U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2022, 03:34 PM

11,788 posts, read 8,432,638 times

Advertisements

Any dead crab you get where the shell is red in appearance is cooked already. Just thaw/serve cold or in melted butter.

Live crab must be cooked alive or killed and cooked immediately, it becomes toxic when the crab dies if it is not cooked. Do not buy live crab unless you can keep alive until cooking in cool sea water.

Cook in Salt water.

We would grab the hind legs of the live crab, in each hand, whack it on a table edge or rock, Twist the legs and body meat free, and cook that. Throw away the shell. Explanation sounds cumbersome, but is simple once you see it done.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2022, 07:08 AM

3,702 posts, read 1,606,710 times
We had a guest that stayed with us when crab season opened a few weeks ago.
She gifted me a crab cleaning tool.
I politely thanked her and said to myself that this thing will never work as good as my hands.
I would normally just tear off the shell by hand and split the body in half by hand and dodge angry crab.
That worked well enough for me I thought.

We went through lots of crab that week and the wife told me to be nice and use the gift.
That damn thing works well.
Takes the “angry biting” thing right out of them fast and humanely.

I just put the crab belly on it, give it a bump with the bottom of my fist and the crab comes right apart with the meat in two section.
I pull out the gills and shake out the yucky and then shake it once or twice in a Home Depot bucket of water and that cleans them up as good as any store bought.
Then off to the turkey steamer thing they go .

Freshly harvested crab is a real treat.
Attached Thumbnails
Dungeness Crab-f463212d-f0a6-4350-bd01-9fb17d138313.jpeg  

Old 07-30-2022, 07:08 AM

22,835 posts, read 14,419,143 times
I’m coastal New England. I bought 6 softshell lobsters in the grocery store yesterday and had them steam them. I tossed the bodies in the trash at the grocery store and shelled the tails. I did claws & arms in the kitchen sink. $7/pound. 19.2 ounces of lobster meat on the food scale.

We don’t get Dungeness crab here. New Bedford a couple of miles away has a Jonah crab processing company. I can get frozen claw meat for $10/pound. I make Newberg with it occasionally using Pepperidge Farm pastry shells and the old NY Times Cookbook recipe which is shallot, butter, paprika, half & half thickened with flour and sherry.

My sister in Vancouver goes to Granville Island and buys Dungeness crab meat. My brother-in-law makes a killer salad with crabmeat and berries from the Okanagan. They occasionally do Singapore Crab with whole crabs. Steamed. You boiled people are defective.

Old 07-30-2022, 07:23 PM

22,835 posts, read 14,419,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I live in the heart of Dungeness Crab Country.
There is even a town or area down the road called Dungeness.
We get ours from our backyard.

What we do is,
Split them in half and clean them while they are still alive.
I modified my turkey fryer by shortening the basket to keep 3 inches of water below it and steam them for 7-8 minutes.

Steaming is the way to go.
They are sweeter too.
When I used to boil whole crab they didn’t taste as good and were too hot to clean.
I put the steamed crab into a bucket with flowing cold water for a bit to chill them and stop them cooking.
Can you explain why you clean them before cooking? As a lobster-centric New Englander, I always steam lobsters before shelling them. The only exception is baked-stuffed lobster where you kill the lobster with a knife and split the tail & body so you can stuff it. I use a Ritz cracker stuffing with lightly chopped scallops, usually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink