Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2010, 08:26 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,240,720 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityflair View Post
What draws you into a restaurant?
1. It is not a chain.
2. It is not a family restaurant.
3. It is not a themed restaurant.
4. It is not using gimmicks of any sort to try and draw my business.
5. There is generally no 'hype' about the place other than word of mouth.
6. The place is not trying to be hip, cool, or anything else besides a good, honest place to eat.
7. It is where the locals eat. More often than not, if it is off the tourist's/visitor's radar, it will be one of the best (and cheapest) things you have ever eaten. It's a good thing that tourists never have, and never will, figure this out.

Quote:
What keeps you going back?
All of the above, plus:

The owners treat their waitstaff/kitchen with respect. I have been working in restaurants for the last 15 years. I don't care how good the food is, if I hear that staff are treated like crap, I won't be going back. Trust me, restaurant workers are thick as thieves, and we know what goes down in other restaurants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2010, 10:11 PM

37,612 posts, read 45,996,704 times
Quote:
What draws you into a restaurant? What keeps you going back?
Nothing, really. I hardly ever eat out. I suppose if I ever found a restaurant that served small healthy meals for a fair price, that would probably be one that would get my business.

Old 03-11-2010, 11:32 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by satx56 View Post
Promise of good food, consistency, decent prices, nice atmosphere and good service.
Consistency is the operative word. A brilliant restaurant that might disappoint me is way less valuable to me than a good restaurant that never will. Especially in lean times, when people don't go out as often, it's the thing that's important, pretty obviously.

Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,349,004 times
Good food (doesn't have to be great), quick and friendly service, reasonable prices and clean (bathrooms, tables, floors, dishes, glasses, utensils). We like local places and not chains. I want the food to be consistent each time I go there and have the option to make substitutions. I also want hot food to be hot and cold to be cold.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:48 AM

50,371 posts, read 63,977,343 times
When we go out, we don't want to drive far, we want nice decor, white table cloths, generous cocktails, and good food for a fair price.

We don't really go out to eat because we're hungry, but more for the experience.
We live out in the boonies, but we can get to any number of good restaurants if we drive 30 mins away. Most times, though, we don't want to drive that far. There has been one nice restaurant in town since we've lived here... cozy, yet casual. The food has changed from several different owners, but it has remained a nice place in atmosphere, so that's where we usually go.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:33 AM

5,419 posts, read 9,196,333 times
Service and good food.

I always appreciated good service, but I busted my ass last summer waiting tables and making damn sure that our customers had a good experience- bringing out the drinks/appetizers/ courses in order, ample time to order, coming back after about 5 minutes to ask them if everything was good and cooked to their liking, refilling teas, water, etc.

Now I appreciate how hard people in a restaurant work because I've actually been there. I only had one customer complain and that was because he was confused about something on the menu, which I explained about six times to him without losing patience (80 year old man, possibly a bit senile)

Old 03-12-2010, 09:38 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,782,217 times
Good food and atmosphere. I can compromise on service so long as the staff is not rude, and even price if the food is great and I enjoy the atmosphere. I like eating in cozier, quieter restaurants, not crowded noisy places with too much hustle and bustle.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:42 AM

5,867 posts, read 11,926,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SXMGirl View Post
Good food (doesn't have to be great), quick and friendly service, reasonable prices and clean (bathrooms, tables, floors, dishes, glasses, utensils). We like local places and not chains. I want the food to be consistent each time I go there and have the option to make substitutions. I also want hot food to be hot and cold to be cold.
This except - the price has to match the quality. If I go to a pricey restaurant, I want to be wowed. But I'm just as happy to go to a down home diner where the food is just "good" providing all the other criteria is met. I would say the pricey restaurants disappoint me more than the lower end ones. If I'm going to pay $50 a person (or more) I expect top notch service and above average food with a nice presentation and excellent service. It's easier to forgive the mom and pop diner for an occasional slip if you didn't just fork out half a car payment for your meal!

Old 03-15-2010, 07:35 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,106,829 times
That is easy. My favorite Mexican Restaurant has been in business for 9 years. They stopped giving us a ticket after our meal about 5 years ago. We have gone there every Thursday night since they opened. I've helped them with many problems they've had over the years. When I was in business, for the last three years, I bought 60 gift certificates at Christmas to give to my favorite customers. That helped them gain new customers. I go back because the owners of this place are like family, their children are like our own kids. My wife and I are treated like royality and never charge us a penny.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:27 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,628,555 times
Great Food
Great Service
Great Atmosphere
Attitude to fair trade/food miles/ local foods and whether the meat is humanely reared and seafood from sustainable practices
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink