Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 02:55 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times

Advertisements

We always end up spending too much money eating out when we get into a terrible food rut.

But that's where we are.

Nothing (I mean nothing) sounds good. In the past few weeks we have had chicken several different ways BBQ, roasted and in a cassarole, a pork roast, pork chops, spaghetti, green chili enchiladas, meat loaf, BBQ ribs (and BBQ pork), hamburgers, brats, stew, chili, soup, talapia....

Along with all the side dishes that go with it, of course including salads on a regular basis...

Nothing sounds good to me. I need suggestions.

Before you start.....

NO GARLIC. None. Zip. Nada. Onions as long as they are hidden and not crunchy are ok.
I like curry, husband won't touch it.
Seafood is too expensive in Missouri (and usually poor quality).
Husband is a carnivore. Meat is a must.
Meals must be HEARTY (no quiche, crepes, custards, frou-frou things)
Not a huge fruit fan. Not a big fan of "exotic" ingredients like Artichokes, parsnips, eggplant - stuff like that.
I like strong flavors - game meat is great but expensive and hard to come by.

Ideas anyone?

20yrsinBranson

20yrsinBranson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 03:07 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,164,518 times
I'm kind of feeling like you. I'm on a tight budget and need to use what I have right now. Luckily, I have a freezer full of veggies, fish, and meat. I can also buy fresh veggies and I like artichoke, eggplant...

I feel like I'm in a rut, too. I'm going to jerk some frying chicken just because I'm bored with chicken cooked every other way.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:20 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
Meatballs? I am making these on Thursday.

Fast and Friendly Meatballs Recipe - Allrecipes.com

What about beef stew? Chicken and dumplings?

Old 12-21-2010, 03:22 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
Shepherds pie or Cornish pasties? Both are a ground beef base.

Chicken cacciatore? You can leave the garlic out.

What about beef and broccoli or some other Asian inspired stir-fried dish? Again you can just leave the garlic out, without destroying the dish.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM

22 posts, read 38,727 times
Lasagna - you can do a zillion things to it or just use the normal ingredients

Breakfast - it's not just for breakfast anymore

Old 12-21-2010, 03:23 PM

2,059 posts, read 5,748,978 times
Oh also - steak pie. Or chicken pot pie.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:24 PM

My mom makes a chicken stew, puts it in a pie crust, tops it with mashed potatoes, and bakes it till it's hot.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:26 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Well, a rut's a rut. It helps me to go simple. Roast chicken with classic, basic herbs and spices. Rosemary (strong flavor), thyme, oregano, lemon. Pork with rosemary and pear. Beef with mushrooms and wine or cognac. Remember the tastes of those foods, with accents to them, instead of flailing around trying overpowering cooking methods.

Little taste bursts like nuts and cheeses are good, as well as herbs. Try accompanying a simple meal with french bread toasted with provolone or fontina cheese and fresh parmesan. You really don't need a lot, just a little additional bite to go with your meal. Rice with almonds. Minted peas and carrots. Classic but punchy. Look to the flavor, not the style.

Y'know, I've been posting a lot in the food forum lately. I'm actually not that excited for Christmas--I've got a ton of non-holiday work to do! But maybe I am more looking forward to it than I thought.

Old 12-21-2010, 03:31 PM

My grandma always made this dish she called "goulash," but it wasn't the authentic Hungarian goulash, which has paprika in it. It was more like this:

Classic Goulash Recipe - Allrecipes.com

I think it would be fine without the garlic and with fewer onions. My husband is sensitive to onions, so I frequently reduce what a recipe says.

Another dish of Gram's is "jackpot casserole" (she is the queen of midwestern comfort food), which has ground beef, corn, cheese ... similar to this, but without the olives. I like browning ground turkey or beef with onion, so the onion is nice and soft.

Recipe - Jackpot Casserole - MixingBowl.com (http://www.mixingbowl.com/content/BestEver/recipe/7746213/Jackpot-Casserole - broken link)

Old 12-21-2010, 06:05 PM
B4U

3,612 posts, read 8,293,349 times
I say a good old london broil marinated in a oriental type marinade. You can by them bottled in the salad dressing isle. Or just marinate in pinapple chunks and some soy sauce. Grill or broil. With steamed broccoli or a stir fried rice with the broccoli stir fried in.

Ham steak with au gratin potatoes.

Sword fish steaks broiled (this is a hearty fish and has a solid texture.)

Corned beef & cabbage, or
Corned beef hash and poached eggs.

French toast with thick slices of stale italian bread with thick breakfast sausage links.

Stuffed peppers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink