Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 10:32 PM

18,287 posts, read 23,188,315 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Time of year certainly plays into the problem. We all know Florida's tomato crop has suffered greatly. I'm sure we are getting some Mexican tomatoes in our Markets here. While I'm not seeing the greatest quality or varieties here prices aren't astronomical. The really noticeable difference is in price of canned tomato products. I use a lot of it!
Those canned products that were already canned shouldn't be rising in price right now. Next year yes not now it is like the stupid gas prices going up .10 then coming back down .03.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:40 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
Those canned products that were already canned shouldn't be rising in price right now. Next year yes not now it is like the stupid gas prices going up .10 then coming back down .03.
Yep, I know and hate that crap.. That's why it so maddening the prices will never fall much. I just haven't been shopping in a while Jaxson. Canned tomato products have been up a while now I'm sure. But you're right of course. When I cook i use lots of tomato stuff! A trip to the grocery store these days is a real eye opener!

Old 03-01-2010, 11:08 PM

If ya don't want to garden and can your own satx what about contacting a tomato plant to buy it by the case? www.redgold.com in Indiana sells from their site I am sure you could find a closer producer nearer you. I do know Red Gold has a pretty high standard with their farmers for growing the tomatoes though. I know folks that don't garden that drive to their plant to pick up cases they get a cost break on. Might be something to check out they won't go bad and you use a lot of quanity so no chance in spoiling in your home.

Old 03-01-2010, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxson View Post
If ya don't want to garden and can your own satx what about contacting a tomato plant to buy it by the case? www.redgold.com in Indiana sells from their site I am sure you could find a closer producer nearer you. I do know Red Gold has a pretty high standard with their farmers for growing the tomatoes though. I know folks that don't garden that drive to their plant to pick up cases they get a cost break on. Might be something to check out they won't go bad and you use a lot of quanity so no chance in spoiling in your home.
I have grown my own Jaxson but I need a raised garden here. Too much going on right now. But that's what I'd love to have here. I've grown a bit of everything with mixed success. Funny you should mention Red Gold we have cans of their "Diced Tomatoes & Green Chilies" comparable to "Rotel". Good stuff. Thanks! Canning maybe some day with your expertise to draw from.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:19 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Time of year certainly plays into the problem. We all know Florida's tomato crop has suffered greatly. I'm sure we are getting some Mexican tomatoes in our Markets here.
Where you are really going to see prices jump as early as NEXT week is in the soft fruits (peaches, nectarines, grapes, etc.). The exporting infrastructure in Chile is down indefinitely as a result of the earthquakes and the California crops is several months away.

US consumers have become used to 12 month supplies of all produce items; the cost in the coming months will be astronomical.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Where you are really going to see prices jump as early as NEXT week is in the soft fruits (peaches, nectarines, grapes, etc.). The exporting infrastructure in Chile is down indefinitely as a result of the earthquakes and the California crops is several months away.

US consumers have become used to 12 month supplies of all produce items; the cost in the coming months will be astronomical.
Yep! Wow, not looking good anytime soon. Bad economy already, didn't need the disasters on top of it. We have a small supply of canned fruit guess we'll be eating it for a while. Bleak outlook for the near future..

Old 03-02-2010, 09:11 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,431,396 times
Quote:
AT this time of year, a produce buyer purchases what tomatoes he can find at a price that his customers are willing to pay.

Fundamentally, you have two choices - central Mexico and Florida - and that depends on which fields are ready.

Sure, you can ship in some vine ripened "on the vine" from Belgium or the Netherlands if you have customers willing to pay $5 or more per pound.
The tomatoes I bought last week came out to $5.00 for about 8 ounces - so yes, some customers are willing to pay a lot more for good produce. I'd rather have one pound of tasty, organic tomatoes for $10 than 10 lbs of watery, mealy blah tomatoes with little if any nutritional value.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:13 PM

Quote:

There in lies the problem with us buying year around fruits & veggies. I remember growing up not being able to eat things until they came into season. Exported goods, whether from out of country or out of state, is usually in abundance so can sell cheaper than even local farmer markets in season. Then you have folks saying I won't pay .10 per pound higher for tomatoes even though they are really getting a better product from local sources. It's the Wal Mart syndrome in pricing, cheap prices doesn't matter the quality is not there.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
The tomatoes I bought last week came out to $5.00 for about 8 ounces - so yes, some customers are willing to pay a lot more for good produce. I'd rather have one pound of tasty, organic tomatoes for $10 than 10 lbs of watery, mealy blah tomatoes with little if any nutritional value.
So true but sadly a lot of Americans can not spend that much on a product. They need to buy as cheaply as possible to just put food on the table for their families.

When I pop open one of my home canned jars of tomatoes it spells just like when they came out of the garden. When I open a metal can processed for the grocery stores it doesn't have that strong of tomato smell.

satx you are right it is going to be bleak for a lot of folks for awhile I'm afraid.

Old 03-02-2010, 12:35 PM

28,227 posts, read 21,851,350 times
Price is no object when it comes to good produce-especially tomatoes. I buy the large plastic containers of grape tomatoes a couple of times a week.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink