Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2010, 07:02 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times

Advertisements

No food in the house, and the money to spend on eating out. The concept of not having to eat my own cooking for a change.

The place has to be convenient to me and cheap in price.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2010, 11:30 AM

2,543 posts, read 4,886,160 times
What makes me keep going to a particular restuarant:

1. The service (very nice servers and the manager/owner is very nice too, always there to say hello and welcome new patrons).

2. The atmosphere (has a good amount of patrons that come in and has nice music and maybe activities to do in there).

3. The price (it's reasonable).

4. The type of food and drinks they serve (I like certain types of foods and drinks. So, I like going to places that have my favorite type of foods).

Old 03-16-2010, 11:56 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Colorful, clean, good food & friendly, nonintrusive service.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:22 PM

17,216 posts, read 57,078,859 times
I won't say I never go to a chain, but I seldom do, and they are what they are, not much to discuss.

When I am on the road in a new place, I like to think I have a good "nose" for a good restaurant. Finally I figured out at least part of the subliminal cues I pick up on - if the place looks like it's been there about forever, but it looks very well kept - that's a pretty good clue that they have a clientale that likes them. This is how I picked put Hizina on the Ring Road in Moscow - not to brag, but what a find. Outside of the usual touristy places on Tverskaya and Arbat, last time I was there they did have an English menu but you pretty much need a decent Russian speaker in your party. But it looked like a well-preserved place from the 60's if not 50's.

For me, good food, something DW or I don't really know how to prepare, or the preparation is best done using professional equipment like a real pizza oven, or takes ingredients we don't generally have, price in proportion to quality.

Food has to be good, if the chow is not up to snuff nothing the wait staff or ambiance can do to fix that.

I'm more

Old 03-17-2010, 07:16 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
What gets me there:
-Good word of mouth. I read restaurant reviews religiously, and a great review will pique my interest.
-A unique concept...something that appears to be a little different that what I can get somewhere else.
-If it's a family-run joint (usually learned from reading reviews), I'm more likely to try it, as one who was raised in a family-run business household.

What keeps me there:
-Again, the unique concept.
-Personal, attentive service. Doesn't have to be flawless service, I'm a very forgiving customer. But the places I go back to are the places where the servers are incredibly nice and polite.
-Some type of signature dishes that are not like everywhere else.
-A large and varied menu. Not a fan of bistros where there are six entrees to choose from. If I'm having a hard time deciding between a bunch of things, that's a good sign.
-Menus that have descriptions (accurate ones!) of the food.
-Reasonable, middle-of-the-road pricing without sacrificing quality. I'll splurge on occasion for a meal if there's a special event, but overall, I expect to be able to eat out on a budget.
-The obvious stuff like it being sanitary.

Old 03-17-2010, 08:01 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,282,333 times
Good food and good service at a reasonable price.

I do not care who owns the restaurant. I don't care if it is part of a chain or if it is locally owned. I have had some great meals at chain restaurants this year and several abominable meals at local independents.

Old 03-17-2010, 10:21 PM

3,646 posts, read 5,420,743 times
Hello all. I meant to answer this question when it was first posted and then forgot. My criteria for restaurants has really changed during the last five years. Currently what I look for first is something that I can't or don't serve at home. I don't eat out much anymore and don't want a carbon copy of what I can fix at home for less money. The second consideration is something that's a little fun or different. This factor doesn't have to be a big deal or production. I had dinner at a Bahama Breeze and the table where we ate had a fire pit. A little break in the routine is fun.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM

4,098 posts, read 7,107,360 times
We just got back from a vacation visiting friends in Corpus Christi, Texas. On the way home, while in San Antonio, we made reservations at Ruth's Chris, because it is our friends favorite restaurant. He told me the food would be great, he wasn't wrong. The petite fillet was nearly 2 inches thick and tender and juicy, cooked to prefection. The side dishes were excellant, as was the dessert. The room was lit with candles on each table, the waiter was dressed in a suit that looked like a tux, the dining room was quiet and very pleasing to the eye. The waiter was most attentive and helpful without being a pest. The bill my friend paid for four of us is unknown to me, but I heard his wife exclaim "$75 for the tip"? So, the place is expensive but the food and the service was above reproach, better than anything I've ever had. I would go back again, but I wouldn't go unless I had some money to just throw away or I really wanted to impress someone. Off hand, I can't think of anyone that I would want to impress that bad...

Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Decent food for a good price. Something I havent seen in the thread yet is actually getting full. I have a massive appetite so I judge places based upon if I am still hungry. If the food is good and it is priced fine but I'm still hungry, I'm going to need to get something else to get full and there goes the pricing.

Due to this, I love Red Robin. If I'm still hungry after the burger, I can get endless fries.

I sound like a fatty...I know but I wear 33' pants.

Old 03-31-2010, 11:36 AM

3,320 posts, read 5,595,527 times
Good food, quality, value, service and atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink