Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 05:55 PM
bjh

59,833 posts, read 30,217,627 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by litlux View Post
Um, the media just reported the warnings issued by the FDA. But yeah, maybe the media shouldn't pass along this news.

And I do believe they used words like "suspected the source of contamination was..." as they tried to pin down the causes.

But sure, blame the messenger.
The messengers, indoctrinators, manure spreaders did not responsibly report an accurate and CAREFUL warning with specifics of what food and where danger is suspected. It turned out that tomatoes were not even the problem! The FDA didn't tell them to spread false fears, but they did.

The media used dramatic and hype-oriented tactics to make the gullible think every tomato in America was contaminated which is insane. Most of the media is no longer accurate, responsible, careful, informative. Now they are more attuned to getting ratings, and they don't care who they hurt to get them. Follow the money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
No.

I don't even think the media is told the truth about some of these scares. Then we have the situation in which the profession of journalism is not what it used to be and there is next to no truly invesigative reporting done any more. Reporters just relay what they are told and are happy to have a job. ....
Journalism is definitely not what it once was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:14 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,915,226 times
Thank you, who recommended Campari tomatoes. They are from Canada, I see. They are sort of an oversized cherry tomato, I see, which I did not expect. Although the flavor is good in these little darlings, it is nothing like the flavor of the heirloom Brandywine tomato. If you ever get a chance to grow/purchase a Brandywine, it is worth almost whatever exorbitant price it is selling for. I once found it in my local Lowes and brought it home to grow in my garden. Heaven! There are also seed companies that carry heirlooms. Sometimes farmer's markets will show a few.

If you hear any ancient people complaining that food does not taste the way it used to, taste a Brandywine to get an idea of the taste these old codgers are comparing the current tomatoes to.

Tomatoes these days are bred for portability, etc. Even the stuff sold that you can grow yourself have been tinkered with for disease resistance. All this manipulation has lowered both the flavor and vitamin content of what passes for tomatoes these days. I got the vitamin info from a PhD/horticulturist at Rutgers, where a lot of the hybrids come from.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink