Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 07:10 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times

Advertisements

Where I came from, when the corn crop peaked and the canneries couldn't keep up, every little town had a free Corn Boil. A polka band would be called for a Sunday afternoon, corn was boiled in stock tanks, and anyone who showed up could eat all they wanted free. I'm pretty sure I must have hit at least 15 ears, maybe 20. I watched my 90-year old mother eat six, after she had achieved the amazing feat of weighing less than her age. The annual corn boil is taken seriously.

My nephew and I once went out to a place famous for their malts, and after drinking one, we bought a half gallon of ice cream and took it home and ate that all by ourselves.

When I sailed across the Persian Gulf on a Kuwaiti dhow, there was nothing on board to eat except the cargo of watermelons. I have no idea how many watermelons I ate in 24 hours, but that's all there was, and they were free, so it was a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 10:16 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,138,946 times
About 25 years ago (or more) there was a restaurant outside of Charlotte, NC where I grew up, it was called "the Fish Farm". On Tuesday night they had all you can eat Salt and Pepper Catfish and Oysters on the Half Shell. My older sister and I (neither of us is large) ate 29 whole catfish and 55 oysters on the half-shell between the two of us. All at one sitting. I don't remember the price, but I'm pretty sure we got our money's worth.

Old 05-29-2010, 10:50 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,072,926 times
After running my first 50k, I remember eating the best pineapple ever, then gulping down a bag of those "baby carrots". Food never tasted so good. I later went out to an "all you can eat" Mexcan buffet. I don't even remember what I ate. I do remember that the waitstaff was shocked/appalled/amazed. I'm not sure they'd ever before witnessed someone consuming more than their body-weight in under one hour?

After a particularly hard 7 hour bike ride I also managed to scarf down a whole can of Pringles and third of a six pack in less than an hour (salt and calories...yum ).One of my co-riders wolfed down two "Whoppers" with extra EXTRA mayo as well.

I still remember (fondly) a 10+ hour mtb ride, which ended at a fast food joint. We scrounged around in our jersey pockets/hydration packs and we came up with ~ 2 bucks total. We then bought as much fat/salt/sugar and calories as we could: super-large fries and a large "orange" drink. OMG! That was sooooo good.

Or how about the time, when "lost" and suffering from hypothermia, during an adventure race, we had to panhandle at a Dairly Queen?

Finding our way back to civilization an ordering a pizza at 1 am? Priceless. The morning after breakfast buffet was even more so.

Great thread.

Most of my "pig-out" moments seem to involve stupidly-insane sporting events followed by stupidly-insane amounts of food.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:03 PM

1,642 posts, read 4,073,685 times
LOL! Great thread.

The only pigout I can really say I'm proud of was at a seafood place that had an AYCE whole lobster special, I ate 4 (tails & claws, I didn't pick thru the bodies much). I'm more proud of the value of the dinner than the actual comsumption though.

I remember in the 70's RED LOBSTER had AYCE king crab legs (the real thing, not those skinny "snow crabs" you see everywhere now). Those were the days...

I have always wanted the chance to see how many fried oysters I could eat. Perhaps I will find a contest someday and enter to try to get my fill (not to win, I'll leave that to the little Japanese guy)

Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 PM

42,618 posts, read 86,565,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmateo View Post
About 25 years ago (or more) there was a restaurant outside of Charlotte, NC where I grew up, it was called "the Fish Farm". On Tuesday night they had all you can eat Salt and Pepper Catfish and Oysters on the Half Shell. My older sister and I (neither of us is large) ate 29 whole catfish and 55 oysters on the half-shell between the two of us. All at one sitting. I don't remember the price, but I'm pretty sure we got our money's worth.
That reminds, me, the Bridge Cafe in Rulo, Nebraska, used to have an AYCE on Friday nights, very cheap, with wonderful home-made coleslaw and potato salad with Carp, if there was no Catfish, always fresh-caught right there in the Missouri River. Carp is really excellent, too. A couple of times, I had to be rolled to my car. My parents both ate like birds, and I took them there, and they ate like Pelicans.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:42 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,665,741 times
I am not a big foodie or an eater but I did have one pig out moment. We were at Tony Roma's and they had an all you can eat baby back rib special. So, not only did I have salad, onion rings and a baked potato but also 4 racks of ribs. To this day I don't know how I did that when normally I can't even finish a 6 inch tuna sub without being stuffed. And the waiter was shocked as well considering I was all of 95lbs at the time.

And yeah, I was sick for a couple of days afterwards but it was worth it at the time.

Old 05-30-2010, 04:16 AM

52,570 posts, read 47,690,485 times
Let's just say I've had too many to mention in one post that it would take up about two pages.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:15 AM

16,881 posts, read 15,993,964 times
I went to Taco Bell and ordered 15 cruchy tacos and ate them all right then and there.
I did it because they had a stupid paper placemat that said on it, "Believe or not, a man from (wherever) once ate 14 tacos - in one sitting!" So I ate 15.
Later I realized how they sales tactics worked on me.

Old 05-30-2010, 10:57 AM

2,053 posts, read 4,798,241 times
This has got to be the funniest thread I have read in a long time!!!

Old 05-30-2010, 07:33 PM

44,245 posts, read 19,902,941 times
I remember packing away a bazillion (slight exaggeration) peel-and-eat shrimp at a madrigal dinner in Kansas City, MO - 1981. They kept bringing them to the table by the bucket. At the time, I was flat broke and was happy to have anything to eat besides Kraft macaroni and cheese! I probably ate at least 40 shrimp. But hey - they were steamed, so at least they were relatively healthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink