Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 11:38 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,418,502 times

Advertisements

Hello to everyone. I imagine most of us are freezing.Does anyone have tips to share on making omelets at home? Mine always taste fine, but the appearance is hit and miss. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 06:34 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,699,189 times
I could give you a thousand tips, but watch some youtube videos and practice will be your best bet

Old 01-10-2010, 06:45 AM

16,176 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJagMan View Post
I could give you a thousand tips, but watch some youtube videos and practice will be your best bet
I agree. I learned from watching a chef. And practice, practice, practice.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 AM

878 posts, read 2,736,393 times
Agree on practice and videos but I will share with you some of my tips.

First, I use eggbeaters, now that is not for everyone but it makes them perfectly. And my last tip is to put the ingredients in the pan first and let them cook then pour the eggs over it and eventually fold...may not be a classic one but that works for me. And again it depends on what your ingredients are.

Good luck

Old 01-10-2010, 07:19 AM

2,482 posts, read 8,730,791 times
Be sure to use a non-stick pan that is buttered well. Grease is where its at.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:37 AM

28,227 posts, read 21,843,220 times
We cheat and fold in half in pan!

Old 01-10-2010, 07:39 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,833,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antiquesmountainapache View Post
Hello to everyone. I imagine most of us are freezing.Does anyone have tips to share on making omelets at home? Mine always taste fine, but the appearance is hit and miss. Thanks!
most classical omelettes look very bland. I dont make omelettes any more, the egg is over cooked and most times folks make them spongy. I know some folk that cook omelettes till its brown on the bottom...

I like very fast scrambled eggs, and if you watch Jac Pipen and Julia Childs
make omelettes, the scramble the egg in the pan, let it set and roll it out of the pan. The outside of the omelette is very smooth and bland looking.

I put a fresh tomato cooked salsa over my eggs.
  • I use diced breakfast meat(bacon, sausage, ham...ect cooked)opt.
  • diced tomatos
  • diced onion
  • any other diced veggies you like(mushrooms, peppers, potatos,)
  • diced jalepeno-serrano or red pepper flake to taste
  • salt, pepper, dash of garlic powder-cumin powder
  • fresh cilantro
saute onion in a pan, add tomato, veggies and spices...saute till tomatos become soft.

add 1/4 cup water and cilantro, and meat sitr untill heated, and spoon over eggs of your choice.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:51 AM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
I use my small cast iron, I think 6" or so. I heat the pan first, add butter to coat the bottom. I only do 2 eggs beat with a splash of water, as 3 seem to be too much, and pour in the pan. Heat seems to be the biggest factor, not to low or eggs absorb the butter and if too high it will start to set the bottom too fast so you can't move the wet to cook all the way. When they start to thicken I use a spatula to pull the cooked toward the center and swirl the pan to distribute the wet around the outside edge. When the center puffs up, I will put a slit or two in the center to drain to the bottom. When the top is almost set, I put the filling in if using and let cook another minute or so without moving. I then loosen the edge to lift toward the center about 1/3 of the way(furthest side from the plate, then while tipping the pan toward a plate roll out. The seam 'usually' ends up on the bottom and I toss a few more toppings on top to finish.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:27 AM

Location: I never said I was perfect so no refunds here sorry!
6,489 posts, read 7,178,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaceyEx View Post
We cheat and fold in half in pan!
I keep having a problem folding that darn pan, I can never get that right

Old 01-10-2010, 12:16 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
The pan should be hot enough that when the egg mixture hits the pan, the sides should set immediately. Granny's right - push cooked portions from the edges toward the center with an inverted turner and tilt the pan.

(I was part of a crew that helped Howard Helmer [Guinness World Records “World’s Fastest Omelet Maker.”] hit his record 427 omelets years ago )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink