Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2010, 07:45 AM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcats View Post
Thanks for posting this. I had been wanting to watch this and caught it last night because of this posting. It was a great refresher on the topic of food production in our country. To me, the E. Coli business is not even the scary part of it all. It's the almost total control these companies have over the government that is scary and infuriating. It has renewed my motivation to minimize my participation in supporting it.

Deleted .
Deleted

I agree that large business'/$/politics can be shady, but I do know that the production side is still monitored very closely.

Last edited by Beretta; 04-22-2010 at 08:32 PM.. Reason: previous post edited
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2010, 08:07 AM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt. Cave Man View Post
Deleted

I agree that large business'/$/politics can be shady, but I do know that the production side is still monitored very closely.
Deleted

The production side of things involves a lot more than checking if the food is E. coli free and safe, if that's what you mean by "close monitoring" (and is not my main concern anyway, but no, I don't think it's close enough when they're allowed to keep on doing just what they're doing, when it's illegal even to publish photographs of a processing facillity).

It's stuff like that whole seed patenting business that I hate and believe is totally corrupt.

Last edited by Beretta; 04-22-2010 at 08:32 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Deleted

The production side of things involves a lot more than checking if the food is E. coli free and safe, if that's what you mean by "close monitoring" (and is not my main concern anyway, but no, I don't think it's close enough when they're allowed to keep on doing just what they're doing, when it's illegal even to publish photographs of a processing facillity).

It's stuff like that whole seed patenting business that I hate and believe is totally corrupt.
Actually very little e.coli monitoring/checking goes on in production. E. coli comes from waste, animals will lay in their own waste and that is why their environment is kept clean.

The seed patenting, why do you think it is corrupt? Farmers are required to sign a paper say'n that they will not "brown bag" seed, but only from certain seeds...not all. BTW, brown bag is save'n your own seed to replant &/or sell. If you sign it and you do it, then expect to pay the consequences. You don't have to buy that seed w/that trait. That is one example of the 1/2 truths in the film. We didn't get the whole story, very misleading.

Last edited by Beretta; 04-22-2010 at 08:33 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 12:08 PM

830 posts, read 2,712,292 times
It's corrupt because there are very few sources left of seed (a monopoly, basically - Monsanto), and so no, there is very little choice left for many crops. You pretty much DO have to buy seed with that trait. Moreover, even pollination from neighboring farms who have bought the GMO seed causes any non-patented seed farmers' crops to become contaminated and then also be subject to patent infringement suits when they saved seed from their now-contaminated crops. The onus is now on that non-GMO farmer. Maybe Monsanto should be paying trespassing and contamination fines. Maybe Monsanto should also not have declined to be interviewed for the film if they want to tell their side of the story.

The E. coli business - the risk is greatly excaberated by the use of feed lots (close quarters and grain feeding), which no, are not kept clean.

Old 04-22-2010, 12:27 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
Lets just get down to the rub of it all. There is just to many people on earth. You can't support this many people through 18th century farming and ranching techniques. The math won't support it. Thats why until the Industrial revolution and the Modern age you could expect to die by 40.
So let's just quit helping feed the world and let evolution take its course survival of the fittest. Thats what they teach in public school. THE STRONG WILL SURVIVE. You people want to get back to trying to live the post industrial agrarian life style. FINE but your not going to like it. we should be able to cut the worlds population in half in about 100 years. Most of it in Africa and Eurasia. Should we stop sending medicines to third world countries that we subsidise? Oh no that would be cruel and in human. then how do you propose to feed everyone. Is your one cow and organically raised vegtables going to do it. NO!! Square foot gardening many be fine for modern countries but try to feed a billon people with your topsy turvy tomato basket!

Cut off the food supply, reduce the population, reduce greenhouse gases and bam no more global warming. @#$%^&^%$#%!!!

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 04-22-2010 at 12:36 PM..

Old 04-22-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
It's corrupt because there are very few sources left of seed (a monopoly, basically - Monsanto), and so no, there is very little choice left for many crops. You pretty much DO have to buy seed with that trait. Moreover, even pollination from neighboring farms who have bought the GMO seed causes any non-patented seed farmers' crops to become contaminated and then also be subject to patent infringement suits when they saved seed from their now-contaminated crops. The onus is now on that non-GMO farmer. Maybe Monsanto should be paying trespassing and contamination fines. Maybe Monsanto should also not have declined to be interviewed for the film if they want to tell their side of the story.

The E. coli business - the risk is greatly excaberated by the use of feed lots (close quarters and grain feeding), which no, are not kept clean.
I'm a farmer and I used to sell seed. There are plenty of seed companies, Dupont to name a major one(Pioneer). No you do not have to buy the seed w/the trait. Well, contamination never happened out here, cause I had a neighbor w/said seed. The reason Monsanto didn't take the interview is because they knew it would be skewed toward their(Food Inc.) agenda, that is the way the whole movie is.

As for clean feed lots, ours are.

When and where was the last time you visited a cattle/hog finishing yard? Did you talk to the manager/farmer?

Old 04-22-2010, 01:14 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
Well, I watched it. Thanks again, Random.

Is telling only 1/2 the truth a lie?
Amen. Absolutely. Old Sam Clemons would have a blast with this as well as the late great Will Rodgers.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:19 PM

259,024 posts, read 90,587,345 times
Quote:
I'm a farmer and I used to sell seed. There are plenty of seed companies, Dupont to name a major one(Pioneer). No you do not have to buy the seed w/the trait. Well, contamination never happened out here, cause I had a neighbor w/said seed. The reason Monsanto didn't take the interview is because they knew it would be skewed toward their(Food Inc.) agenda, that is the way the whole movie is.

As for clean feed lots, ours are.

When and where was the last time you visited a cattle/hog finishing yard? Did you talk to the manager/farmer?
One of the cleanest well managed barns I've ever seen is a pork finishing building in MO. Fresh running water, fan cooled, clean bedding and happy well fed pork chops and hams. Of course you never see these in documentaries. Look who foots the bill and you know why.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:25 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,471,504 times
Quote:
The reason Monsanto didn't take the interview is because they knew it would be skewed toward their(Food Inc.) agenda, that is the way the whole movie is.
How do you know that's why Monsanto didn't take the interview? Would a company like Monsanto, in one of their PR campaigns, disclose something that was extremely negative to their agenda, even if it were true? That means they are only speaking only half truths, as well. What's the difference.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:48 PM

19,723 posts, read 10,496,229 times
Quote:

I've worked in a packing plant. One of my jobs was inspection, before the sides of beef went to the bone- line. We had problems, with people on the kill line not doing their job correctly, not the feed lot, the beef came from............
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink