Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 04:52 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,116,892 times

Advertisements

Seriously I use my little crock pot 2-3 times a week and being single that means leftovers for the next day. Today I threw in a fajita seasoning packet, 2 lbs of stew meat and veggies (yellow/green peppers & onions). In about an hour I'll be thickening the liquid and tonight I'll have a stew type meal for serving over rice.

It is so easy to cook with I can't believe I didn't start using one a long time ago, heh. That and it is easy to be creative with it. I'm always seeing something and thinking "I bet I could throw that in the crock with a little bit of X and some Y!", lol.

So what appliances can't you live without? What appliances do you use the most and how do you get creative with them?

Oh and speaking of appliances you use a lot... the ice shaver I bought a few years ago for like twenty bucks is due to come out of the closet again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 PM

4,468 posts, read 8,003,004 times
Love the crock pot, and the little table top oven/broiler gaget works great. and the electric turkey etc cooker, and my wife just bought a rice cooker and it is great..should of had one 10 years ago.
HW oh and the bbq.

Old 03-30-2010, 06:47 AM

3,169 posts, read 5,163,942 times
I definitely couldn't live without my crockpot. My electric grill/panini press is a close second.

Old 03-30-2010, 07:08 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
Could not live without my VitaMix and my Keurig coffee maker. Those are my deal breakers.

On the "nice to have when I am in the mood" list are my crockpot, bread machine and rotisserie. I do not bake in the bread machine, but it is awesome for mixing and the initial rise of the dough.

On the "see the light of day about twice a year" list: the food processor and KitchenAid mixer. Really don't use them a lot.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,141,675 times
Could not live without my refrigerator!

Number one!

Old 03-30-2010, 08:19 AM

50,367 posts, read 63,964,084 times
That's funny, because I rarely use my crockpot. I don't see the point of trying to guess how long something will take in a crockpot when I can control the time and temperature in the oven or on top of the stove.

I love my garbage disposal. We recyle everything else, but I'm glad we don't have any stinky garbage.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:37 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
I love my KitchenAid mixer. I use it once or twice a week. Tonight we're having turkey meatloaf, and the mixer is great for that.

I love my crock pot too and use it every week or two. My favorite things to make with it are BBQ chicken (cook breasts or thighs with some broth all day, then drain, shred and add BBQ sauce) and crock pot carnitas. I make this, then drain/shred the meat and add some medium salsa with beans and corn in it. It's great over brown rice and in sandwiches the next day.

Slow Cooker Carnitas - All Recipes

Hey, crock pot carnitas and brown rice ... perfect for you!

My crock pot is bigger and has a timer, so I can tell it to cook something for eight hours on low. When the timer goes off, it lowers the heat to "keep warm."

I have a food processor but don't use it very much. It's fast and does a great job, but there are so many pieces that get dirty as a result. My dishwasher already runs at least twice a day. My mixer just uses the bowl and one attachment--usually the paddle. I usually cut up veggies with a knife and cutting board. I don't need to use half my dishwasher to clean them like all the parts of the food processor.

I use my immersion blender once or twice a year. It's good for cream soups, but I don't make those a lot.

I can't remember the last time I used the regular blender. My older daughter drags it out every now and then to make smoothies and invariably makes a giant mess. I am not fond of the blender.

I have a toaster that is way too old and needs to be put out of its misery, but we don't eat enough toast for me to buy a new one. I also have a Hello Kitty waffle maker that my mother gave me. Waffles are already ridiculously labor-intensive, so we stick to pancakes as a treat, but the kids do like eating the ears off little bunnies and kitties.

Two things I can't live without aren't appliances but cookware. I have a big pot with a strainer insert (good for pasta and big pots of soup) and a BIG skillet. The skillet is a pain to store because it doesn't fit in any cupboard, but I use it several times a week.

Old 03-30-2010, 08:41 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
Oh, another thing! I have a digital food scale, which I love. It has a lot of stored food info, so it will tell you the calories/fat/etc of whatever you are weighing (great for dieting), and it's useful when recipes call for measurements by weight instead of volume.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:10 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,503,069 times
The crockpot is #1 on my list of kitchen appliances I would be willing to get rid of. Not big on recipes that call for cans of soup and also find that every recipe I've tried sort of smells/tastes the same, and is never as good as doing something similar in the dutch oven.

I bought it partly to warm queso dip for big parties but it doesn't even do a good job at that, it overheats it so the edges burn.

If I had to pick one appliance it would by my blender or my toaster oven.

Old 03-30-2010, 03:25 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,743,972 times
JustJulia, thank you SO MUCH for the carnitas recipe. My recipe, from Sunset, takes forever. I'll be trying this very soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink