Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2009, 08:08 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,391,254 times

Advertisements

MANHATTAN BEACH, Calif., Dec. 11 (UPI) -- A California-based travel Web site is marking the frigid temperatures of the holiday season
by ranking the world's "Top Five Places for Great Hot Chocolate."

The famous hot chocolate at the Angelina restaurant in Paris, France, was chosen as the world's best by VirtualTourist.com, which described the eatery's version of the beverage as "super-rich."

Web site lists top places for hot cocoa - UPI.com

Old 01-07-2010, 05:05 PM

17 posts, read 64,988 times
I heard the frozen hot chocolate at New York Serendipity 3 is truly amazing but...when I want hot chocolate - I kinda prefer it to be hot!

Old 01-07-2010, 06:57 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,909,297 times
I guess I'm a purist when it comes to hot chocolate.

I take about a pound of bittersweet European dark chocolate bar and melt it in a double boiler. I have a dairy nearby that sells raw milk and heavy cream. I sweeten the chocolate with sufficient sugar so it tastes right and gradually add milk until I have about a quart of chocolate mixed (when I go to this much trouble, I should make a cup??????). I then add the heavy cream until I get the consistency of eggnog/half and half....add a splash of Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur). Leave it in the double boiler until it is piping hot. Serve in a warmed cup, add a fresh marshmallow, and enjoy.......go back for seconds (do NOT share unless it is someone you REALLY like). Go back for thirds, and maybe fourths.......diet tomorrow..........

Old 01-08-2010, 05:53 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,550,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

I take about a pound of bittersweet European dark chocolate bar and melt it in a double boiler. I have a dairy nearby that sells raw milk and heavy cream. I sweeten the chocolate with sufficient sugar so it tastes right and gradually add milk until I have about a quart of chocolate mixed (when I go to this much trouble, I should make a cup??????). I then add the heavy cream until I get the consistency of eggnog/half and half....add a splash of Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur). Leave it in the double boiler until it is piping hot. Serve in a warmed cup, add a fresh marshmallow, and enjoy.......go back for seconds (do NOT share unless it is someone you REALLY like). Go back for thirds, and maybe fourths.......diet tomorrow..........

I think I love you GoodPasture, I shall leave my husband this instant and join you in a Heaven of real Hot Chocolate ! Marry me and we can wonder the earth in search of real hot chocolate.....

I don't even add sugar to mine ! And marshmallows are not my thing but it is so good to meet someone who understands that hot chocolate NEEDS real dark chocolate not milky sweet cloyingness.

Angelina's in Paris is absolutely dreamy but one of the best hot chocolates I have ever had ( over and over again as it's addictive) is at " Gerbaud" in Budapest. It was so dark and thick the spoon almost stood up of its own accord in the cup. Heaven, heaven, heaven.... And their cakes are simply, simply divine.

Gerbeaud Budapest

Budapest tea rooms offer some fabulous hot chocolate including "Angelika" on the other side of the Danube . Vienna is pretty darn good too.

Old 01-08-2010, 08:44 AM

16,061 posts, read 26,635,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post

Yum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink