Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 08:31 AM

52,685 posts, read 47,940,162 times

Advertisements

Believe it or not, I've only had cabrito (baby goat) once. It was at Cooper's BBQ in Llano, TX about five or six years ago. It's got kind of a salty taste from what I recall, but it wasn't bad. Actually complemented the beef brisket and pork ribs very nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:45 AM

50,350 posts, read 63,928,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vichel View Post
LOL! I've always thought that about goats. Sheep are cute, so are cows, pigs are adorable, chickens are great, but whenever a goat looks at me, I get creeped out. They look psycho. Plus there's all that head-butting nonsense that they do. Or chewing on your clothes. All other farm animals are so much more well-behaved. Goats are the juvenile delinquents of farms, imo. Geese are almost as bad. Aggressive as anything. Whenever I'd visit my grandparents' farms, I'd avoid the goats and geese like the plague (after unfortunate encounters with both of those crazy things).

I love goat cheese, especially that French Chevre stuff, so creamy and smooth. I can eat the whole thing if I don't control myself.
To me, I think it's the weird eyes goats have, and goat sacrifices in scary movies.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:49 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
Believe it or not, I've only had cabrito (baby goat) once. It was at Cooper's BBQ in Llano, TX about five or six years ago. It's got kind of a salty taste from what I recall, but it wasn't bad. Actually complemented the beef brisket and pork ribs very nicely.

Coopers does goat pretty well with one warning. If it is early in the day, the goat is good. However, goat meat does not HOLD as well as brisket and the other meat.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,827,890 times
We barbeque goat all thwe time in teas but otherwsie i don't care for it. You do not ever want to field dress a goat if you don't have to tho.That looks like a wild dog to me.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,374,594 times
I have never eaten goat but I threaten my goat with going on the barbie at least a couple of times a month. He is a pest, but somehow lovable at the same time.

I can't seem to get his picture from my album to this thread but you can check him out on my home and dogs album if you're curious.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:35 AM

3,948 posts, read 4,304,773 times
Yea, I had some goat tacos the other day. In the past, I attended a celebration of African cultures and ate some dishes that were goat-based, it was all good.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:58 AM

6,489 posts, read 8,810,279 times
Nope, but my nephew had it several times while stationed in Afghanistan. When he got home he said he was happy that he would never have to eat goat again.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:12 PM

2,450 posts, read 5,600,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
On Oprah the other day, they said that more goat was consumed worldwide than any other meat. I find this hard to believe, but it got me to thinking, why don't we eat goat in the US? It's no stranger than eating horse, lamb, frog legs, etc.
I've never in my life ever seen goat for sale in this country, or on any menu.
There are people that think eating horse is more normal than goat?
Goat is good. I like it better than lamb, which tastes a little bit like sucking on metal to me.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:20 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeard View Post
There are people that think eating horse is more normal than goat?
Goat is good. I like it better than lamb, which tastes a little bit like sucking on metal to me.
Horse meat is quite normal in many countries including European countries like Italy, France, Belgium, Germany etc...

Old 02-01-2010, 04:34 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,342,342 times
I've eaten goat. I never thought it was anything exotic.

Huh. Never thought about it like that. I guess most grocery stores don't just have goat lying around or goat sales or filet of goat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink