Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2016, 06:13 PM

12,722 posts, read 7,575,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post
With the Gulf Oil Spill, I question if it is safe to eat shrimp from there either? The ‘Horribly Mutated’ Seafood in The Gulf of Mexico | World Truth.TV
Come on man, that website also has articles about mind control by mass media, satanic symbols in Washington DC, anti-vax rubbish, etc. clearly a conspiracy theory nutjob site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2016, 11:30 PM

2,919 posts, read 5,952,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gouligann View Post

I love shrimp and eat it probably 8-10 times/year, but wonder what toxins and crap I'm ingesting? If/when I die, I doubt very much it would be because I ate shrimp/scallops.
I've been eating shrimp probably 50 times a year for 50 years, and I'm still kickin'.

I've always eaten shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico, with a few occasional outliers like spot prawns now and then. Like gouligann said--I would bet something else will kill me first.

Old 12-16-2016, 12:52 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baker Freesia View Post
Yip, shrimps are safe, I've ate them in restaurants & fixed them at home, I'm still here, haven't keeled over yet from eating them. coconut shrimp dipped in coconut sauce sounds so mouth watery good right now.
lol...good attitude!!

and I agree....

many have their own gardens in maine,,, and in the spring...you drive the roads you smell the all too familiar smell of manure.... used as fertilizer for the vegetables

and as the vegetables grow it rains and splashes fecal matter all over the vegetables...

and on some of the farms.....they will have a farmstand.... to sell "fresh. local veggies"
and do they put a sign up saying "grown in cow/horse poop"??? no I think not

and the proteins I buy,,,,even raw shrimp from who knows where,,,,like other proteins I cook and kill any bacteria on them..

there are more cases from food poisonings from veggies a year than their are from meats/seafoods

I'm in the food business..... and I sell everything from organics to shrimp..

I have sold hundreds of thousands pounds of shrimp and have yet to hear one person get sick..

Old 12-16-2016, 05:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
I enjoy shrimp and usually get it at Chinese takeout or buy frozen to cook with from Walmart or local super market. I've heard of people getting sick on shrimp and have friend who would never order shrimp anything from Chinese takeout. So far I never had a reaction to eating shrimp but was wondering if I should play safe and avoid it. BTW, I love shrimp fried rice and Mei Fun. I also cook with frozen shrimp not knowing where it comes from or how it was treated. Your thoughts?
Frozen or not, you can always find out where it came from. I try to avoid fish from China. But to answer your question, yes, it is probably safe to eat. I am not a fan of frozen shrimp, it doesn't have the flavor fresh shrimp has. By frozen, I assume you mean pre packaged in the freezer compartment? I do buy frozen from Sams or our local grocery store if it was recently frozen from America, or Mexico.

Old 12-16-2016, 05:18 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Dang, I sure hope so, because I've been eating it for over half a century!
know what you mean. Too many it seems, worry to much about what we eat; maybe I am the one that should take things more seriously, but so far, I am doing fine.

Old 12-16-2016, 10:34 AM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
I have sold hundreds of thousands pounds of shrimp and have yet to hear one person get sick..
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I've been eating shrimp probably 50 times a year for 50 years, and I'm still kickin'.
I have a short story about shrimp. Growing up we didn't have shrimp except that occasional
shrimp cocktail in a jar (probably 2 times a year). It was during the 70's when I discovered
fresh shrimp and I like it boiled or steamed with a drizzle of butter.
About a year and a half ago I bought some frozen shrimp at a grocery store. After I cooked
it, not only did it smell fishy but and more importantly it had a chemical taste. It was awful.
So I thought I'd give my cat one little piece and he wouldn't eat it. I also got a bad
headache from eating 2-3 pieces.

Could your seafood contain toxic chemicals? - today > health - TODAY.com

Old 12-16-2016, 11:50 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Why would shrimp be unsafe???? That's nutty.

Old 12-16-2016, 03:28 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Why would shrimp be unsafe???? That's nutty.
nuttiness and food-shaming and scaring is quite popular today

food is one of my rewards in life I don't smoke, I don't drink much, I don't gamble or hire prostitutes....so I will eat what I like..

my latest health food debate took place outside of a store ..... the "healthy person" was telling me what not to eat while she was smoking a cigarette

Old 12-17-2016, 09:04 AM

23,535 posts, read 24,029,400 times
Probably safe. I'm not a big shellfish fan, but will consume it if served.

Old 12-17-2016, 11:18 AM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
To the person who PM'd me about Fukushima, please make your ignorant remarks in a post where we can all see who you are. Don't PM me again. Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink