Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 02:08 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times

Advertisements

I love omelets! Some people fill theirs with meat, veggies, and cheese, cooking the eggs and then putting everything in the middle. I don't make mine this way. I whisk the eggs with the herbs and seasonings, saute the meat and veggies in some butter, then add the eggs. I roll the pan a bit and lift the sides to get the raw eggs to run underneath. When everything is just set, I add cheese, and then fold it out onto a pan. I hate runny eggs, so everything has to be completely set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 02:22 PM

3,131 posts, read 11,648,036 times
I use my smallest non-stick skillet(about 6 inch pan) get it hot, but not too hot. put in a pat of butter. add the eggs. don't have the heat too high. put a cover on it for a little while. let it get slightly set, pour on my add ins..my kids like bacon and a little cheese. put the lid back on. let the mixture get a little more set. flip half of the mixture over on top(the inside should still be slightly loose). put the lid back on for a minute. uncover, flip the omelet over. cover for a quick 30 seconds or so. uncover and serve. your omelet should have a slight bit of brown on the sides and be fluffy this way. I use 3 eggs. and about 5 pieces of bacon. we use turkey bacon, so it needs to be crispy.
hope this helps.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:31 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,449,708 times
Default Just comes with practice

You really need some good equipment, I've found -- a well-seasoned skillet (about a 6-8") and a flexible spatula that will let you 'cut' the egg away from the sides of the pan and flip it, one half onto the other.

For an 8" skillet, I will spray it with PAM, or other cooking oil, and set the heat on medium. Scramble three eggs with a whisk, and a TBS or so of water. Pour into the skillet. As the egg cooks, gently push the more-cooked egg away from the side of the pan -- I literally lift the small skillet with one hand, and use the spatula in the other -- and let the uncooked egg run into the pan from the side(s). It helps the omelet cook a little more evenly. Do this several times, letting the uncooked, runny egg run onto the sides of the skillet. Slow-and-steady does it.

When the omelet is about 80% cooked, I add whatever filling suits me: try all sorts of things you like; just have them ready before you begin. One of my favorites is bacon, spinach, mushroom, and cheese. I'll fry two slices of bacon in a large skillet, and then cook some sliced mushrooms to the doneness I like, push them to another side, and throw in handfuls of fresh spinach, and put the lid on it all. I can get as many as 2-3 omelets from this, if I am making Sunday omelets for the family. You can turn off the heat on the fillings, while you prepare the egg in a smaller skillet.

Once the fillings are on the omelet, in the small skillet, add cheese, either slices, or grated. Put the lid on the skillet for a minute or so to soften the cheese, and then, using the spatula, flip the omelet to form a half circle (folding one side onto the other). Generally, I can then let it sit in the pan for a minute to heat everything through, and slide it onto a plate.

As for making an omelet 'pretty,' it just comes with experience and practice. And finding the right tools -- a well-seasoned skillet is key, as is the right spatula. Too stiff of a spatula, and you can't work the omelet with it; too flimsy, and it won't support the weight of the omelet when you try to fold it in half.

And. . . keep a jar of salsa or the like, to sort of cover up a not-so-pretty omelet. A melted cheese sauce also works nicely. Good luck. With practice, and experimenting with your tools, you'll get it.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM

1,032 posts, read 3,918,694 times
I use room temperature eggs, and I just mix them well; I don't want a lot of air in the eggs. The last thing I want is a "fluffy" omelet; I like mine almost crepe-like. Mushrooms and swiss in mine, thanks.

Old 01-10-2010, 05:27 PM

2,480 posts, read 5,320,642 times
If you are non adept like I am I know there are specific omelet pans which turn over the omelet. Just google omelet pans-they are not that expensive.
Can't give an opinion as I have not bought one-don't make that may omelets.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 PM

8,514 posts, read 4,494,038 times
I agree with the seasoned well greased pan. I do add a bit of water to 2 beaten eggs.

I do have one other thing I do, I cover the omelet to cook the top. This way you can keep the heat low enough not to burn the egg, but yet cook the egg. When done, I fold the omelet in half to finish cooking, then turn onto plate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink