Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:19 PM

1,933 posts, read 3,751,361 times

Advertisements

I miss going to the butchers. When I was a little girl in NYC my mom would take me to the butchers all the time. I remember looking at tripe and thinking ewwwww. But there was just something about going to the butchers. The meat in my eyes always look truly fresh and never ever a brown look to it as you would find at some supermarkets today.

Then when I moved to the UK I frequented the butchers and would buy meat for a whole week for under 40 pounds including Goose Fat and bones for the dog. The meat was superb. When I returned to the US my husband and I found it hard to eat meat from supermarkets. There was a different taste and quality.

I wish there were more independent butchers around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 04:17 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faster_kitty_faster View Post
Hi,

I live in Pennsylvania and butchers are everywhere.
I regularly purchase hamburger, sausage and steaks from various butchers around town.

Butchers here are extremely busy.

Is this not the case in other parts of the country?

Julia
Nope, Butcher's are a thing of the past in most parts of the country. I should have mentioned the bone the Butcher gave me for our dog was always free.

Even though I was very young I can still remember exactly what he looks like.

Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Nope, Butcher's are a thing of the past in most parts of the country. I should have mentioned the bone the Butcher gave me for our dog was always free.

Even though I was very young I can still remember exactly what he looks like.

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...eTytdvSt0FLWcA

Last edited by Beretta; 11-07-2011 at 05:14 PM..

Old 11-07-2011, 06:09 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I have to go to the Latino meat markets for most innards I like to eat. Seems the "American" supermarkets won't carry the good stuff.

Old 11-08-2011, 11:32 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,887,682 times
We're lucky in having contacts with beef farmers. When they have one ready, we buy a half at a time. He takes it to the processor, they call us when it's ready, we go pick it up.
There is SUCH a huge difference between this beef and store bought. I hate it when we run out of steaks but still have half a freezer full of hamburger!! (Like right now.) One of the farmers called recently and said he's got one nearly ready. I wish I had somewhere to put it!!
I've always been spoiled like this, grew up on a farm where we did the same thing.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:21 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times
Sav-a-Lot is now called El Ahorro in South Texas, where they are making a heavy pitch for the Hispanic market. They've made a huge step in the right direction. The local store here now has a proper meat counter, staffed by people in bloody aprons. There are about 40 plexiglass bins full of various cuts of meats (including chicken feet). The butcher behind the bin counter reaches in and pulls out the weight and the cuts you request, and packages it up. No pre-packed Styrofoam trays of cello-wrapped meat. I don't know how much actual cutting they do onsite.

They've also opened a little taqueria in the store, with a few booths and real Mexican food, prepared from scratch on site. It is, literally, the most "Mexican" food service place I have ever seen in the United States (not tex-mex, real Mexican), and is very cheap. About 8 different soft-taco fillings, a dozen condiments, a few platos like beans/rice, menudo on weekends, etc. $1.29 for two tacos, all the added condiments you want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink