Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2010, 09:01 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,556,791 times

Advertisements

I like the "eye" of the porterhouse best. Not sure this is correct, but I heard that part is the filet and the other side of the bone is the strip (which is my husband's favorite). Anyway, when shopping I always look for the big eye. My next favorite would be a delmonico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2010, 08:06 PM

44,268 posts, read 19,924,577 times
A nice, thick, medium-rare piece of prime rib!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:09 PM

259,023 posts, read 90,238,024 times
I usually watch for Porterhouse and Rib with bone in on sale. I even like chuck steak marinated in Italian salad dressing over night when grilled on charcoal.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:39 PM

501 posts, read 1,292,312 times
Recently, I've gotten hooked on NY steaks. Used to love rib eyes, and now they are second on my list.

I raise my own NY steaks, and have found I like them best when I just marinate them in a bit of olive oil, kosher salt and freshly ground pepper for a hour or so. Then if I am lazy, I cook them in a really hot cast iron pan very quickly; if not lazy, then I use our charbroiler.

Also love steaks on the grill outside, but it isn't even close to the right weather outside for that yet!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:35 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,606,213 times
Sirloin, tri-tip, both have great flavor. Chuck eye is the poor mans ribeye. I like the t-bone/porterhouse. I cut off the striip and the fillet and give to the kids, then I get the bone. I never said i cut close to the bone!

A good t-bone meal means ya gotta take a shower after.

Smoked brisket is another fantastic one, w/the point cut and back on for burnt ends!

Old 04-13-2010, 04:35 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,517,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Without a doubt the tri-tip or triangle roast for you easterners. I get mine stripped from Costco. Before their popularity exploded you used to be able to get them from butchers for cheap as they would just grind them into hamburger. That was back in the 60's and 70's.
Ok I'm changing mine. I had the best piece of beef I've ever eatin in my life on Sunday. "Bistecca alla Fiorentina" Prime Porterhouse 22oz Lobel Piedmontese dry aged. Best Damn meat of all time.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:30 PM

5,419 posts, read 9,164,290 times
oh man, I had a GREAT steak Sunday.

I was in an Army training excercise for three days over the weekend (thurs fri sat sunday morning) and it was coincidentally in the same town as my house. I had my grandmother pick me up at the gas station, and she started to thaw a beautiful buffalo sirloin steak as soon as I got back home, in the shower, and ate breakfast.

Several hours later, she had marinated it in teriyaki sauce and minced garlic and some other spices, maybe.. idk.

I watched it cook on the grill and ate it rarer side of medium rare. First half was sooooo goood. it was actually sweet, very tender, etc. the last bit I ate with a bit of A1.

It was combined with a bunch of asparagus, a baked potato with sour cream and butter, and an icy cold MGD

Old 04-14-2010, 09:38 AM

16,889 posts, read 16,007,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Sirloin, tri-tip, both have great flavor. Chuck eye is the poor mans ribeye. I like the t-bone/porterhouse. I cut off the striip and the fillet and give to the kids, then I get the bone. I never said i cut close to the bone!

A good t-bone meal means ya gotta take a shower after.

Smoked brisket is another fantastic one, w/the point cut and back on for burnt ends!
Funny how people like different things.

I could cook a chuck eye steak that'll blow away that ribeye steak. yet many people love ribeye. That's cool...I certainly wouldn't say "Chuck eye is the poor mans ribeye, or Ribeye is the poorman's whatever...." That's wrong, that's B.S..
To each their own! As for me, if I had a ribeye I'd give it away because I sure wouldn't eat it, not even for free. That's me and my opinion; plenty of people would probably toss out the chuck eye steak, too.....so let's not insult what others like. Peace!!!

Last edited by rainroosty; 04-14-2010 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-14-2010, 09:59 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,503,311 times
Flan steak, rare, cut against the grain nice and thin.

Old 04-14-2010, 10:43 AM

1,260 posts, read 1,680,970 times
Tri-tip, which is pretty hard to get up here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink