Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,111,972 times

Advertisements

I just don't like places where you have to whisper to your dining companions to avoid making a scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 03:32 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,212,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tough Questions View Post
In my hometown most of the nice family restaurants I remember growing up that use to serve steak. prime rib, roast beef and ham have gone out of business. They have been replaced with chain restaurants designed for the young hip folks. Standard American cuisine has been replaced with hip chief inspired food. But perhaps the most significant change is the energy level in these new restaurants. The music is incredibly loud and the building is constructed to make noise echo around the place.

What do you think of these loud busy restaurants? Do you like the high energy and the loud hip music? Or a quiet place with just a handful of tables?
As you allude to, there is scarcely really any such thing as a "quiet intimate" place any more...but it's not about the music. In fact I have found most places (with obvious exceptions eg sports pubs) play rather unobtrusive music and at fairly low levels.

But there are far too many obnoxious idiots out there who yap on their cell phones, let their kids misbehave or are otherwise rude and obnoxious to the point where I very rarely eat out at all.

You make me a place where no one under 18 is allowed and have a bouncer who isn't afraid to kick someone out for being rude and I'll pay a premium to eat there (assuming of course the food and service are at least decent).

PS I love just about any food from any country - including "boring" ham or beef or other standard American fare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink