Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:00 PM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times

Advertisements

I don't find flour tortillas all that appealing. Maybe it stems from watching my toddlers gum them to death and finding the cold, icky remnants on the floor under their high chairs. Yuck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 06:36 PM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Default Beef Tounge...3 Tex-Mex dishes

Beef Tounge...Lengua

is a very lean tender meat that lends well to 3 typical Southcentral 'Texas tacos fillings.

First we cook the Tounge. The best way is in a slow cooker/ crock pot...must be large to hole the tounge its ok to cut the tounge in half or thirds. place in crock with about 1 cup water. season with salt, black pepper, crushed garlic cloves (added to water), 1 tblspn cumin powder, sliced onion. cook over night 6-8 hrs till a large fork pierces the meat. you may have to flip meat in crock once or twice durring cooking. save some of the liquid for other dishes.

let cool till able to handle, peel or trim outer skin away from meat.

you can take and slice a couple of hamburger size pieces...then dice those. season with salt and pepper. dice some onion, cilantro and serrano pepper. fill a warm tortilla(your choice) with lengua, top with diced veggies and enjoy.

Lengua Guisada ...tounge in brown gravy
make the gravy. In a saute pan add 2 tbspn oil, add 2 tbspn flour...make a roux. cook flour till it turns lt. brown...dont burn. Add Salt, pepper, garlic, cumin powder... and 1/2 cup reserved liquid. add 1 lb. diced lengua. simmer for about 10 min till the gravy thickens and reduces.

Lengua con Etomate...Tounge with tomato
In a saute pan add 2 tbsp oil, add
1/4 cup sliced onion,
1/4 small bell pepper sliced
1 garlic clove smashed
salt
pepper
saute till onion becomes translucent add
2 diced tomato
saute till tomato heats through...sprinkle on about 1 tspn flour
add 1/2 cup reserved liquid...mix wll
add 1 lb. diced lengua
simmer till veggies soften and liquid thickens

Last edited by 1751texan; 01-20-2010 at 06:46 PM..

Old 01-20-2010, 11:01 PM

Location: TX Hill Country-Helotes, Pipe Creek/Lake Hills & San Antonio, TX
844 posts, read 1,626,310 times
A favorite thing to do is turn on the slow cooker/crock pot, cook a shoulder roast, and in another slow cooker lengua (cows tongue). Combine the two and make delicious corn tortilla barbacoa tacos.

Old 01-21-2010, 05:31 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
I don't find flour tortillas all that appealing. Maybe it stems from watching my toddlers gum them to death and finding the cold, icky remnants on the floor under their high chairs. Yuck!
just think of a childs memories if mommy made fresh flour tortillas from scratch and as they are comming of the grill, she took a warm one, spread it with real butter, rolled it and give it to her tike hanging on to her apron...

My mommy loved me.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:20 AM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
just think of a childs memories if mommy made fresh flour tortillas from scratch and as they are comming of the grill, she took a warm one, spread it with real butter, rolled it and give it to her tike hanging on to her apron...

My mommy loved me.

I have that same memory, only it was my dad who made the tortillas!

Old 01-21-2010, 07:29 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,052,379 times
That's wonderful for you! Being decidedly anglo, my thing to make for my kids was home-made wheat bread, but whatever. Thanks for sharing.

Old 01-22-2010, 07:38 AM

7,335 posts, read 2,742,485 times
My mom made the bread till she taught me to do it! (And we are definitely Anglo!)

Old 01-22-2010, 08:32 AM

1,642 posts, read 4,093,559 times
Don't know if anyone mentioned tripas, also very good.

On fish tacos; I seldom order them but sometimes make them at home, grilling fish with fajita spices. I like a firm large breed fish, like shark or swordfish best. Serve like fajitas.

Also, fried fish with lettuce and tartar sauce are good in a tort, but I guess that's more of a "wrap".

Old 01-22-2010, 01:56 PM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
The best fish tacos come with the pickled cabbage/slaw. I have used fried fish but in most places it's baked, sauteed, or grilled fish.

Old 01-22-2010, 02:17 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times
We will make one taco from two warmed soft corn tortillas and fix them up just like a fish taco but we batter fry thawed pre-cooked frozen snow crab legs in stead of fish. Way better than lobster tacos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink