Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2008, 10:47 AM

3,032 posts, read 8,919,868 times

Advertisements

I would like to find a really good, spicy green tomato relish recipe. All the ones I have found online so far have TONS of sugar in them and frankly I don't like sweet relishes or pickles. Anyone out there have a fiery green tomato relish or chutney recipe?

Also, I'd really like a good spicy-hot refrigerator kimchi recipe too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2008, 05:15 PM

230 posts, read 875,425 times
I would try www.foodnetwork.com. I have made the quick kimchee salad recipe that I found there. It's not fermented, but it's still pretty good. Hope you find a good green tomato relish recipe too!

Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM

5,120 posts, read 16,595,896 times
Default Kimchi

I got these off the internet years ago. I haven't tried to make them. I just buy my kimchi at the grocery store.

Kimchi

Servings: 2 quarts

Ingredients:
1 large Chinese cabbage (2 1/2 to 3 pounds), cut into 2-inch wide slices
1/2 cup salt
6 green onions, green and white parts, finely chopped
3 large cloves garlic, minced
2 tablespoons Korean red pepper powder or 1 tablespoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon grated fresh gingerroot
1 tablespoon sugar
3/4 cup hot water

Instructions:
Wash the chopped cabbage. Drain and sprinkle with salt, and let stand in a colander for 2 hours. Rinse in cold water and squeeze out excess liquid. Place the cabbage in a large bowl. Add the onions, garlic, Korean red pepper powder, ginger, and sugar to the cabbage. Toss and mix all the ingredients so that the cabbage pieces are well-coated. Pack the cabbage mixture in a crock or a large glass jar. Pour the hot water into the large bowl that held the cabbage mixture, and swish around to gather up any remaining seasonings. Pour into the jar of packed cabbage. Cover the jar with a tight lid, and place in a cool room for 2 days before refrigerating. (This will allow the fermentation process to commence and intensify the flavor.) Refrigerate at least 24 hours before serving.

Kimchi

Ingredients:
1 head Napa or Chinese cabbage, regular Cabbage can be used,
cut into strips about 1 cm
3 tbs. salt
3 to 6 green or spring onions, chopped
1 to 3 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. crushed dried hot red chili
1 tsp. chopped ginger root

Instructions:
Soak cabbage in salt water overnight. In a cool location, remove cabbage from water. Mix cabbage, onions, salt, garlic, chili and ginger root in a jar or other container with a tight fitting lid. Refrigerate for a couple of days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink