U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:20 AM

4,146 posts, read 9,644,410 times

Advertisements

I think all people should be forced to wait tables at some point in their young life. It teaches you how to treat people, and it teaches you what a hard job waiting tables is. How you treat your waiter is very often a very good example of how you treat people in general. If you cannot afford to tip, don't go out to eat.

That being said, this is a troll thread and we probably won't see the fool OP again.
Rate this post positively

Old 12-26-2009, 10:28 AM

8,399 posts, read 20,962,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
I think all people should be forced to wait tables at some point in their young life. It teaches you how to treat people, and it teaches you what a hard job waiting tables is. How you treat your waiter is very often a very good example of how you treat people in general. If you cannot afford to tip, don't go out to eat.

That being said, this is a troll thread and we probably won't see the fool OP again.
Agreed. It also teaches you about people in general. Waiting is a great way to learn about the huge spectrum of folks in the world, especially like the OP.

Luckily, I think they are the minority, as most of us realize and appreciate the hard work and effort put in by wait staff.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:27 PM

3,215 posts, read 7,782,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post

There is nothing more humbling than a job working with the general public...especially a low paying job. Waitrer, cashier, CSR...been there, done that!! Cannot stand the "others exist to serve me attitude". Unfortunately, it is more prevalent than you would think!

Agree, EVERYONE should have to work one of these jobs at some point!

Old 12-26-2009, 02:13 PM

6,716 posts, read 9,894,852 times
I've never worked as a waiter - nor would I. Not because it's "beneath" me, but because of the attitude most folks have towards them! The OP was gleefully pointing out how he didn't tip IF it wasn't a place he regularly went - in other words, he figures he's "getting over" on the poor ******* that's been taking care of him.

I do NOT tip routinely - IOW, it's earned each and every time. I've been known to match the bill for a tip because of absolutely outstanding service, but that's so rare that it's happened less than a handful of times. Generally speaking, it's 10-20%. On rare occassions, I've had service SO bad that I'll either leave a penny (rare) or demand to see the manager (rare, but I don't hesitate to do so). I'm on the road a LOT - so I'm pretty particular on service. I did leave a 50% tip yesterday despite mediocre service, simply because it WAS Christmas and I felt the waitress tried her best, but was simply overwhelmed (short-staffed).

Old 12-26-2009, 02:32 PM

443 posts, read 830,246 times
I'm guessing this is a troll, but I'll bite.

I drop 20% for average service, more as warranted. Not only is their income derived primarily from tips, since straight pay is below minimum, last January a new tax went into effect which hits those who get a supplementary check in addition to their regular paycheck.

It's a good thing you don't return to those places where you neglect to tip. That usually warrants *special* treatment from your waitstaff.

Old 12-26-2009, 03:02 PM

1,836 posts, read 3,474,240 times
Another example of combining vodka and City-Data with a splash of late-night stupidity thrown in for good measure.

He's a troll. Ignore him. He'll go away. He's got 10 posts to his name.

BN

Old 12-26-2009, 07:32 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,411,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminNicholas View Post
Another example of combining vodka and City-Data with a splash of late-night stupidity thrown in for good measure.

He's a troll. Ignore him. He'll go away. He's got 10 posts to his name.

BN
That's why I say "if you ignore it, it will go away".

I tip. Guess that's how I was raised. Life experiences have taught me much about karma.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:11 PM

317 posts, read 1,654,148 times
I tip. And I make a point to tip in cash.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:24 PM

443 posts, read 830,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmmjsm View Post
I tip. And I make a point to tip in cash.
Yeah, now there's another point. I do the same and leave it between their conscience and the IRS to fight it out.

Also, some places require that the waitperson share with supporting staff, further reducing their take.

The thing that gets me these days is all the tip jars where you'd never see them before. It's kind of odd and I've wondered if it turns many people off a place. Sandwich shops, ice cream parlours, burrito places.... I leave them all some cash, but I do admit I feel like I am partially funding some of these business owners. About the only reason I carry cash these days is for tipping and dropping a dollar to someone standing on a street corner.

It's odd how some things have reversed. It used to be common (at least for me) to tip at Jim's Frontier Burger, so when Sonic came in over on the southside in the 70s I'd do the same. Now they seemed shocked, so I guess that has come to an end. Luby's always had "tea queens" and no one ever tipped them, now it seems to be expected.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:38 PM

2,790 posts, read 5,411,449 times
Yeah, I had Double Dave's the other day and eyeballed the tip jar at the order area. You want me to tip you for taking my money... and I'm just not going to tip you for that. You can tip me for paying you... hmmm.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.