Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these American "regional" foods have you tried at least once in your lifetime?
New England Boiled Dinner (New England) 51 41.80%
Johnny Cakes (New England) 30 24.59%
Clam Chowder (New England) 89 72.95%
Apple Cider (New England) 97 79.51%
Fluffernutter (New England) 40 32.79%
Italian Beef (Chicago) 31 25.41%
Deep Dish Pizza (Chicago) 86 70.49%
Cincinatti chilli 27 22.13%
St. Paul Sandwich (St. Louis) 5 4.10%
Walleye (Minnesota) 31 25.41%
Cheese Curds (Wisconsin) 44 36.07%
New York - style pizza (NYC) 90 73.77%
Pastrami on rye (NYC) 69 56.56%
Philly cheesesteak (Philadelphia) 80 65.57%
Scrapple (Pennsylvania) 26 21.31%
Burrito (Southwestern) 98 80.33%
Salt water taffy (New Jersey) 83 68.03%
Chile relleno (Southwestern) 66 54.10%
Grits (Southern) 84 68.85%
Gumbo (Louisiana) 74 60.66%
Collard greens (Southern) 61 50.00%
Jambalaya (Lousiana?) 79 64.75%
Hush Puppies (Southern) 84 68.85%
Chit'lins (Southern) 18 14.75%
Black eye peas (Southern) 73 59.84%
Boudin (Louisiana) 25 20.49%
Muffuletta (Louisiana) 36 29.51%
Country Fried Steak (Southern) 90 73.77%
Succotash (Southern) 51 41.80%
Chili (Southwestern) 104 85.25%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 122. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2016, 03:18 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,535,738 times

Advertisements

Just to start with I am not sure if this has been done or not; my apologies if it has.

What are your favorite regional foods?

Further; what regional foods do you wish to try?

Tell us about them, how you like to eat them, and where they're from.

My favorites are Boudin, Scrapple and Spiedies.

I love my spiedies as chicken grilled on a skewer with onions and green/red peppers, then slapped on a hoagie roll with maybe a little extra sauce. ;D

Spiedies are from the southern tier of upstate NY. I believe they originated in Binghamton. You can find them further east and west these days in different varieties. But the one thing that stays the same? The sauce. The sauce is what makes the spiedie.

On a side note; I like to put spiedie sauce in dry left over pasta.

Scrapple with Applebutter and eggs is heaven on a plate for me. I like it cut a little thick so it stays soft in the middle.

Scrapple hails from Pennsylvania. But it can be found anywhere the Amish/Mennonites live in good number. Ohio, NY, and Virginia to name a few. It's also common in parts of New Jersey.

Boudin. How do I like my Boudin? YES.

Boudin is a Cajun staple and boy oh boy there is nothing like it. Can't even describe it really, but it's similar to a sausage in presentation. But you can get it in ball form and crumbled.

Boudin links, and fried gator were a favorite of mine when I lived on the bayou.

A regional favorite I want to try are pepperoni rolls. Common from what I hear in West Virginia, southeast Ohio and southwest PA. It's on my to-do list for sure!

What are yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2016, 04:11 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,947,713 times
Memphis BBQ It's not "pulled pork". I don't know who invented that term. Memphis BBQ is pork shoulder smoked low & slow over hickory, then chopped and served on a hamburger bun with slaw & sauce.

El Paso/New Mexico green chile Put on practically everything. Enchiladas, stews, green chile rellenos, cheeseburgers, etc.

Texas BBQ Slow smoked brisket sliced or chopped, German/Czech style smoked sausages

Texas Kolaches Sweet or savory

Crawfish & boudin Commonly seen in both Louisiana & Southeast Texas

Mississippi Catfish Breaded with cornmeal & fried--served with hushpuppies

I'm a big fan of regional foods. I always try to get local specialties when I travel.

Old 06-11-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I'm a big fan of regional foods. I always try to get local specialties when I travel.
Same! I'd love to travel more if I could.

There are some Canadian dishes I am curious about as well. Poutine and Donairs in particular.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:06 PM

8,035 posts, read 10,624,855 times
Livermush. Sounds awful, yes, I know. But gooooood.........

Old 06-11-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogueMom View Post
Livermush. Sounds awful, yes, I know. But gooooood.........
Tell us about it. It might be similar to Scrapple.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:38 PM

50,330 posts, read 63,895,871 times
New England: Lobster, clams and other fresh seafood. Nowhere else is the seafood as good. I live on the Georgia coast, and I've been to Florida, but the fresh from the sea catch is not as abundant or as good as Maine to Massachusetts.

Wisconsin: had the best fish fries ever. Perch, mostly. It also had great mom and pop steak houses. I had a deep fried roll there that would make you cry.

Shrimp and grits is good here in GA. Shrimp is all they've got, really.

I had the best Martini ever in Manhattan. Frozen glass, icy cold, olives....

I had the best Greek and Italian at little ethnic restaurants in Mass when I was a kid. Not sure if it is still the same. Also, the best Swedish bakery was Crown, in Worcester, MA. Last I knew, they are still there.

I had super good Chinese in China Town, San Francisco, and the crab on the pier was good, too.

Old 06-11-2016, 05:46 PM

19,968 posts, read 30,197,397 times
Lobsters, I love them steamed, boiled, smoked, baked, stuffed with butter

steamer clams... love them fried and/or steamed with butter

venison white-tail deer - usually hunt every fall for venison- deer and/or moose cut it up myself

low bush blueberries- maine harvests over 90% of all low bush blueberries in the u.s.

eat them by themselves - with ice cream in cakes and pies

I like to fish and eat what I can... breaded and fried

Old 06-13-2016, 08:23 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,040,954 times
Here on Long Island I would say we are known for two things when they're in season. Local corn in late summer/early fall, roasted over open flame and heavily buttered if possible or raw if not, and hard shell clams in all but the hottest months of the year. At least those are the things I look forward to eating around here in season.

Old 06-13-2016, 11:31 AM

26,656 posts, read 28,650,295 times
My area is probably best known for seafood (which I hate.) They can keep their lobsters, crabs, and clam chowder. I am not a good New Englander.

Some of the best things about this area are wild lowbush BLUEBERRIES, fresh fish and chips, blueberry muffins, corn on the cob in late summer, and pizza. I don't like pizza. I could live on fish and chips with blueberries on the side.

Old 06-17-2016, 04:52 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,565,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos View Post
oklahoma (forgot to say where )
It would probably have been a neat twist to this thread.... name three dishes that are associated with your location, others guess location, winner takes over and names three from their place. Repeat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink