Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 12:41 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times

Advertisements

This is mostly about Horizon and their very poor business practices. They are like the McDonald's or Walmart of the Organic world. Horizon follows the letter of the organic laws, not the spirit. Yes, they don't use antibiotics and the cows are fed organic corn. But they're still confined feedlot-style and milked until they're dry and sold to the meat industry. The dairy laws were recently changed though to mandate pasture times so we'll see what Horizon does with that.

They've been sued multiple times for not using organic practices. Dean Foods, their owner, is one of the largest food product manufacturers in the US. I find it hilarious that they try to play the small family farm card and even go as far as using cows, grazing in the grass, on their boxes! Their poor cows are confined to feedlots and are fed grains! If you buy organic milk and Horizon is your only option, you're better off sticking to non-organic and saving those extra dollars.

There have been a number of allegations of them sourcing from largescale feedlots in which the animals have no access to forage during growing season. The feedlots themselves are really antithetical to why many of us buy organic (environmental and humane reasons), and the lack of access to organic forage violates organic standards. It will be interesting to see how the improved regulations will affect Dean foods. Dean Foods brands include Silk, Land o Lakes, Rachel's, Altadena, Mountain High, Morningstar, and more.

Dean Foods Company - SourceWatch

Family Farm Defenders : Know Your Dairy Giants-Dean Foods (http://www.familyfarmdefenders.org/index.php/Main/KnowYourDairyGiants-DeanFoods - broken link)

Horizon Organic Dairy Feedlots Watering Down Organic Standards (http://www.organicconsumers.org/organic/feedlots060905.cfm - broken link)

Horizon Organic Starting to Feel the Pain from Organic Consumers Boycott of its Feedlot Sourced Milk

Not only that, there has been additional controversy with Dean foods changing their organic soymilk to non-organic, without changing the packaging. (Silk, anyone?)

Dean Foods Accused of Silk Soy Milk 'Bait and Switch' | BNET Food Blog | BNET

OpEdNews - Article: Dean Foods, Target Stumble—Being Forced to Correct Deceptive Practices

That all aside, buying from local growers directly or through Organic Valley (or Stonyfield/Oikos) supports a more varied, localized food system, while buying Dean Foods supports yet another megacorporation increasing the monopolization of our food system. Organic Valley, for example, has only 1332 farmers-owners in 32 states and provinces, so you can be assured it's a quality products and not a corporation. Just something to think about before you shell out big bucks for organic milk!

Old 03-26-2010, 05:54 AM

889 posts, read 2,711,839 times
Thanks so much for that info. I get my milk from a friend's cow. We switched over in the Fall and this is the first winter my scrawny kids have ever grown!! However, the couple times we couldn't get her milk, we did get Horizon. I will boycott them. Thanks again!!

Old 03-26-2010, 10:28 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I wish I had a friend with a cow! I just noticed that Horizon is at every single store I go to, including Target, and I'm sure most people are not aware that they may not be getting organic when they support that company.

Old 03-26-2010, 05:57 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,668,568 times
Interesting to me.

I had bought Horizon organic milk a number of times, but it always tasted a bit odd and in one case threw the whole thing out down the drain it was so bad. I wont buy it anymore.

I guess I had that one pegged.

Old 04-23-2010, 10:03 AM

3,509 posts, read 9,421,954 times
Also drinking pasteurized milk over-stresses the pancreas and can lead to diabetes.

Old 04-23-2010, 04:52 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,319,235 times
So...you stated who NOT to trust and I'm glad you brought that to our attention. I am one who drinks Silk,,,no more. Are there any Soy-milk producers you CAN trust? Can you balance your post for us. Is there a company brand we need to be asking our stores to stock?

Old 04-23-2010, 08:02 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellafinzi View Post
Also drinking pasteurized milk over-stresses the pancreas and can lead to diabetes.
I am sure you know there is a whole underground movement selling and buying raw milk......

Old 04-24-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I am sure you know there is a whole underground movement selling and buying raw milk......
So...you stated who NOT to trust and I'm glad you brought that to our attention. I am one who drinks Silk,,,no more. Are there any Soy-milk producers you CAN trust? Can you balance your post for us. Is there a company brand we need to be asking our stores to stock? ????

Old 04-24-2010, 08:40 AM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deef1 View Post
So...you stated who NOT to trust and I'm glad you brought that to our attention. I am one who drinks Silk,,,no more. Are there any Soy-milk producers you CAN trust? Can you balance your post for us. Is there a company brand we need to be asking our stores to stock? ????
I'm not the OP, sorry!

Old 04-24-2010, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshe95girl View Post
I'm not the OP, sorry!
Yeah, I know that kshe95girl. Sorry...I was trying to get someone, anyone to tell us where and what is good to buy. Didn't necessarily mean you should tell us. Sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink