Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2019, 04:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,663,155 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
My main go to is the NY Strip and the next up is Flank Steak; USDA Choice is fine.
atm I'm shopping for a whole strip (a TG dinner and freezer)... best $$ so far is $7.50/lb.
Only problem is that seller is back home in MD.

rant: Stores will label just about anything as "London Broil" (a cooking method not a cut of meat)
and I've see them referring to 'bone in NY strip' and the latest is equating "Angus" with "Choice" /rant

Be careful... most of the drones behind the counter don't have the first clue.
Dad always said the same about London Broil..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2019, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
Because they know more about steak than you?

You cut up the prime rib into ribeye steaks....
That is why it is called rib eye and not prime rib. they are from the same cut but generally not referred to by the same name. I have never gone to a butcher shop or a super market and seen any steak call Prime rib. Or a roast called a Ribeye roast.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:58 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Have to have an explanation as to why people are calling prime rib steak? I love prime rib, but never think of it as steak..
Prime rib is the exact same thing as a Rib Eye. One is cooked whole as a roast and then sliced, the other is sliced and then cooked, exposing more surface area. Same exact cut, different cooking method.

Old 10-28-2019, 03:33 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
A primal cut or cut of meat is a piece of meat initially separated from the carcass of an animal during butchering.
Examples of primals include the round, loin, rib, and chuck for beef...

This is why we buy cook and serve "prime rib"
and at other times we'll have rib steaks.

Old 10-28-2019, 04:08 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Prime Rib - end cut.

T-Bone.
anything else

Old 10-28-2019, 11:03 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,829,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Prime Rib - end cut.

T-Bone.
anything else
A "Prime Rib - end cut" is part of a roast, not a steak.

Old 10-29-2019, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post
Prime rib is the exact same thing as a Rib Eye. One is cooked whole as a roast and then sliced, the other is sliced and then cooked, exposing more surface area. Same exact cut, different cooking method.
I am aware of that but I still have never seen it referred to as prime steak. Check the meat dept in any store, whether butcher shop or your favorite market. You will not see Rib Eye listed as prime steak. This is the same as many cuts of meats or other foods as well. They may come from the same source but they are not referred to as the same thing. bTW, if you read the replies to the usage as Prime steak here, you will see I am not the only person who wonders why suddenly the word Prime steak is being used. I am not questioning the cut,just mentioning I have never seen it referred to this way. That is all.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:40 AM

1,371 posts, read 666,323 times
Quote:
I am aware of that but I still have never seen it referred to as prime steak. Check the meat dept in any store, whether butcher shop or your favorite market. You will not see Rib Eye listed as prime steak. This is the same as many cuts of meats or other foods as well. They may come from the same source but they are not referred to as the same thing. bTW, if you read the replies to the usage as Prime steak here, you will see I am not the only person who wonders why suddenly the word Prime steak is being used. I am not questioning the cut,just mentioning I have never seen it referred to this way. That is all.

Who is calling it a "prime steak." The one post of mine that you quoted (and I'm not sure why), I stated they were the same CUT and even stated once sliced uncooked it became a ribeye steak. I'm not going back and rereading all the posts, but I don't remember anyone calling it a prime steak and I certainly didn't.

Old 10-29-2019, 08:42 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,466,637 times
Quote:
Ahh, I get it now. "Prime" is the grade of the meat. There is "Prime" Ribeye, there is "Choice" Ribeye, "Select" Ribeye and so on. "Prime" is not used in the name of the cut. There is some meat, the lowest quality, which has no grade. Technically it may have a grade but it is not usually printed on the price tag. Prime is the most expensive. The top three grades have to do with the marbling of the meat. I agree that it is confusing.

What’s Your Beef – Prime, Choice or Select?
https://www.usda.gov/media/blog/2013...-select?page=1

Beef Quality Grades (Eight)
https://beef2live.com/story-beef-qua...ight-97-103755

Old 10-29-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medtran49 View Post
Who is calling it a "prime steak." The one post of mine that you quoted (and I'm not sure why), I stated they were the same CUT and even stated once sliced uncooked it became a ribeye steak. I'm not going back and rereading all the posts, but I don't remember anyone calling it a prime steak and I certainly didn't.
No I didn't mean you did, I just responded at that time because I was curious as to why so many had called it a prime steak. Prior to your post there were some. I do agree it isn't worth going back and reading the responses. I also think this probably should be a dead post about this time. Not what is a good steak but arguing over what a piece of meat should be called
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink