U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:04 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,603,271 times

Advertisements

Do any of you do that?

I looked at the nutritional info for Carino's because a group I'm apart of eats there every Monday. I was definitely shocked and disgusted by the calories in a lot of their food and all the freakin' sodium.

I'm not a big Carino's fan and I would feel weird not eating anything while everyone else is eating; I ended up not going to the event.

Of course I realize one can't look at the nutritional info for locally owned restaurants unless they take the time to tell you....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 12:53 PM

19,116 posts, read 27,880,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Do any of you do that?

I looked at the nutritional info for Carino's because a group I'm apart of eats there every Monday. I was definitely shocked and disgusted by the calories in a lot of their food and all the freakin' sodium.

I'm not a big Carino's fan and I would feel weird not eating anything while everyone else is eating; I ended up not going to the event.

Of course I realize one can't look at the nutritional info for locally owned restaurants unless they take the time to tell you....
Couldn't you have just ordered a small salad with dressing on the side? A group of girls from work go to Applebees every once in a while and their menu makes me sad

I always get a house salad and bring my own raspberry vinagarette from home. One of the other girls has started doing the same thing

Old 12-23-2009, 02:42 PM

12,054 posts, read 21,153,310 times
[quote=JetJockey;12146013]Couldn't you have just ordered a small salad with dressing on the side? A group of girls from work go to Applebees every once in a while and their menu makes me sad

Doesn't Applebee's have a Weight Watchers menu with listed points? I thought I read that somewhere.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:43 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,603,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Couldn't you have just ordered a small salad with dressing on the side? A group of girls from work go to Applebees every once in a while and their menu makes me sad

I always get a house salad and bring my own raspberry vinagarette from home. One of the other girls has started doing the same thing
I looked at their salads and even those were loaded with calories.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 PM

122 posts, read 354,637 times
I'd say you are too obsessed with food/nutrition. Just eat....if you eat to much, go excersise.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:24 AM

9,464 posts, read 14,846,707 times
Most restaurants are high in calories - that's why they say if you're trying to lose weight, don't eat out very often. I think a large calorie meal every now and then is not going to kill you... as long as you eat healthy in general, eating out occasionally is okay.

Personally, I don't really need to watch calories so much as I just need to eat healthy for my IBS. So if I'm trying to be healthy while eating out, I try to order something plain. Like if there's a chicken dish with some kind of sauce on it, I ask if I can get the chicken plain, no sauce. I also stay away from fries and only drink water. And don't get starters or dessert. That's what keeps my stomach happy and I imagine it would keep the calorie count down too.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:40 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,710,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleLove08 View Post
Do any of you do that?

Don't worry about singling out Carinos, ALL chain resturants serve high sodium and high fat/calorie foods, most local or M&Ps are just as bad. Your best bet is to order a plain salad (no meat, cheese or croutons) with vin & oil (not Italian) dressing. A better plan, if your diet allows it, is to cut way back on salt/fats a few days before and after the meal, and just order and enjoy a normal meal with your friends.

You do have some low-cal or low-carb options at most restuarants now, but a low-carb choice may not be low calorie, or a low-fat choice might have too much sodium, and so on. And I'm sick of items loaded with salt being called "heart healthy"!

Some places have nutrition info posted on the wall somewhere, or availible in a flyer, most have it on their websites. There are also lots of independant websites that post the info. Knowing before you go can help you select "lesser evils".

You should also be aware of average nutritional info for condiments and extras, if you need to be accurate. For instance, a few shakes of soy or hot sauce can easily triple the sodium of a item!

Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 PM

2,547 posts, read 4,265,487 times
Most restuarants now, have a section on their menus with food selections that are lower in calories and such. For people who are on a diet or watching what they eat. I sometimes order from that section when I don't want a heavy meal. Applebee's, Chili's, and Coco's have that in their menus now.

Old 12-27-2009, 01:08 AM

467 posts, read 649,299 times
Just order from the appetizer menu and get something small when in complete doubt.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:23 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,710,225 times
Appetizers can have as much fat/sodium as an entree. It's about the content of the food, not the quantity
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink