Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 09:56 AM

3,367 posts, read 11,059,858 times

Advertisements

Not 100% sure on the science so will check later but...

I believe organic milk (or milk from grass-fed cows) is higher in omega 3 (an essential fatty acid, believed to help with kids with ADHD amonst other benefits) and CLA.

Organic Milk and Omega 3 - Benefits of Organic Milk - Organic Milk and Omega 3
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2010, 11:22 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
I prefer to buy the milk produced by LOCAL farmers and processed by LOCAL dairies than some "organic" milk that has been shipped across the country.

Old 03-03-2010, 03:15 PM

768 posts, read 942,752 times
Milk is one of the only things I buy that is not organic. They don't actually use dangerous antibiotics in cows used for most major carriers. It's one food source that seems to be pretty healthy without an organic requirement.

Old 03-03-2010, 07:51 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
OMG this is awesome... I thought I was going to get attacked for "playing into the hype" or whatnot. Yeah, organic milk is definitely worth the extra expense for the quality--I wouldn't even think of buying the non-organic kind.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:52 PM

768 posts, read 942,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
OMG this is awesome... I thought I was going to get attacked for "playing into the hype" or whatnot. Yeah, organic milk is definitely worth the extra expense for the quality--I wouldn't even think of buying the non-organic kind.
why? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just haven't seen a good argument for it in this thread from a health perspective, and I'm curious to see if I missed something. The omega 3 differential from organic to non-organic is minimal to the point of irrelevancy (and literal irrelevancy if you drink skim). Wal Mart and most other producers don't actually use bovine growth hormones anymore.

I just don't see the justification for 6 dollar a gallon milk as oppose to 2 dollar a gallon milk. I see it in some fruits and veggies, but not here.

Old 03-03-2010, 09:03 PM

27,344 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Not that theres anything wrong with orgnic milk...or organic anything else, but I buy what Ive been on the market for decades. The only things I pay the extra for is real butter, occasionally I will treat myself to milk out of a real glass bottle.
I also agree with Thinking About It on any real justification on spending that kind of money for 'organic' stuff. If we want to ease cancers and toxins going into our bodies, stop packaging things in styrofoam and plastic, those are the two most toxic things to wrap or package your food in. But dont get me started on that topic!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:48 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkin about it View Post
why? I'm not trying to be argumentative, I just haven't seen a good argument for it in this thread from a health perspective, and I'm curious to see if I missed something. The omega 3 differential from organic to non-organic is minimal to the point of irrelevancy (and literal irrelevancy if you drink skim). Wal Mart and most other producers don't actually use bovine growth hormones anymore.

I just don't see the justification for 6 dollar a gallon milk as oppose to 2 dollar a gallon milk. I see it in some fruits and veggies, but not here.
I'm the OP of this thread, so here, since I'm lazy I'll just quote my original reason for buying organic milk (in short it's for taste and the longer expiration date):

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
We always do, even though it's at times 2x the cost of non-organic milk. To be honest (and I know some of you are going to yell at me that I'm crazy) I think that it tastes better, most of the time (the one exception was an organic milk I bought from Vons and it was strange).

I feel like most of the organic milk we purchase (I usually get Organic Valley or Trader Joe's brand) has kind of a fresher more prominent "dairy" flavor than the non-organic brands we try every so often. I also like the longer expiration date that it seems to have over non-organic, for whatever reason.

Anyhow, what do you guys do? Do you think organic milk is a sham, or do you prefer it?

Old 03-06-2010, 02:06 AM

4,552 posts, read 15,027,788 times
milk is milk to me

Old 03-06-2010, 06:59 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,701,121 times
It would be nice, but organic milk isn't affordable for us yet. We go through three gallons of milk and one gallon of soy milk a week, and I don't have the budget for organic.

I have been buying Lucerne milk from Dominicks, which does not contain RGBH.

Old 03-06-2010, 07:23 AM

372 posts, read 1,116,703 times
i buy organic milk. i switched a few years ago. the taste is just better. it actually tastes like milk. whenever i have regular milk now i can almost taste the antibiotics and steroids in them. this is one of the few things i buy organic. and i'm not some liberal ecorganic person either.

organic bananas, cucumbers, peanut butter? - i really can't taste the difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink