Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 AM

4,030 posts, read 10,759,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
The first and last time I attempted my own homemade chicken stock, I thought it smelled sooooo wonderful from the other room that I went into the kitchen, got my face up close to the lid and took the lid off and let steam completely burn my face! Tears instantly filled my eyes! I was putting cold water on towels and putting aloe on my face for days. And my face started pealing. That hurt...but that was sooooo stupid of me!

Then of course there are the times that after chopping jalapenos that I rubbed my eyes, or rubbed my nose...burns for hours. One time I chopped a bunch, and they must have been particularly hot because my hands were burning for hours! That was odd. But I still love my jalapenos :-)
Oh I've done that too. I must be especially sensitive to it because sometimes I can chop jalapenos and my fingertips will burn for a couple of days.

I've had many kitchen disasters but most recently, this week in fact, I was making a simple syrup. I had just put it on the stove when I got a phone call. I walked out of the room while I was talking. I finished my call, then saw something that needed doing in the room I was in. Got totally distracted and completely forgot about the syrup on the stove. I was busy in the next room doing what it was and I kept smelling this sweet smell. Then all of the sudden I could smell something burning. Suddenly I realized I'd completely forgotten what was on the stove. I ran back into the kitchen which was filled with smoke, to find what was once syrup a hard, crunchy, black blob. It looked like lava. I grabbed the pan and ran with out into to backyard just to get it out of the house. I had all the windows and doors open and the fans on, but it didn't help much. The pan was ruined. What a mess.

No, my smoke alarm is not working. Its down, waiting for me to get a new battery. My kitchen still smells like burned sugar, even though I've wiped the cabinets and walls down. The weirdest part is that it smells the worst inside the dishwasher!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2012, 09:06 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
For me it would be most baked goods, except cookies. Baking is such a precise science and I guess I just don't roll that way lol.

Now cooking is another matter. I don't think I've ever had a disaster, although I've made some things that weren't as good as others. My deal is I just don't like to measure. I always go with instinct and use the eyeball method....which is probably why I don't do well at baking lol

Old 01-26-2012, 09:11 AM

1,739 posts, read 1,915,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chzanne View Post
Then of course there are the times that after chopping jalapenos that I rubbed my eyes, or rubbed my nose...burns for hours. One time I chopped a bunch, and they must have been particularly hot because my hands were burning for hours! That was odd. But I still love my jalapenos :-)
LOL

The chefs at my culinary school liked to joke about seeing the male students coming back from the restroom after working with hot peppers lol. They could always tell they hadn't used gloves by the pained expressions on their faces

As an aside...I too have noticed varying degrees of spiciness with jalapenos. I have some dying in my fridge right now that I don't use actually because they are so mild you could eat them like an apple and not even get the mildest hint of spiciness.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:45 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
Didn't happen to me, but when my sister was in high school, she had her boyfriend over one afternoon, and threw something in the toaster oven. A couple minutes later her boyfriend got a call and he needed to get home, and since I was the only one that was able to drive, I had to take him back, and he lived a couple towns away so it took about 50 minutes. Got home to see the kitchen filled with smoke....my sister had forgotten to turn the toaster off . Probably good thing thhe house didn't catch on fire actually.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:50 AM

9,753 posts, read 7,460,573 times
We've left the gas grill on a few times overnight and in 1 case 2 nights.
One night we were cooking hamburgers, and since they didn't have a tool to clean the grill, they left it on for a couple minutes to clean it that way. I come home from class the next day, smell something funny when I go to the door, but don't pay much attention to it. The next day as I'm leaving I see the grill still turned on that we had forgotten to shut off.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:26 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,167 times
I was making sides and appetizers for a holiday. One was a corned beef and sauerkraut breaded balls thingie made using canned corned beef like Hormel or something. The little piece that you were to pull to open the can wouldnt come off all the way sort of like the long pull strip thing on orange juice cans. So I wrapped it around my hand to get leverage. And pulled with all my might.....then let out a blood curdling scream when I realized that pull piece was SHARP METAL and I had just sliced a huge deep gash all the way around my hand. The amount of blood was amazing. Took stitches to close it. I have not made those since, been a good 20 years lol. Ouchie.

Ever wonder how a whole like 4 oz bottle of red food coloring will look all over a linoleum floor and beige formica countertop? Very pink for months lol!

Finally the time I accidentally spilled a whole bag of flour in the sink. Instinct is to turn on the water and run it down the drain. Might have worked if it wasnt the whole bag lol. Literally turned into a cement like substance and exploded my garbage disposal lol!

There is my mmother however. Made a holiday dinner complete with turkey and one of those fancy crown roast things and all the trappings. Guests all seated for dinner. Mom goes to get the meats. Oops....didnt realize she had forgotten to turn the oven on lol! First vegetarian holiday we ever had....

Old 02-26-2012, 06:31 AM

1,671 posts, read 2,024,126 times
We received a pressure cooker as a wedding gift and I wanted to surprise my husband with his favorite pork roast. I guess I cooked it too high because the lid blew off and we cleaned greasey meat off the ceiling for months!

Old 02-26-2012, 10:27 AM

20,928 posts, read 28,397,897 times
I would say I am a novice in the kitchen but that does not mean I don't have mishaps in the kitchen. 2 weeks ago I breaded some boneless skinless chicken thighs and baked them for my DH's lunch the next day. Had the oven on 350 set the timer for 22 minutes and they come out perfect and juicy. My MIL stopped by and we were chatting away I did not hear the timer beep. 1/2 hour later I said" I smell burnt toast" then I was like oh Sh****t! the thighs were burnt on the bottom. I still served them to my DH and he said they were dry as all hell. LOL

Old 02-26-2012, 02:10 PM

17,349 posts, read 16,485,995 times
One of our most memorable kitchen disasters was when the dog pulled a platter of just carved, baked chicken off of the countertop and onto the *hard* ceramic tile floor - BAM!

It was like a bomb had gone off - bits of glass and blasted chicken parts everywhere. On the appliances, the dining room table, the hall carpet, the breakfast bar, all over the floor....

I'll never forget trying to clean the mess up without cutting myself, while checking the dog to see if she's bleeding/making sure she's not eating glass infused chicken pieces and attempting to shoo my curious kids away.

Last edited by springfieldva; 02-26-2012 at 02:22 PM..

Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by springfieldva View Post
One of our most memorable kitchen disasters was when the dog pulled a platter of just carved, baked chicken off of the countertop and onto the *hard* ceramic tile floor - BAM!

It was like a bomb had gone off - bits of glass and blasted chicken parts everywhere. On the appliances, the dining room table, the hall carpet, the breakfast bar, all over the floor....
That just reminded me of something that happened about six months ago. We were going to our friends' house for dinner and so I made some Ghirardelli brownies to bring for dessert.

After dinner, we went into the den to look at some of their vacation pictures (hello! cliche!). While there, our host went into the kitchen to get the brownies. But he was taking a long time, so I went to investigate.

There he stood with the brownie container, all but the edges missing (at least the best part remained), and one of their Labs looking very sheepish but very proud of himself. We then had to go into the backyard to induce vomiting because chocolate is toxic to dogs... and that quantity would have been lethal, most likely.

Yes, a fun time was had by all.

I'd tell you about the times, when I was a kid and made Rice Krispie Treats, and would throw out the pots after melting the marshmallows because they were impossible to clean... but that would be too embarrassing. And I can still hear my father yelling about it when he couldn't find any pots (because there weren't any left).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink