Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you usually buy?
Name brands 16 17.78%
Store brands 3 3.33%
Whichever is on sale/the cheapest 17 18.89%
Depends on the item 54 60.00%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 09:50 AM

677 posts, read 4,210,917 times

Advertisements

I usually buy name brand food because that's how I was raised, but I know that sometimes what's sold under a store brand is exactly the same as the name brand because the store buys the name brand's surplus. That's not always the case though and I've had some really bad store brand food so I stick to the name brands. Anyway, while I was grocery shopping this past weekend, I wanted to get Nestle Drumsticks, and they only had the family size box in the store brand. I bought it and I can't tell the difference, except that the nuts are smaller. (I'm the kind of anal person who notices things like that. ) So I'm wondering...am I missing out by sticking to name brands? Could I be saving money without sacrificing food quality?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2007, 10:02 AM

1,174 posts, read 5,902,955 times
Some items I couldn't care less, if the store brand is cheaper, but it isn't always. Other things, like ketchup, mayonnaise, ice cream, and condiments, I stick to brands I like though now I'm taking to making my own and like mine much better . I generally check the ingredient list to see if the store brand has the same ingredients because store brands are usually just re-labeled name brands. If they match perfectly, I'll grab the store brand if it's cheaper.

Other things like paper towels or sponges or and other non-food items, I'll buy the store brand much more readily.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:17 AM

41,957 posts, read 75,192,887 times
There are very few things I'm brand-loyal to, the biggest being Coke and 7-Up. Store brand pop is just plain nasty!

For me, it really depends on the product -- and ironically, name brands and store brands are often manufactured in the same plants -- and the price. I don't like store brand canned soup and will pay for a name brand that I like, but even though I prefer Kroger Toasted O's (or whatever they call them) to Cheerios, I'll buy Cheerios if they're on sale and cheaper than the store brand. The only way to learn is by experimenting.

You too often can't go wrong, though, using store brands as an ingredient in something else -- tomato paste in spaghetti sauce, frozen vegetables in stew, canned beans in chili, that sort of thing -- especially in a dish that's highly spiced or flavored anyway.

Old 05-18-2007, 11:26 AM

688 posts, read 2,836,309 times
We have a grocery store here called Wegmans. I love this store! All of their brands are really good it is right up there with the name brand stuff, in all actuality, in general, most of the store brands usually are the same stuff anyway, you just pay more for the prettier or nicer packaging. Wouldn't you say?? But at the store here, there's been quite a few items that I've thought tasted much better than the name brand. Sometimes, the name brands will go on a special though, and if it costs less than the store brand at the time, I will buy it.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:12 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
The only brand name things we buy consistently are coke, mountain dew, @ mayonaise. I have found that most store brands we have tried are pretty high quality. (We shop at HEB here in houston) I stopped buying name brand cereal when it topped 4bucks for a box. Wherever I can save money I will do it.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:47 PM

3,294 posts, read 9,188,072 times
Quote:
The only brand name things we buy consistently are coke, mountain dew, @ mayonaise.
And not just any mayo for me, it HAS to be Duke's. I even ordered it and had it shipped to me while I spent 5 years in MI. (Unless I was down visiting family and bought some). Duke's can only be found in certain southern states and is the original NO SUGAR mayo.

I also by name brands on flour (WhiteLily), Splenda, Coke products, and canned tuna. (Store brand there is usually nasty tasting).

Some things, it's not an issue for others only certain brands will do. Liz

Old 05-18-2007, 02:27 PM

2,489 posts, read 7,212,274 times
I should have added that we do purchase a special kind of spaghetti sauce it is Pasana. We found it once at Costco when we lived in Ca and could never buy it again. We resorted to having them ship a case to us in Ca. I was so excited to find it here in the grocery store. They don't carry all the flavors but I buy it everytime I am there so they keep stocking it.

Old 05-18-2007, 04:29 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,096,422 times
I rarely buy anything but name brand. When I've tried out the store brands, I end up with more water (say in green beans) or the end of the bean is still there; cream corn is horrendous in store brands. So I figure I'll save by buying something I know we'll eat instead of buying cheaper and throwing part of it out. And many times we see sales (like buy 1 get 1 free) on canned goods, salad dressings, mayo, etc., so I stock up.

Old 05-18-2007, 05:00 PM

633 posts, read 2,541,631 times
I will buy name brand when it comes to things like peanut butter or jelly, that makes a huge difference to me. Things like bread, pasta, baking staples, canned fruit/veggies not so much.

Old 05-19-2007, 02:13 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,699,609 times
I usually buy name-brand just because I know it'll be good. I'm not exactly adventurous when it comes to things like this, I'd rather stick to something I'm used to. I've had some store-brand items that are just plain disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink