Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 12:39 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,457 times

Advertisements

Our oven/stove died, and I'll be buying something ASAP. I prefer to get Gas, but we don't have Gas to our house, and I don't think I can make a quick turnaround, so that is out.

For the Flat-top:
-Can you use a Wok? Seems like it might be a problem.
-Can you use Cast Iron? What are the issues?

Regarding the Cast Iron, I've heard it can scratch the top, but my thinking is this: If you are careful it is OK. Unlike othercookware, Cast Iron just sits there. You get it hot, and cook in it. You don't saute, or otherwise move the pan around, so it "should" be OK if I"M careful.... Right?

What other issues, pro or con, to consider.

I will make a purchase tomorrow, so any quick feedback is appreciated.

(FWIW< I"m thinking a convection oven with ability to use/not use the convection feature would be nice. Maybe a Samsung? Trying to stay in the sub $1k range)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 12:46 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
I'm renting and have a flat glasstop range, I would never ever buy one for myself.

It truly sucks as when I am stirring a pot I have to HOLD the pot while I stir to prevent it moving off the burner. I'm thinking this would also be an issue with woks and stirfry?

I also bought a pressure cooker recently but had to return it when I read the manual which stated that brand had a slightly curved base which made it unsuitable for a flat top range, so looking for other brands that don't.

Actually if I was buying for myself I wouldn't buy electric at all - I much prefer the control you have with gas burners.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:50 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I have a glass top. Hate it. It's a pain to clean, and I preferred the precision of gas burners.

We have a giant skillet that we loved, but it warped on the glass top.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Funny you say that, I'm positive my largest cookpot has warped too as it never used to "wobble" but does now.

Old 06-03-2010, 12:57 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,193,585 times
I've never gotten a wok to work on a glass top, they either have to be too wide & flat on the bottom (thus not a wok) or are wobbly.

You're better off either getting a gas ring, or maybe one of the higher quality electric ones.

Old 06-03-2010, 01:05 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,186,569 times
I used to live in a rented home that had a gas range fed by a large propane bottle outside. I don't think it had to be changed but about once or twice a year. The stove worked just like one with natural gas - you couldn't notice any difference.

Residential Propane Service at Southern States - Southern States

Old 06-03-2010, 03:52 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,798,588 times
I agree with most above. I would never buy a flat top for many reasons. Oops sorry, for quick turn around guess electric is only choice. But, from all I've heard flat tops make cooking electric even worse. If you're a chef, converting to propane will probably be worth the effort.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:56 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
Of my friends that have flat top stoves - the ones that like them tend to be the ones who don't use them much - they are more interested in something that, as long as it sits in their kitchen, it may as well be easy to dust...My friends who have them who actually cook - don't like them very much.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:01 PM

17,330 posts, read 33,013,815 times
Hate, HATE, HATE!

All my life, I had electric stoves with coil burners. They did what they were supposed to do. I didn't give it a second thought.

Our house previous to this one had gas. It was fabulous.

This house doesn't not have a gas line. And the appliances were new and came with the house. Well, it was an electric flat top stove. Great! I always wanted one -- I thought they looked pretty.

The first time I used it, I thought I'd cry. I'm not a big cook, but I do like when my stove top actually gets hot, hot, HOT. And I also like when the pot or pan stays level with the burner so that it can GET that heat. Outta luck -- you can't get a flat top to really get as hot as you might like (i.e. I wanted to pan fry a steak a month or so ago, but I didn't even risk ruining the meat because I knew it wouldn't get sizzling hot), nor can you get the whole surface of the pot flush against the burner.

Just no. No, no, NO. Don't do it. The coil burners may not be as "pretty" as a flat top, but they actually do their job.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:09 PM

8,685 posts, read 16,842,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by quiet walker View Post
I used to live in a rented home that had a gas range fed by a large propane bottle outside. I don't think it had to be changed but about once or twice a year. The stove worked just like one with natural gas - you couldn't notice any difference.

Residential Propane Service at Southern States - Southern States
So agree here, I have coil electric now, and soon changing out to propane...I cannot handle the electric nor do I want to cook on it...If you have room to run LP, I would do it in a heartbeat if you like to really cook....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink