Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,484,616 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Apples and oranges......
Exactly - we are comparing pork loin to pork belly. they come from opposite ends of the pig!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:50 AM

1,422 posts, read 2,307,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60'sGal View Post
It's got to be what you grow up eating cuz I've been to the UK and the bacon sucks.

We have great bacon here in the U.S.
I guess it's what you're used to - personally I'm not used to having no option at the supermarket but to buy paper thin strips of fat with no actual bacon in it! So, as far as my local stores are concerned, their bacon totally sucks!!!!!

It sounds like some stores (like Fresh 'n' Easy as an earlier poster mentioned) sell back bacon but unfortunately there are none in my area.

Old 03-01-2010, 10:54 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,507,666 times
well....welcome anyway....I've always enjoyed our bacon....

Old 03-01-2010, 11:00 AM

5,289 posts, read 7,508,392 times
I was watching Good Eats on the food network and Alton Brown schooled me on how to buy Bacon. I buy the more expensive stuff now, but I can get nice, thick, delicious bacon at the local Harris Teeters here in NC. I pay about 7.99 for a pack, where as the other stuff is 4.99. It is "apple wood smoked, UNCURED." I enjoy it, I have no idea if it would meet your bacon standards though.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:03 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,211,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
If you have a Fresh & Easy by where you live, check them out. I believe they are actually owned by European grocery giant Tesco.

We get delicious back bacon there regularly. FWIW, back bacon is actually the loin, which is where "Canadian bacon" also comes from. The difference is the Canadian version is essentially trimmed of all the fat and is just the loin.
Fresh & Easy rocks!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:17 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,479,085 times
We get awesome bacon at a store up the road from here that makes its own from animals that are raised in the area. Truly awesome, cured a variety of ways. It's pretty much spoiled me.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:21 AM

6,776 posts, read 13,570,387 times
Are you SURE there is no Canadian bacon at your grocery store? Ask someone who works there. Even the crappiest of crappy grocery stores at least carry pre-packaged Hormel Canadian bacon in my experience.

And yeah, you can't compare them they are totally different. I like both the US and UK versions.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:42 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,547,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
I can't even get "Canadian style" bacon where I live so I guess I'll have to stick with my online supplier.

I'm just amazed that people actually settle for such a crappy non-choice (where I live, at least) - but I suppose that if streaky is the only bacon you've ever known and used and you've never been lucky enough to have back bacon widely available then it's not an issue for most people.

I won't even go there as far as sausages are concerned

No offense, because I completely understand the longing for what you grew up with ( I hate Tex-Mex and love California-Mex food ), but if you're going to throw the word crappy around, I gotta say England is not exactly world-renowned for great cuisine. Also, as others have said, you can't compare the two bacons as they are essentially different products with the same name.

For my taste, fatty american bacon should be cooked to crispiness (not served floppy and greasy) and you haven't lived until you've had a sandwich made of avocado slices, crispy bacon, and baby spinach leaves on a good quality bread. Also excellent of course is the classic B-L-T sandwich.

Canadian bacon is OK but nothing I ever crave. I'd rather make a nice spiral cut glazed ham and have ham sandwiches or fried ham any day of the week.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:06 PM

1,422 posts, read 2,307,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
No offense, because I completely understand the longing for what you grew up with ( I hate Tex-Mex and love California-Mex food ), but if you're going to throw the word crappy around, I gotta say England is not exactly world-renowned for great cuisine. Also, as others have said, you can't compare the two bacons as they are essentially different products with the same name.

For my taste, fatty american bacon should be cooked to crispiness (not served floppy and greasy) and you haven't lived until you've had a sandwich made of avocado slices, crispy bacon, and baby spinach leaves on a good quality bread. Also excellent of course is the classic B-L-T sandwich.

Canadian bacon is OK but nothing I ever crave. I'd rather make a nice spiral cut glazed ham and have ham sandwiches or fried ham any day of the week.
Point taken, I am just frustrated that there is really no choice at all in my local stores other than buying strips of fat with virtually no meat in them - which to me is a total waste of money!!!!!!!!

There is no way to cook streaky bacon except to super-crispness and, whilst streaky bacon does have some uses, I just miss the lean, flavorsome bacon I'm used to having readily available - slices of bacon I can actually grill without 90% of it disappearing!!!!!!

I just assumed that the type of back bacon I prefer would be freely available as it is in the UK - and was surprised at the limited choice available here.

It hadn't even occurred to me that American bacon is actually pork belly rather than loin. So I see the reason for the fat overload - and yes, apples and oranges is correct in terms of any comparison.

I do love a bacon/spinach/avocado sandwich

Old 03-01-2010, 12:13 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,997,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London Girl View Post
I guess it's what you're used to - personally I'm not used to having no option at the supermarket but to buy paper thin strips of fat with no actual bacon in it! So, as far as my local stores are concerned, their bacon totally sucks!!!!!

It sounds like some stores (like Fresh 'n' Easy as an earlier poster mentioned) sell back bacon but unfortunately there are none in my area.

Its pretty easy to cut your own which a freind from britain does. Personally I like US becon better so it sreally that few want it here.Its like missing US foods in britain you have to make your own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink