Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2010, 05:33 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times

Advertisements

I've decided to go organic...better foods.

My two markets that are in my area are
Whole Foods and Earth Fare
wholefoods.com and earthfare.com

they have no antibiotic meats, no genetically altered or cloned milk, local produce, high fructose corn syrup, etc.

How does a family of a 40 year old mom and 15 year old daughter make the transition?

I know if I just buy and cook everything- I'll fail...but they have snack foods and sweets-but made with real sugar....so this may be do-able.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 07:49 PM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
I bet your daughter can make the transition better than you can. So many teens nowdays are turning vegetarian/vegan because it's trendy. In this case peer-pressure is actually a good thing (:

I would start by making a vow to have a huge bowl of salad 5 times a week. Pre-washed bagged salad mix is fine. Also, go vegetarian one or two days a week. There are plenty of Indian recipes that eschew meat & are very spicy & tasty so you won't feel like you're fasting. As far as snacks, try different protein bars because they're more healthy than most carb-laden snack foods. I've gotten back into nuts/trail mix since my good-eating kick, but for some ppl it just reminds them of airplane snacks. Snack food is sooo personal: you basically have to test bag after bag to see what you like. Oh, one more thing is to get rid of all the soda/soft drinks in your house. Those are just empty calories that don't even fill you up!

Old 03-16-2010, 04:38 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Eschew meat?

I am such a pizza and taco person...will the sign say: eschew?
What is that?

smokinggun- my daughter made a comment to me while visiting the store last week to check it out- Mom! Everyone in here is so thin and trim!
She said it!

While I was checking out the organic style doritos and orange koolaid- you are right...it may be harder for me!

Old 03-16-2010, 07:39 AM

10,172 posts, read 20,778,598 times
Well the first thing I'd recommend is doing it gradually. The quickest way to get turned off by something is by making a dramatic change all at once. It's the same with diets, how many people go on a diet only to jump off the wagon after a few weeks? Work the healthy stuff in by gradually replacing the processed food snacks with healthier alternatives. It's easier to ween yourself off than go cold turkey.

Next, when shopping for organic produce, make sure it is pesticide free, otherwise there is no health benefit to eating organic. Most organic fruits and veggies are treated with organic pesticides which are just as harmful as chemical pesticides. Look and ask for pesticide free.

Old 03-17-2010, 01:08 AM

1,963 posts, read 5,621,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
Eschew meat?

I am such a pizza and taco person...will the sign say: eschew?
What is that?

smokinggun- my daughter made a comment to me while visiting the store last week to check it out- Mom! Everyone in here is so thin and trim!
She said it!

While I was checking out the organic style doritos and orange koolaid- you are right...it may be harder for me!
by eschew, i mean Indian recipes that don't have meat. Which brings up another point that you can also substitute soy protein (fake ground beef) for things like tacos or chili. It takes a bit getting used to the lack of greasiness in foods but the payoff for your heart & waistline is worth it.

Old 03-18-2010, 11:39 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
by eschew, i mean Indian recipes that don't have meat. Which brings up another point that you can also substitute soy protein (fake ground beef) for things like tacos or chili. It takes a bit getting used to the lack of greasiness in foods but the payoff for your heart & waistline is worth it.
Going organic has nothing to do with eschewing meat. Whole foods sells delicious (organic) meat products like steak, poultry, etc. Their sushi is not bad either.

I think you misunderstood the OP - she didn't say she wanted to go vegan/vegetarian, she wants to switch to organic.

VegasGrace - you'd be surprised how much info you can find on the Whole Foods website. They have lots of suggestions/ideas on preparing and serving the foods that they sell. They also have food guides to help you learn about items you may not have included in your shopping trips before, and categories for all sorts of special diets.

Recipes @ Whole Foods Market | WholeFoodsMarket.com

As far as making the transition - buy the things you would normally buy in a regular supermarket. If the issue is budget, then I would add one or two new items per shopping trip for experimenting, like say quinoa and whole wheat couscous (I just picked these because they are items I don't usually find in 'regular' grocery stores). As you may have noticed, you don't have to foresake much since there are so many organic and HFCS-free choices in a whole foods store. What are the bigger concerns you have with making the transition? It seems like you're worried that if you have to prepare your own meals instead of rely on prepackaged "snack foods and sweets" that you'll "fail" - I think you'll do just fine if you start with simple, easy to prepare recipes and work your way up.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:47 PM

4,103 posts, read 7,024,908 times
I have a pretty decent stockpile of food but I'm replacing with organic as I go. I'm going to have to rethink how we eat, also, because we eat meat with every meal and hormone/antibiotic/free range/grass fed meat is very expensive.

Old 03-19-2010, 10:07 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,425,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlitasway View Post
I have a pretty decent stockpile of food but I'm replacing with organic as I go. I'm going to have to rethink how we eat, also, because we eat meat with every meal and hormone/antibiotic/free range/grass fed meat is very expensive.
We make it go farther by limiting portion sizes. It also helps with weight maintenance. One portion of protein is never more than 3-4 oz/person per meal.

Another trick we use to keep costs down is checking the clearance section in the meat department, as we've found many times organic poultry for 50%. We buy it all up and freeze it for use later.

Meat replacements a couple of meals a week also helps - veggie burgers, beans/legumes, tofu stir-fry, and the like.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:21 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
We make it go farther by limiting portion sizes. It also helps with weight maintenance. One portion of protein is never more than 3-4 oz/person per meal.

Another trick we use to keep costs down is checking the clearance section in the meat department, as we've found many times organic poultry for 50%. We buy it all up and freeze it for use later.

Meat replacements a couple of meals a week also helps - veggie burgers, beans/legumes, tofu stir-fry, and the like.
Excellent thing to point out. Our view of proper protein size is horribly skewed in this country, especially since restaurants routinely serve 16 oz or more per person! When one starts thinking that a piece of meat, chicken etc should be roughly the size of a deck of playing cards, the cost of eating decent meat drops significantly.

Old 03-19-2010, 01:26 PM

7,364 posts, read 14,673,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokingGun View Post
If you really read up on soy protein, you would not be recommending that people eat it. Personally I will not touch a food item that is a by-product of chemical waste. (Previously only used as cardboard filler, soy protein is the waste product you get when you extract oil from a soy bean using a toxic solvent called hexane. Yes, there is hexane residue in soy protein products such as meat substitutes and food-replacement bars) No soy protein for me, only "old fashioned" soy foods like tofu or tempeh. PS - Indians don't eat soy protein either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink