Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,032,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
I ended up buying Cabot Extra Sharp Cheddar and it was as good as Coon but boy it was a nerve wracking experience taking the first bite!
I'll keep an eye out for Tillamook next time!

I did see Cracker Barrel in the cheese section. It was the ONLY brand I recognized but I was wary about the flavour being the same.
I won't eat orange cheese either. I don't know why, but it just irks me.

But Cabot makes Extra Sharp Cheddar in white. I'm eating it now, actually.

As for Cracker Barrel, I wouldn't bother -- it doesn't hold a candle to Cabot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 07:47 AM

9,912 posts, read 13,902,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
I won't eat orange cheese either. I don't know why, but it just irks me.

But Cabot makes Extra Sharp Cheddar in white. I'm eating it now, actually.

As for Cracker Barrel, I wouldn't bother -- it doesn't hold a candle to Cabot.
Well the orange cheese just makes me nervous. I'm very suspicious of the colour and that makes me suspicious of the flavour so I just avoid it.

The cabot Extra Sharp Chedder is awesome but I did toss up between the Extra Sharp and the Seriously Sharp which is now on my list of things to try next time. Oh and I'm jealous btw!

I'm really not a fan of Cracker Barrel here but I'll admit I almost bought it simply because it was familiar but in the end I resisted.

I think that was one of the hardest things whilst I was in the US. I recognized next to NOTHING in the supermarket and a trip to buy groceries took on epic proportions as I had to read labels and even then I was confused.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshadow View Post
Well the orange cheese just makes me nervous. I'm very suspicious of the colour and that makes me suspicious of the flavour so I just avoid it.

The cabot Extra Sharp Chedder is awesome but I did toss up between the Extra Sharp and the Seriously Sharp which is now on my list of things to try next time. Oh and I'm jealous btw!

I'm really not a fan of Cracker Barrel here but I'll admit I almost bought it simply because it was familiar but in the end I resisted.

I think that was one of the hardest things whilst I was in the US. I recognized next to NOTHING in the supermarket and a trip to buy groceries took on epic proportions as I had to read labels and even then I was confused.
Honestly, I don't even tell the difference between the Extra Sharp and the Seriously Sharp -- but they're both really good!

I'm from Canada -- lived my first 40 years there -- but moved to the US in 2005. I've since dropped the "u" in "flavor", "color", "favorite", "behavior", etc... AND I've even gotten used to the supermarket varieties (although, I will say, that they're not that radically different from what we had in Canada, so that was less of a learning curve).

Should they ever dye (it has to be dye, right?) the cheese a color (colour) other than orange, like let's say purple, I'll boycott all American foods completely. For now, though, I just ignore my American husband's comments about "being silly about the cheese being orange", close my eyes so that I don't even have to look at it, and reach for the white.

Do they seriously not have the white where you are? How is that even possible? Go to Costco -- they must have it there. Or another grocery store. That's nutty that you can't find white Cabot.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Honestly, I don't even tell the difference between the Extra Sharp and the Seriously Sharp -- but they're both really good!

I'm from Canada -- lived my first 40 years there -- but moved to the US in 2005. I've since dropped the "u" in "flavor", "color", "favorite", "behavior", etc... AND I've even gotten used to the supermarket varieties (although, I will say, that they're not that radically different from what we had in Canada, so that was less of a learning curve).

Should they ever dye (it has to be dye, right?) the cheese a color (colour) other than orange, like let's say purple, I'll boycott all American foods completely. For now, though, I just ignore my American husband's comments about "being silly about the cheese being orange", close my eyes so that I don't even have to look at it, and reach for the white.

Do they seriously not have the white where you are? How is that even possible? Go to Costco -- they must have it there. Or another grocery store. That's nutty that you can't find white Cabot.

Oh so you've played the whole new ball game in the supermarket too then?
I'm not sure I'll be dropping my u's but stranger things have happened. I do find it difficult to stick to English spelling with most spell check's being Americanized (see? They've already got me on the Z instead of S! )

We don't actually have Costco here in Australia where I am. WELL we do have our first Costco store Australia right here in Melbourne where I am but it's right in the city and it doesn't make sense to pay the membership and then drive 30 minutes to do the grocery shop when the biggest mall in the Southern Hemisphere is right around the corner from me.

AND as far as I'm aware we don't have Cabot cheese here either.
We have Coon and Cracker Barrel and Mainland and a whole bunch of boutique cheese from local cheeseries. There are probably other brands that I'm forgetting but I've never seen Cabot before I got to Massachusetts.
ANYWAY I love it! So that's a good thing! AND I love the plethora of diet soda flavours you have to choose from! Not so enamoured with the chocolate bars and I couldn't find a "biscuit" or bikkie to save my life. It was all about the "cookies".

Oh and now that I think of it, my SIL-to-be is still completely confused by my feeble attempts to describe bean shoots and I never saw them whilst I was there. Which is a shame because I love them and cook with them often here.

I think you got dye right btw.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:16 AM

2,857 posts, read 6,725,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Then again, I've never understood why in the USA you can get every imaginable style of baked bean EXCEPT for the Aussie/Brit kind in a tomato sauce (like the sauce Spagettios come in)
I would imagine it's because people prefer all the other varieties, and the Aussie/Brit kind don't move off the shelf. If the sauce tastes like spaghetti-Os, I can understand why.

Old 02-10-2010, 08:43 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,505,594 times
"American Cheese" doesn't count as real food in my book. It's not cheese to me, at any rate. I prefer my sandwich without a piece of plastic on top.

I love my orange cheddar but I will respect your differing opinions.

It's a natural dye they use, you know, annatto. It won't hurt you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annatto

Old 02-10-2010, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
I love my orange cheddar but I will respect your differing opinions.

It's a natural dye they use, you know, annatto. It won't hurt you.

Annatto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hee hee.

There's orange cheese in Canada too. It's not the dye, per se, that alarms me -- it's just so darn BRIGHT!

Old 02-10-2010, 09:30 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Then again, I've never understood why in the USA you can get every imaginable style of baked bean EXCEPT for the Aussie/Brit kind in a tomato sauce (like the sauce Spagettios come in)
Is this the kind you're talking about? I've bought them at Harris Teeter food market which operates in the southeast US. The beans were unusually unspicy "Ingredients: Navy Beans, Tomatoes, Water, Sugar, Glucose Syrup, Salt, Modified Corn Starch, Distilled Vinegar, Spices." "H.J. Heinz Co. Ltd. Hayes, Middx. UB4 8AL England"

While looking this information up, I also found this page Beans on Toast devoted to the dish I discovered here in the UK forum and have grown to love

Old 02-10-2010, 09:40 AM

That's them quietwalker!

BEANZ MEANZ HEINZ!

And Beans on toast or even better, baked bean jaffles ROCK!!!

And debsi, I appreciate the effort but I just can't get past the colour!

Old 02-10-2010, 10:34 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,841,462 times
Yep, the brit tin - I can get that here from World Market (they also carry small jars of vegemite). Golden syrup is available here, I think they import it from Canada and Pepperidge Farm just started making TimTams under licence from Arnotts (which is now an american owned company anyway - sigh) but only have like 3 varieties I've seen so far.

Oh and not only is the cheese orange but the butter is white (rather than yellow) - go figure.

When we first got here we stood open mouthed in the supermarket aisles - UNTIL we figured out that HUGE variety really isn't - it's just the SAME stuff over and over in different brands, packet sizes and with/without salt/sugar/blah blah yada yada.

In actual fact their VARIETY is MUCH less than we are used to down under. Very disappointing.

and for those of us raised on choccy bikkies with REAL chocolate - fudge coated cookies just do not cut it = ) Mind you, the yanks do GREAT ice cream.................

Last edited by Opyelie; 02-10-2010 at 10:35 AM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink