Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 08:16 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

Something very odd happened to me tonight and I'm wondering if anyone in CD land has any ideas about what it could be.

I went to a Thai restaurant with three other people tonight.

I had the following:

1. Hot jasmine tea without any sugar or sweetener;
2. A shrimp and noodle spring roll with cilantro and carrots and some sort of dipping sauce
3. Tom Kha--a lemon grass soup with mushrooms and tofu
4. Steamed rice.

Toward the end of the meal I asked for a glass of water without any ice and it had a slice of lemon in it that I squeezed into the water.

Everything tasted good and normal.

For some reason which I'm still trying to figure out, toward the end of the meal my teeth, tongue and gums all turned blue--like I'd been eating a blue snowcone or candy. My teeth felt like they had some sort of residue on them--but sometimes they feel that way with tea. I talked to the waitress and owner and they had no idea. I saw some blue Windex glass cleaner on a counter, but they assured me they didn't use it on the glasses or anything.

I came home and was able to brush most of it away although my teeth hard-to-reach gum spaces are still a little bluish. I feel fine.

Does anyone have any idea what that could be? I've racked my brain, but can't figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 09:31 PM

522 posts, read 1,405,659 times
Have you seen a doctor or a dentist?
Could be some strange reaction.
I don't think the Windex would stain your teeth even if it is blue because it comes out pretty clear when used. Even if it were possible you'd have to consume a lot of it to get it to stain like that, and I'm pretty you would've tasted it.

Old 12-26-2009, 11:47 PM

467 posts, read 713,206 times
Maybe an allergic reaction?

Old 12-27-2009, 07:44 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,459,152 times
This is way off topic but my friend once had some canned chili and then an hour or so later had a stomach ache. She took some pepto and a little while later her tongue turned blue. She started freaking out thinking she had some disease and went to the ER. Turns out it was a reaction with the pepto and chili residue on her teeth? strange but very amusing for her.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:28 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
This is way off topic but my friend once had some canned chili and then an hour or so later had a stomach ache. She took some pepto and a little while later her tongue turned blue. She started freaking out thinking she had some disease and went to the ER. Turns out it was a reaction with the pepto and chili residue on her teeth? strange but very amusing for her.
That's interesting. I've been thinking that maybe it was a reaction between lemon juice that I squeezed into my water and something I had already eaten. There was chili in my soup so maybe.....

In any case, I haven't felt bad and nothing else happened. Just a weird food-related incident.

Thanks for the replies!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:42 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,594,189 times
What comes to mind to me is the possibility of silver amalgam and that sort of thing. Sometimes dental fillings will leach a blue-ish color. Was the food served in metal? Perhaps there was a reaction and leaching between that and any dental fillings you might have? Just a thought. Glad you're feeling well and that the color is going away! The meal sounds tasty

Old 12-28-2009, 10:44 AM

8,411 posts, read 39,262,240 times
Something that came in a tin can will pull the copper from the can. The acid in your mouth oxidized the copper turning it blue.

Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 AM

5,404 posts, read 15,995,916 times
Just so you know in the future----they don't (or very rarely) wash those lemons that you drop in your water.....you may want to rethink the lemon thing!

Old 12-28-2009, 11:20 AM

Wait..was the jasmine tea in a copper pot? Could be from that too...

Old 12-28-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Just so you know in the future----they don't (or very rarely) wash those lemons that you drop in your water.....you may want to rethink the lemon thing!
OSHA codes require that you do. If most people saw what went on behind kitchen doors at places with poor mngmt they would be rethinking the whole going out to eat all together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink