Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American "regional" foods have you tried at least once in your lifetime?
New England Boiled Dinner (New England) 51 41.80%
Johnny Cakes (New England) 30 24.59%
Clam Chowder (New England) 89 72.95%
Apple Cider (New England) 97 79.51%
Fluffernutter (New England) 40 32.79%
Italian Beef (Chicago) 31 25.41%
Deep Dish Pizza (Chicago) 86 70.49%
Cincinatti chilli 27 22.13%
St. Paul Sandwich (St. Louis) 5 4.10%
Walleye (Minnesota) 31 25.41%
Cheese Curds (Wisconsin) 44 36.07%
New York - style pizza (NYC) 90 73.77%
Pastrami on rye (NYC) 69 56.56%
Philly cheesesteak (Philadelphia) 80 65.57%
Scrapple (Pennsylvania) 26 21.31%
Burrito (Southwestern) 98 80.33%
Salt water taffy (New Jersey) 83 68.03%
Chile relleno (Southwestern) 66 54.10%
Grits (Southern) 84 68.85%
Gumbo (Louisiana) 74 60.66%
Collard greens (Southern) 61 50.00%
Jambalaya (Lousiana?) 79 64.75%
Hush Puppies (Southern) 84 68.85%
Chit'lins (Southern) 18 14.75%
Black eye peas (Southern) 73 59.84%
Boudin (Louisiana) 25 20.49%
Muffuletta (Louisiana) 36 29.51%
Country Fried Steak (Southern) 90 73.77%
Succotash (Southern) 51 41.80%
Chili (Southwestern) 104 85.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 07:06 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times

Advertisements

The ones I've had in no way, shape, nor form even remotely resemble White Castle. the thought that they would is the reason it took living here 5 years before I would even go in an onion burger restaurant. I cannot stand White Castle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 07:26 PM

24,120 posts, read 32,468,260 times
North East PA - Pirogis, (Polish dumplings stuffed with potato, cheese and potato, onions and potato, cabbage, mushrooms, and or meat)

Halkuski - cabbage and noodles

Poppy seed sweet bread a sweet bread roled with ground poppy seeds and honey and nuts.

Old Forge Pizza - Pizza made in Old Forge PA as the name implies. The sauce is sweeter than most other regional pizzas.
The cheese a blend of cheddar mozzarella and other cheeses.

We also have Whoopie pies - from the PA Dutch our neighbors to the south, snickerdoodles, ( a cookie) pickleliiily - a relish. pickled almost anything - beets, string beans, peppers, bean salads, and cucumbers of course)

And the PA Dutch have filling - similar to stuffing, but not always stuffed. Has eggs added.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:30 PM

41,957 posts, read 75,183,468 times
You'll find pierogi anywhere you find people of Polish descent (and that's a good thing). Every corner of Pennsylvania, and in Ohio, Michigan ... The best pierogi I ever had, aside from Grandma's, was at a street festival in Cleveland.

Beef on weck! Yum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by football45013 View Post
You know, I always thought goetta was a Cincinnati thing, but obviously it's not. I don't get what all the fuss is about it, especially here in Cincy.
I think it's more like a German immigrant thing; goetta and scrapple are similar, but not the same.

I don't like it, either.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:33 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I'd love it if real poutine was made with mozzarella! But, alas... the Quebecoise had other plans. As for dipping into gravy, it's so much easier when the whole mess is already swimming in it.

Here's a picture:

By the way, I like the name "disco fries" WAY better than "poutine."
I prefer not to dip my fries in the gravy, but I do dip them in ketchup. Drowning them in gravy makes them soggy and I like well done crispy fries.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:36 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,763,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
North East PA - Pirogis, (Polish dumplings stuffed with potato, cheese and potato, onions and potato, cabbage, mushrooms, and or meat)

Halkuski - cabbage and noodles

Poppy seed sweet bread a sweet bread roled with ground poppy seeds and honey and nuts.

Old Forge Pizza - Pizza made in Old Forge PA as the name implies. The sauce is sweeter than most other regional pizzas.
The cheese a blend of cheddar mozzarella and other cheeses.

We also have Whoopie pies - from the PA Dutch our neighbors to the south, snickerdoodles, ( a cookie) pickleliiily - a relish. pickled almost anything - beets, string beans, peppers, bean salads, and cucumbers of course)

And the PA Dutch have filling - similar to stuffing, but not always stuffed. Has eggs added.
Snickerdoodles are popular here and in Texas as well.

Old 08-15-2012, 08:40 PM

20,935 posts, read 28,420,556 times
snickerdoodles are popular in NY especially in my house LOL

Old 08-15-2012, 10:57 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I now live in New England, so as you said... Whoopie Pies! Also clam chowder (or, if you want to fit in, "clam chowdah!").

Where I'm originally from -- Montreal -- the thing to have is poutine. It's french fries, with bits of cheese, smothered in gravy. It sounds grotesque and looks grotesque -- and I hate the cheese that is traditionally used -- but everyone else loves it. I actually do like it... I just have to take out the bits of cheese.
Oooh ... I discovered Poutine and ... let's just say it's a good thing that I live FAR away from Montreal

Old 08-15-2012, 11:14 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,018,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I tried perogies in Little Poland section of Toronto last month ... They were yummy

As for me, I'm in California so here are some items that may be regional:

- California rolls (sushi rolls with crab meat)
- Mexican food such as quesadillas, breakfast burritos, nachos, enchiladas, tacos, flan .... Oh ... have you guys had ceviche tostadas? It's sort of like a salsa but with crab or fish meat, onions, tomatoes, cucumbers and jalapenos served cold on a tostada shell? So yummy especially during hot weather.
- Pizza's with unique/non-traditional toppings a la California Pizza Kitchen

Gosh ... I cannot think of anything else that may be unique to California but growing up with a mother from Louisiana has exposed me to some items that are more common in Louisiana and the south including:

- Gumbo (spicy stew with sausages, chicken, seafood, okra, corn ... )
- Boudin (Rice/pork mixture with tons of spices and onions/garlic ... stuffed into sausage encasings) - this is an item that is hard to find in California
- Pork Cracklings
- Jambalaya
- Chitterling - pig intestines LOL
- Chicken n dumplings
- fried okra

Old 08-16-2012, 08:01 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,360,870 times
Montana-Porkies. This is a deep fried pork chop sandwich. Pasties-pie dough, wrapped around meat, sort of like a small pot pie.

Utah-Jello, nothing more regional than this food. Literally, you can't go to a potluck without finding a Jello dish.
Sunday, you always had Jello on the table, salad, or dessert.

Funny, I lived in Florida, and really miss the Mojitos, and jerk pork. There is this one fast food place in Florida, you can get black beans, rice, chicken or pork...yummm...not so in Montana. Miss that place. Can't remember the name right off...cheap, and good.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:35 AM

749 posts, read 2,771,821 times
From Michigan there are pasties and thimbleberry jam and morels...lots of wild game, venison, duck, whitefish pate....FUDGE lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink