Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 09:00 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,141,282 times

Advertisements

They were rude, and thoughtless, but as I read this, I have a potential explanation.

Maybe what they were saying is that they did not "need" all that for the cookbook. Still not super polite, but maybe they were focused on the cookbook, and overlooked the fact that your coworkers may have enjoyed the history?

I don't know. I just try to keep a positive outlook, and I am hopeful that people are at least "thoughtless", rather than outright "mean"...

I wish you were my co-worker, I would have made sure they went to an appreciative tummy (mine)...

Don't let it bother you, someone elses thoughtlessness shouldn't bring you down. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2010, 09:17 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,800,593 times
My suggestion: Put it behind you and wow everyone next time around with your follow-up culinary masterpiece.

Old 05-17-2010, 07:41 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,566,362 times
Rude and ignorant but sadly ill mannered people are Legion . I would have personally welcomed any kind of cultural introdcution to the dishes on offer but then again I love to learn new things. Some people just don't care and obviously only wanted to fill their bellies. Most people are simply selfish and thoughtless rather than actively nasty though. Being a sot and a bore is fortunately not a crime or our jails would be full !

I find it churlish and intellectually lacking in curiosity but I can't say I am surprised. I used to belong to Oxford University's International Society and we used to have get together where we all brought up dishes from our own part of the world. With details of the culture, history etc... It was always a popular evening and people were interested in the socio-cultural aspect of it but then again I suspect that was preaching to the converted already !

I used to love the Dance evenings , so much fun learning new dances from different parts of the world.

Old 05-17-2010, 08:06 AM

16,894 posts, read 16,023,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Rude and ignorant but sadly ill mannered people are Legion . I would have personally welcomed any kind of cultural introdcution to the dishes on offer but then again I love to learn new things. Some people just don't care and obviously only wanted to fill their bellies. Most people are simply selfish and thoughtless rather than actively nasty though. Being a sot and a bore is fortunately not a crime or our jails would be full !

I find it churlish and intellectually lacking in curiosity but I can't say I am surprised. I used to belong to Oxford University's International Society and we used to have get together where we all brought up dishes from our own part of the world. With details of the culture, history etc... It was always a popular evening and people were interested in the socio-cultural aspect of it but then again I suspect that was preaching to the converted already !

I used to love the Dance evenings , so much fun learning new dances from different parts of the world.
How wonderful all those memories are! I'll never forget the old days of being completely trashed at the drive-thru lane at Jack in the Box....and Jack, a big colored clown, would talk to you and then listen as you tried to speak....

Old 05-17-2010, 08:56 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,684,026 times
I think it was rude and could have been handled better. Just a note, while my family pronounces it the same way you do:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
They are called varenyky but we called them pedehey, which means "piece of heaven" I'm pretty sure.
the way I've always seen it written in Latin letters is: pyrohy. I think the "y" is supposed to be pronounced as an "eh". However, given the similarity to "pierogi" I'm guessing it has to do with the fact that my family's originally from western Ukraine near Poland.

Btw, if you'd be at all interested I've got an old cookbook from the '60s that was made by a bunch of Ukrainian church ladies. The holubtsi and varenyky/pyrohy recipes are pretty good, and there's also info on holiday foods. I could try to scan/type up a few.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
If they did that to me, I would bring an empty plate to the next potluck as a way of educating people of the suffering by the Ukrainian population under the Soviet regime.

Holodomor - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Haha, great idea.

Old 05-17-2010, 09:04 AM

13,032 posts, read 24,566,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainroosty View Post
How wonderful all those memories are! I'll never forget the old days of being completely trashed at the drive-thru lane at Jack in the Box....and Jack, a big colored clown, would talk to you and then listen as you tried to speak....
Good for you !

Not coulrophobic I take it then ? Drink driving and Clowns, what could be more fun....

Old 05-17-2010, 09:49 AM

16,894 posts, read 16,023,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Good for you !

Not coulrophobic I take it then ? Drink driving and Clowns, what could be more fun....
Coulrophobic? Not at all!!!! In fact, one time when I was face to face with Jack, I asked him for some fries. Well, the dirty bast*** gave me cold fries! Understandably offended, I opened my car door, got out, and proceeded to grind all of the fries into the microphone mouth on his stupid clown face...and suddenly his voice was all muted and garbled.
Seeing Jack injured, I drove away triumphantly content like a fighter after a knockout blow in round 1.

Old 06-01-2010, 01:53 AM

1,619 posts, read 2,036,055 times
I would hope someone took it home with them and read it. It was more than they asked for and it would've looked odd explaining in detail that dish and not the others, but I am sure people read it as they ate. I would definitely have read it. Never know when you will be on Jeopardy!! I live little quick facts instead of long drawn out history lessons.

I love pierogies; just had some cheese/potato ones today, so I am sure yours were delicious if they were made with love.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:12 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,845,295 times
Maybe they had the paper out with the food, and threw it away after the food was all gone?

I have to admit these kinds of cultural events can be a pain, if it's required. But you did say something about "volunteers", so hopefully your company didn't require people to do it. When my college-age kids were younger, throughout the years they were required to do cultural projects at school, and sometimes send in cultural dishes. Our families have been here for centuries, so we don't have any English/Irish/Scottish etc. dishes that we cook, we like plain old American food. It was awkward, and one teacher was rude about "our lack of a heritage". So maybe it's "my" type of person your company was trying to please, by not making too big a fuss over what was brought in? They just wanted it to be very casual? I don't know, I'm just trying to see it from another angle. I do agree it was thoughtless if they just threw out your paper without sharing it, though, if that is what happened. It's an interesting bit of history! It would make a cultural potluck all the more interesting, if everyone described the history of a dish.

Old 06-02-2010, 09:08 AM

44,283 posts, read 19,943,635 times
TKramar, thanks for sharing your recipe AND your history. At least your C-D friends appreciate your research and sharing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink