Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What ingrediants are req'd for "corn bread"
both egg and buttermilk 12 60.00%
either egg or some type of milk 3 15.00%
neither are req'd, just cornmeal 5 25.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 08:30 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,506,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
I'm having a friendly debate with some family members over whether to be called "corn bread" it has to have the following ingrediants: cornmeal mix, eggs, and buttermilk.

My sister makes it w/ buttermilk but no egg, my aunt makes it with egg but regular 2% milk instead of buttermilk. IMO if it hasn't got both egg and buttermilk it is not cornbread.

What do you all think?

heck, I can't remember if the recipe I had called for egg or not. Probably not, since it had creamed corn in it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 09:17 AM

13,250 posts, read 42,630,918 times
I use an egg and normal regular milk, not buttermilk. I also add a small can of corn to the batter, and drizzle the whole thing with honey when it comes out of the oven.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:33 AM

23,410 posts, read 36,826,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
heck, I can't remember if the recipe I had called for egg or not. Probably not, since it had creamed corn in it.
Usuallya recipe like that calls for an egg. I have a wonderful recipe for jalapeno cornbread, and it calls for an egg and the creamed corn.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:00 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,713,176 times
If it's made with cornmeal, then I'd call it cornbread. I typically use a mix packet, adding egg, and regular milk, and I add some sour cream to make it moist. If I happen to have some buttermilk on hand, then I will make it from scratch using a combinaiton of cornmeal, a small amount of flour, baking soda, backing powder, eggs, buttermilk, oil and usually a little sour cream, maybe a little sugar, but not much. My family doesn't do "sweet cornbread".

Old 05-28-2010, 12:53 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,603,800 times
yup gotta have cracklins and sour cream

Old 05-30-2010, 05:56 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,980,477 times
Never had cornbread with buttermilk as the milk part, tho it might be pretty good. Always used bacon drippings melted in the cornbread skillet and then poured into the batter leaving some behind in the skillet. After baking, the bread just pops out of the skillet like magic.

Now what we always call hot water cornbread is cornbread batter with hot water added instead of milk, spooned into, and fried in a skillet in about just under an inch of hot oil. If its fried on a griddle, I thought those were called hoecakes or johnnycakes. Only had that in Kentucky when I visited up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink