U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2010, 07:54 PM

25,906 posts, read 40,987,001 times

Advertisements

I want to make some blueberry or blackberry syrup or both this summer, and I also found an interesting recipe for buttermilk syrup.

Buttermilk Syrup - All Recipes

I would like to bottle them properly and give them as gifts at Christmastime. I've never canned before, but my husband did once. (He made mango jalepeno jelly, I believe.) Canning doesn't sound too complicated, just a bit labor intensive, but I think I would be okay at it.

But what about bottling?? Is it the same process? I would like to preserve these syrups in pretty bottles instead of jars, but I am not sure what kind of bottles to buy. I can easily go to the hardware store and get a case of mason jars, but I have not seen bottles.

Syrup 8 oz Glass Bottle w/ Cap - 28/400

These are the right shape, but they have a simple cap. The mason jars have a rubber seal and a two-part lid. Help! How do I know I am using the right stuff?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM

23,410 posts, read 35,500,737 times
If you are going to make a syrup, you are going to have to put them into jars and use the hot water bath method to seal the jars.
The syrup doesnt have as much pectin and sugar as jams and jellies, therefor a different preserving method has to be used.
Hot Water Bath Method for Processing in Home Canning. CanningUSA.COM - A great place to learn home canning!
I know the bottles would be prettier, but there isnt a method out there for the home canner to do it correctly.
The big commercial guys have a whole different method to do bottles.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink