Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 05:15 PM

3,791 posts, read 8,897,945 times

Advertisements

I am currently stocking up on Pepsi Throwbacks along with the Heritage Dr Pepper and Mountain Dew. They are made with real sugar and taste on hell of alot better if you ask me. I think we need to start a petition to keep real sugar in these drinks. The price of corn and sugar are now about equal thanks to ethanol. They need to do this full time!!! Who's with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 07:22 PM

416 posts, read 630,412 times
I've heard about them months ago and looked for some but couldn't find any. If they're out now I'll definitely try some next time I go shopping. Can't really say I'll stock up though, I don't get drinks with loads of sugar normally, I mostly drink water. But it would be good to go back to real sugar as sweetener.

Old 01-17-2010, 07:35 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
I'm with you! Just heard that they're back out and will be stocking up like crazy for my husband. But, yes, they really do need to have these available full time.

If not a petition, perhaps if we all wrote to them and got everyone we know to write to them, they'd listen?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:51 PM

252 posts, read 660,768 times
A petition doesn't hurt, but buying the product and writing/calling in to tell your approval would help Pepsi to realize that it has a serious customer demand for the sugar versions.

I don't tend to like how sweet soda is. I don't like the corn syrup versions of pepsi/dr pepper/mt dew. I'm not big on the sugar versions of mt dew or dr pepper. however, I have a serious affection for the throwback pepsi. I can see how Pepsi became a competitor to Coke if that's how it originally tasted. Stuff is goooooooooood.

Old 01-18-2010, 06:16 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
I would not sign such a silly petition (my opinion! not trying to be conflictive!). All my soda and everything else containing HFCS tastes phenomenal just the way it is today. I would, however, sign a petition approving HFCS.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:08 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,390,208 times
And that would not be silly?

There's a definite flavor difference, and for most of us who grew up experiencing The Real Thing, as Coca Cola likes to put it, soft drinks made with sugar are preferable. Not because of any fears of HFCS, but because they just flat taste better!

During the Great Marketing Debacle that was "New Coke", I didn't need a blind taste test to tell me that, when they said they went back to the original recipe, they didn't - my taste buds told me. (Of course, my first word was "Coke", so that might not be entirely fair, but quite a few other people came to the same conclusion.)

So, if you're used to HFCS and prefer it, fine. Just don't think it's silly that our taste buds tell us different.

Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,120,199 times
I think having a petition against OR for HFCS in a soda is silly.
I don't "prefer" HFCS or sugar....I don't care about it at all. It's just not important to me at all.
My CocaCola tastes just as great to me as it did back in the early 60's. Great stuff!

Old 01-18-2010, 10:29 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,807 times
I agree that the sugar versions taste much better. To me and my husband, they taste lighter than the HFCS versions (and since my DH is allergic to corn products, they are also sneeze-free). I've considered writing to the soft drink companies, asking them to market sugar soda in the US year-round.

I've seen the sugar versions at Costco (Pepsi only, as far as I saw), and Walmart (Pepsi and Mountain Dew). To date, I have not seen the Heritage Dr. Pepper.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:24 AM

1,333 posts, read 3,224,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post

To date, I have not seen the Heritage Dr. Pepper.
Same here. I've seen the Mtn. Dew and Pepsi everywhere, but no Dr. Pepper.

Old 01-18-2010, 11:37 AM

2,029 posts, read 4,037,363 times
I had my first throwback Pepsi last night. Wow. I forgot how good they used to be! I had a flashback while drinking it...the old six packs with the tall, glass bottles that you could return for a deposit.

Guess I'm going to have to go out and stock up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink