U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 11:44 AM

1,642 posts, read 3,708,878 times

Advertisements

Years ago, I worked at a nice mod-priced restaurant, and had many memorable customers. My fav was a somewhat shabbily dressed young middle aged woman who would come in for lunch or early dinner. She always brought a large tote bag full of books, magazines and papers she would pour over at the table. She also brought two wire baskets, the "in/out" kind you would have on a desk. They were not for the papers however, she wuld put them upside down under the table and put her feet on them! And she drove a moped.

She would have salads or light lunches, but she liked to order the ingredients and assemble the meals herself. She would also have a number of glasses of wine over the course of her stay, studying the wine list and choosing different ones each time. She was demanding and expected top service.

Everyone would groan when they saw her coming, but I would always offer or trade to take her even if I was not "up" because I knew her "secret". She was a huge tipper, usually equal or greater than the bill itself! Plus I liked her, she was a nut
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2010, 12:53 PM

3,566 posts, read 4,781,868 times
Oh jeeze, years ago I had this guy come in and tell me that I was not of this earth. I was from the Star People. I was just like him....and my memory of it had been stripped away and I would soon learn the truth. He would help me find it. Just smile and nod, smile and nod.

Old 01-11-2010, 01:11 PM

6,778 posts, read 12,332,471 times
I had some couple that were swingers (they were very open about it after sitting in my section for about 5 straight visits) and wanted me to come to their house for the evening. LMAO! I was 19 and they were prob in their 40s.

I declined and they never came to the restaurant again.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:39 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,686,601 times
Hmm...drunk guy falling on me...that was wierd.

Old guy telling me to work at his strip club - gross

Drunk vet telling me he is not drinking in the coffeeshop or smoking, yet is holding a ciggarette while talking to me in booze breath.

Me & a girl had a homeless person pull a knife on us when they were told to leave....

You know..I don't think its ever been normal in that area of work.

I worked at a coffeeshop here and yelled at Tom Ridge for being condesending when he ordered. He drinks a venti black with no room for milk. I made his face turn red. Hee hee. He was sweet after that though and a good tipper.

Old 01-11-2010, 03:51 PM

15,714 posts, read 23,393,899 times
Worst was a family that would come in once a week and sit in my section (all adults). I set the dinner in front of the grandfather and once I had served everyone I asked if there was anything they needed. The grandfather says "Why don't you sit on my lap and move around a little bit and see how you like it?". I walked away.

The worst part is I told my boss and she says "That is part of being a waitress, you have to deal with customers like that." WTF? I refused to ever wait on them again. And they only would tip $5.00 on their bill which was normally around $100 +

Old 01-11-2010, 04:25 PM

8,415 posts, read 36,686,601 times
That is not true anyway. Anyone that tells you that is just looking out for thier own pocket or job. You flip people like that off.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:31 PM

28,227 posts, read 20,189,716 times
A fraction of an inch separated my face from a professional boxer's fist wen I went to break up a fight.

Working another time in a retirement community that had a bar and having 2 elderly women get in a fist fight over some old toothless man. I didn't break that up.

Old 01-12-2010, 12:58 PM

1,049 posts, read 4,157,495 times
I used to work at a country club that was basically run by the mob. We had some really fun stories from there!

Old 01-12-2010, 01:22 PM

279 posts, read 578,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
I used to work at a country club that was basically run by the mob. We had some really fun stories from there!
Do tell.....

Old 01-12-2010, 06:15 PM

1,848 posts, read 4,320,677 times
Wow...well I actually have some crazy stories although most of our regulars were super sweet...but once I had two older couples come in, late around 10pm maybe.

They all sat down and the ladies immediately stood up to go to the ladies room.

I approached the gentlemen, introduced myself, asked how they were blah, blah and asked for a drink order -recommending a few options...- Anyway, they asked for a round of beers for the table and I said I would be happy to get them but do need to check id's as we are a window lined restaurant and our lot is a favorite hang out of TABC - no joke.

Well, ha...he replied "F*** you, get us a tea."

I could tell at this point that he was talking like he had marbles in his mouth and was either already drunk or had a thick southern accent.

I said "excuse me?"...and he repeated himself - turns out I heard him right the first time.

I told the manager, who promtly paid them a visit and in the end refused to serve them. The guests told our manager that they would drive down the highway to our nearest other establishment instead...Our manager ended up in a "raised voice argument" telling the couples that he would just call our other restaurant and they would not get served there either so don't try.

Ugh. Most people are not so nuts...but every once in a while...

Last edited by cr1039; 01-12-2010 at 06:15 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink