Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2020, 11:16 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times

Advertisements

Tiny Tots sardines, which are the ones I buy, are the King Oscar brand, from Norway.

King Oscar does other sardines too. But I like the Tiny Tots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2020, 11:31 AM

3,273 posts, read 2,969,763 times
I do not like sardines, but my DH LOVES them. The brand he buys is from Canada, named Brunswick. Sardine Fillets in Tomato and Basil sauce. He has bought King Oscar, which he likes too.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:47 AM

29,515 posts, read 22,653,459 times
I never liked sardines, just has that bitter aftertaste that makes you gag, plus your breath and your farts end up smelling rank too.

I used to love and eat canned herring especially in olive oil.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:54 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I used to eat them on pizza, but since I don't eat pizza much (rarely) I haven't eaten one in eons.

Old 08-02-2020, 11:59 AM

215 posts, read 144,817 times
the smoked Sprats from Eastern Europe , Lithuania are pretty good quality

sold at Russian / Eastern European grocery stores

Old 08-02-2020, 03:09 PM

303 posts, read 111,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
I never liked sardines, just has that bitter aftertaste that makes you gag, plus your breath and your farts end up smelling rank too.

I used to love and eat canned herring especially in olive oil.
There's wide disparity in canned herring brands, and the differences are consistent.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
You left out sardines/herring packed in jars. There's the Vita brand; it comes packed in either sour cream (tastes better than it sounds) or diluted vinegar. There's also the Ikea brand, coming packed in a variety of sauces, varying from store to store.
Will check them out. Thanks.

Old 08-03-2020, 08:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,325,075 times
I love canned sardines, but you really ought to try grilled.

You can buy a bag of whole frozen sardines (they're about 6" long). I take a few out at a time, thaw, clean (just like cleaning any fish), cut off the head, then sometimes I fillet them and lay the fillets skin side up on a piece of foil; and sometimes I just split them down the middle and lay them skin side up on a piece of foil. Either way, you just grill them (outside) or broil them (in the oven) like that. First time out I drizzled some olive oil and sprinkled some salt - mistake: they are plenty oily and salty enough in themselves.

They cook really quick.

Delicious this way. They're rich, though - I don't think I could eat more than two fish at a sitting.

Old 08-03-2020, 09:19 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I used to eat them on pizza, but since I don't eat pizza much (rarely) I haven't eaten one in eons.
Never thought of them on pizza; If i'm going to use anything like that on pizza it would have to be anchovies

Old 08-03-2020, 09:51 AM

14,968 posts, read 9,810,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

You can buy a bag of whole frozen sardines (they're about 6" long). I take a few out at a time, thaw, clean (just like cleaning any fish), cut off the head, then sometimes I fillet them and lay the fillets skin side up on a piece of foil; and sometimes I just split them down the middle and lay them skin side up on a piece of foil. Either way, you just grill them (outside) or broil them (in the oven) like that. First time out I drizzled some olive oil and sprinkled some salt - mistake: they are plenty oily and salty enough in themselves.

They cook really quick.

Delicious this way. They're rich, though - I don't think I could eat more than two fish at a sitting.
Where I come from frozen sardines are called ... bait.

Old 08-03-2020, 10:02 AM

4,088 posts, read 2,562,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post

They cook really quick.

I've never grilled frozen sardines like this, but eating fresh ones grilled with fresh herbs and a squeeze of lemon puts me in a happy place. I'll have to try the frozen ones to see if I like them as a reasonable substitute. They're usually readily available and on sale at local grocery stores around Christmas time due to the significant Italian-American population in the area that celebrates the Feast of the Seven Fishes. For fresh ones, I have to hit the local seafood market when they're in season.

Three to four grilled sardines (crispy skins--mmm) with some crusty bread, a nice salad, and a glass of good, dry white wine is a perfect meal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink