Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-19-2010, 05:32 PM

8,954 posts, read 20,685,976 times

Advertisements

Poking around today and found a story about the old "C" rations of the past. I ate my share of both C & K ratios in S.E.Asia 40+ years ago!

I noted that these food rations also included a package of condoms and a small package of Old Gold cigarettes.

My how times have changed since I served......

C-ration - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2010, 10:40 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,955,069 times
MCI, Meals, Combat, Individual... sometimes known as the C-ration. That's what I ate in the service in the early to late seventies. I had my favorite items, and being a non-smoker I could trade the little 4-packs of cigs for an entree or dessert item I preferred, especially if I drew the hated can of chopped ham and eggs. There was a mix of cigarette brands in every case... something for everyone.

I also don't like Tabasco sauce, so I was able to hoard the little bottles of that stuff for barter. I made out fairly well.

Some of the cans of food I liked so well, I'd eat them today if given the chance. Especially the orange nut cake, sliced beef and potatoes, ham and mofos, and the beefsteak.

Old 06-20-2010, 03:16 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,189,293 times
For some reason my dad kept a few of these after WWII. I can remember him showing them to us kids in the early 60's. They did not look wonderful. Even un-opened. (Come to think of it since he was a Depression child who never threw anything out - because you never know what might come in handy 40 years later - I can understand that he kept them.)

Oh, and the condoms. We kids didn't get to see those! But somewhere along the line we heard about the films the GIs were shown before they went overseas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink