Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 10:56 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,587,071 times

Advertisements

Cobra Gold bushtucker trial: US Marines eat frogs, scorpions and lizards in jungle survival training.

A US Marine prepares to put a scorpion in his mouth during jungle survival training as part of the annual combined military exercise Cobra Gold 2010 at a Thai Navy base in Chonburi province.

Cobra Gold bushtucker trial: US Marines eat frogs, scorpions and lizards in jungle survival training - Telegraph

Last edited by JD59; 02-10-2010 at 11:12 PM..

Old 02-10-2010, 10:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
frogs legs are great, like sweet chicken.

Old 02-10-2010, 11:11 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,134,533 times
been there done that~ Navy doesn't limit its JEST training to their marines~ other navy people gotta go through it also!

Old 02-11-2010, 02:47 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
I would rather starve to death than eat that crap.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:41 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
I have eaten a lot of raw meat and don't have a problem with it per se. To be honest though unlike red meat or fish I prefer insects cooked . In a survival situation where fire was not an option , sure. But any other time I would make a fire and roast them first. I have eaten plenty of insects and grubs and the vast majority were actually really surprisingly quite nice.

As for people who say they would rather starve I suggest trying to be without food for a few days. With no shelter , knowing that you are getting weak from hunger and thirst and that catching and eating anything you can is your only link to life.

The survival instinct in use is far stronger than we think from our comfortable living rooms... Trust me. Been there, done that. Almost anything looks edible after a few days. Scrap that, ANYTHING looks edible when hunger comes knocking at your door. Thirst is the worst but then hunger comes. True hunger. It can make you almost insane.

At the end of the day our food phobias and taboos are all in our heads. Ants and Grubs taste delicious. And are highly nutritious ( especially the eggs) , a good source of protein and easy to catch.

I prefer them cooked though. And I have no desire to eat anything alive. Apart from Oysters I never have.

Anyone who thinks they couldn't eat raw foods is seriously deluding themselves. ALL of us would.

Cannibalism proves how potent hunger can become. The ultimate Taboo in our western society and yet the very vast majority of us would give in if it was our only way to survive or to feed loved ones.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:07 AM

10,494 posts, read 27,238,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I have eaten a lot of raw meat and don't have a problem with it per se. To be honest though unlike red meat or fish I prefer insects cooked . In a survival situation where fire was not an option , sure. But any other time I would make a fire and roast them first. I have eaten plenty of insects and grubs and the vast majority were actually really surprisingly quite nice.

As for people who say they would rather starve I suggest trying to be without food for a few days. With no shelter , knowing that you are getting weak from hunger and thirst and that catching and eating anything you can is your only link to life.

The survival instinct in use is far stronger than we think from our comfortable living rooms... Trust me. Been there, done that. Almost anything looks edible after a few days. Scrap that, ANYTHING looks edible when hunger comes knocking at your door. Thirst is the worst but then hunger comes. True hunger. It can make you almost insane.

At the end of the day our food phobias and taboos are all in our heads. Ants and Grubs taste delicious. And are highly nutritious ( especially the eggs) , a good source of protein and easy to catch.

I prefer them cooked though. And I have no desire to eat anything alive. Apart from Oysters I never have.

Anyone who thinks they couldn't eat raw foods is seriously deluding themselves. ALL of us would.

Cannibalism proves how potent hunger can become. The ultimate Taboo in our western society and yet the very vast majority of us would give in if it was our only way to survive or to feed loved ones.
I guess we just think differently then. I would never ever put myself in a situation where I would have to eat insects. However, I can relate to extreme hunger since I am a recovered anorexic. I am a very finicky eater, and no matter how hard I try I can not eat things I do not like. This is in regards to regular food (such as eggs which I absolutely hate), so there is NO chance of me ever eating roaches or scorpions. For example, I would NEVER had made it on Fear Factor. If someone offered me a million dollars to eat a roach I would not do it.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:53 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,692,067 times
I couldn't do it........I'd be gagging as soon as the critters hit my tongue. When I go to the doctor and he or she puts a tongue depresser in my mouth I'm gagging so I know there is NO WAY I would eat those things. Guess I wouldn't be a good soldier.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:00 PM

5,092 posts, read 14,829,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post

If I had my choice between bugs and worms or a nice clean, plump, milk fed baby, it wouldn’t take much “giving in”, especially if I had some Sweet Baby Ray’s BBQ Sauce to go on it.

And a loaf of French bread to sop up the lickins.

Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 PM

5,064 posts, read 15,897,830 times
If it's a matter of survival, yes. Would I like it? No.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:08 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,123,046 times
Eating stupid things like that is STUPID.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink