Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 03:25 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moeowo View Post
You're welcome! Sucklebusters also has a great seasoning called Hoochie Mama's crazy name but makes a great brisket!
I'll have to try some of that. I love Bolner's and done business with them for many, many years. Their Fiesta spices are awfully good. I swear if Rudy's , Billy's and Grady's used their brisket rub they'd be selling a much better product. Rub it, wrap in foil, throw it in the oven or pit. Could not get any better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2010, 04:05 AM

3,854 posts, read 4,835,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Thanks a lot for the link. From Los Barrios it ought to be good. Looks simple with familiar ingredients with the glaring absence of tomato sauce/paste.
I'm anxious to try it next time we make enchiladas! "Texas Gun Powder" think i know someone who'd be interested in that! Thanks again!
The los Barios recipe is exacly like grandmas...and most texmex restaurants make...no tomato.

Old 01-30-2010, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1751texan View Post
The los Barios recipe is exacly like grandmas...and most texmex restaurants make...no tomato.
Great, sounds like what i've been looking for.. Thanks! We have corn tortillas I may be testing it today.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times
Hey satx while watching Gaithers tonight they had been to your fair city. They said the best mexican joint was Casa Rio on the Riverwalk, true or not? They showed video of while they were all there eating thought of you and this thread.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 PM

469 posts, read 1,155,762 times
Casa Rio's ok but I think Mi Tierra is better!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Hey satx while watching Gaithers tonight they had been to your fair city. They said the best mexican joint was Casa Rio on the Riverwalk, true or not? They showed video of while they were all there eating thought of you and this thread.
Wow Jaxson it would be hard to say ...so many to choose from here. I doubt it is the best, being a tourist spot on the Riverwalk. Place called Rosario's just 2 or or 3 blocks south of the Riverwalk area ain't bad. We've gone there quite a bit. Many great Mexican Food restaurants around town. I've not eaten at Casa Rio I don't think. Sweetie Pie may have. Los Barrios on the north side is where Bobby Flay did a "throwdown" on puffy tacos. Don Pedros not far from me or Nicha's are very good.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:49 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,138,809 times
Quote:
Wow Jaxson it would be hard to say ...so many to choose from here. I doubt it is the best, being a tourist spot on the Riverwalk. Place called Rosario's just 2 or or 3 blocks south of the Riverwalk area ain't bad. We've gone there quite a bit. Many great Mexican Food restaurants around town. I've not eaten at Casa Rio I don't think. Sweetie Pie may have. Los Barrios on the north side is where Bobby Flay did a "throwdown" on puffy tacos. Don Pedros not far from me or Nicha's are very good.
Jax, I've eaten at Casa Rio on the River since I was a kid. Just recently, when relatives came down for Thanksgiving a few months ago. Awesome food, great place to people watch, and right across the street you can buy tickets for a river ride. Around the bend of the river, is a Mexican food restaurant called "The Original". It's good too!!!

Let me know if you come down....................as I am a natural tour guide!!! I love this town!!!

Old 01-30-2010, 11:54 PM

Thanks satx we went to our local joint Friday night I asked them why I can't get pork tamales they said most around here want beef or chicken. They did offer a bean one but I said no thanks. I've tried their beef ones but the masa was super dry no flavor really.

Sweetie I would love to come down don't know when though. Debsi would take me to some awesome joints in CA too if I went there with her I am sure. Gloria Gaither said she loves the shopping on the Riverwalk too.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Thanks satx we went to our local joint Friday night I asked them why I can't get pork tamales they said most around here want beef or chicken. They did offer a bean one but I said no thanks. I've tried their beef ones but the masa was super dry no flavor really.

Sweetie I would love to come down don't know when though. Debsi would take me to some awesome joints in CA too if I went there with her I am sure. Gloria Gaither said she loves the shopping on the Riverwalk too.
You know the funny thing most people may not know is where to get tamales. Not all Mexican Restaurants have them. When they do they may buy them from local tamale factories. Most people buy them to take home from different tamale factories around town. It's a labor intensive sort of product!!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 AM

Quote:
You know the funny thing most people may not know is where to get tamales. Not all Mexican Restaurants have them. When they do they may buy them from local tamale factories. Most people buy them to take home from different tamale factories around town. It's a labor intensive sort of product!!
Oh I know that from helping make them 2 times. I would never attempt to make them by myself no way no matter how much I love them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink