U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 12:53 AM

3 posts, read 3,847 times

Advertisements

Moderator cut: inappropriate

Personally I think it's plain stupid to tip if you don't eat at the same restaurant frequently and it's not enforced by law. (Some are mandatory tips for large parties which I'm not asking about)

For instance whenever I go to denny's or chili's I never tip even if they do a good job because 1. more money for me and 2. I don't pay people for acting nice or doing their job well they should any way even if they're getting paid minimum wage. If they don't then they should be turned in for not doing their job even if you don't tip them. If they go out of their way to make me happy though I'll give them a smile just because it's humane.

the worst thing is I feel bad for the waitstaff because they expect me to tip when really I just want to tell them I'm not going to tip them, and I would tell them except I don't think they'd do their job, so I cant tell them =/

And the most hilarious thing about all this is people will call you a cheapskate and I'm like yeah.. and we're the ones who survive recessions lol while the rest of (idiotic) america goes broke. I heard from a pizza delivery friend that the richest housing areas tip the least, probably because they realize how to get money, and thats by not throwing it away when the law doesnt make you.

Last edited by Chickrae; 12-26-2009 at 08:27 PM.. Reason: took out inappropriate word and now its not SA related
Rate this post positively

Old 12-26-2009, 01:47 AM

111 posts, read 261,016 times
Wrote out a long reply that was eaten by the forum, rather than write it out again I'll just repost my main point: FYI minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13 per hour (as opposed to non-tipped employees at $7.25 per hour). Also, hope you don't visit the same restaurant twice, because non-tippers are so incredibly rare and despised that most waitstaff will remember non-tippers for years. Hope you don't mind spit in your food.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:09 AM

114,744 posts, read 57,155,811 times
Get a real job!! Restaurants should pay their employees a real living wage . Don't make beggars of their employees.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:02 AM

1,414 posts, read 978,281 times
I left an $11 tip for a $9 tab at the pub yesterday and didn't feel the slightest bit 'retarded.' Bragging about being a tightwad, however ...

Old 12-26-2009, 05:17 AM

13,806 posts, read 27,084,498 times
I would comment, but this was probably a drunk post and the thread will probably be deleted soon enough. I'm definitely agreeing with DerpyDerp's last comment, though... and I left more than a 20% tip yesterday because it was Christmas and I know the pain of having to work that day since I put in 12 hours myself.

Old 12-26-2009, 05:18 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,697,986 times
1st post to the SA forums and this is your topic? Well, I'll throw in my 2 cents anyway. I tip, usually on the low side (15-20%) unless the service is exceptional. The only time I don't tip is for terrible service or sometimes in those cases where I don't even know who my server is. I also overtip when the service/food is great, and for takeout at places I go often.

I don't feel bad on the occasions I give a low or no tip. I feel someone who works for tips (or commission for that matter) has made their choice to "gamble" they will make more money than if they took an min hourly wage or salary.

JMO

Old 12-26-2009, 07:03 AM

417 posts, read 911,124 times
I tip.

Old 12-26-2009, 08:54 AM

1,316 posts, read 3,128,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vormgiving View Post
So let's see how many out there are retarded or not in SA (;

Personally I think it's plain stupid to tip if you don't eat at the same restaurant frequently and it's not enforced by law. (Some are mandatory tips for large parties which I'm not asking about)

For instance whenever I go to denny's or chili's I never tip even if they do a good job because 1. more money for me and 2. I don't pay people for acting nice or doing their job well they should any way even if they're getting paid minimum wage. If they don't then they should be turned in for not doing their job even if you don't tip them. If they go out of their way to make me happy though I'll give them a smile just because it's humane.

the worst thing is I feel bad for the waitstaff because they expect me to tip when really I just want to tell them I'm not going to tip them, and I would tell them except I don't think they'd do their job, so I cant tell them =/

And the most hilarious thing about all this is people will call you a cheapskate and I'm like yeah.. and we're the ones who survive recessions lol while the rest of (idiotic) america goes broke. I heard from a pizza delivery friend that the richest housing areas tip the least, probably because they realize how to get money, and thats by not throwing it away when the law doesnt make you.

Are you out of your mind? Hello??? Tipped waiters get 2.13 an hour! So if you're not tipping them, you're basically expecting them to work for "free" for you. Would you enjoy working for free? Probably not, right? Exactly.

If you don't tip because you think it's "their" job you need to realize they aren't personal servants.

Many of them are students subsisting on very limited means, retirees, and fathers and mothers trying to make ends meet.

I've been a waiter/server before. I've worked at a very fancy Italian restaurant making good tips and the other at a very small modest place making not so great tips.

To be very honest with you, it didn't bother me if I knew someone couldn't afford to tip much (sometimes you know who can and who cannot) but it DID bother me when I saw some people who I knew had money and didn't tip well or didn't tip at all!

A couple of months ago, I was about a month into working my minimum wage job (that I still have now) and me and my Aunt when to eat a modest/small but popular Mexican restaurant. Our total tab came up to about $10 dollars and I put in $4 dollars as the tip! Now I probably could have just put in 1 or 2 dollars but as someone who has worked in food service I know what a difficult job it can be at times.

I think it speaks volumes about you when you admit you're "cheap skate."

I hope one of these days you won't be in a position to work where you depend on tips to subsist or someone you know (a friend, nephew, sister, cousin, a neighbor) because maybe then you'll realize what a difficult job it is and how it affects their living.

Karma will always be working its ways on all of us

Last edited by xsa210tx; 12-26-2009 at 09:12 AM..

Old 12-26-2009, 09:03 AM

5,615 posts, read 13,365,926 times
How about haircut places? Is tipping expected there, because they always ask how much to put on the card when I leave.

Old 12-26-2009, 09:11 AM

8,399 posts, read 20,885,859 times
Herbrocks

I wouldn't consider 15-20% the "low side," it's more the average. I usually tip at 20% and if service is good I'll tip 25%. The few times we get exceptional service I will tip 33%. Sometimes, for small bills ($3-4), I will leave a couple of dollar bills on the table because I think a single covers it. I'd rather overtip than undertip.

I don't consider myself "retarded," I know restaurants don't pay the wait staff well and although I don't agree with it, if they did they would only raise their prices because of it. I prefer having the option to "reward" the staff for their performance instead of it being automatic.

Sure, there was some convenience when we were stationed in Europe, where the tip is either not expected or is minimal (I once saw a Slovak military officer tip 1.5¢ for lunch! That's right, one-and-a-half cents!); but on the other hand it is much more expensive to eat out there that you have no recourse is you get lousy service (a rarity, but it happens).

Overall, I disagree with all of your logic behind being a poor tipper. I am sure your reward of a smile for someone's hard efforts to serve you are not well received. I am sure you expect good service when you sit down to eat at a restaurant, and some gratuity is expected in return. I hope you never reach a point in your life where you are on the other side of the situation, and for those of us who are lucky enough to be doing well, a little "spreading of the wealth" helps those who are at least trying to earn a wage. I would much rather give money to someone who is working for it, than to just give it away to panhandlers who may be feigning desolation...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.