Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 04:33 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,968,624 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
They get around that by not mentioning maple on the label. I just checked the big three (Aunt J, Mrs. B and Log Cabin) and all three just say "syrup". Of course, they taste nothing like the real stuff that comes from a maple tree.
They can say "Maple-Flavored Syrup" as big and clear as they want, and "Artificially flavored" as little as they want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
I suppose they could, but there must be some market research behind the fact that they choose not to.

Old 06-04-2010, 08:38 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,815,650 times
It is unfortunate people buy bad food due to lack of knowledge or simply lack of time and patience to read labels.

I mentioned on other post before I learned to make my mushrooms cream I used to buy the low sodium kind, and one lady once randomly told me "no low sodium for me, I want the normal stuff" some things you don't even know how to answer...

The maple syrup is amazing. I have bought every single brand of "maple syrup" under the sun, and honestly I prefer to have my waffles with jam (easy to make at home and no weird ingredients) or butter than eating that. It is either the real thing or nothing. I am not being picky, but those are just bad: bad taste, bad quality, bad ingredients, just bad overall.

After I bought a juicer I make juice myself, but when I want storebought I buy a brand that is "not from concentrate" and "no sugar added" but ridiculously sweet bc there are good quality apples, that is all.

So most items I just make myself with natural produce or choose the natural stuff whenever possible. I prefer to spend at the grocery store than at the drugstore later.

Old 06-04-2010, 11:34 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,840,510 times
I'm SO lucky, my LL originally comes from Wi and still makes regular trips back and forth and often brings me little jugs of the real deal maple syrup - once you try the real stuff you'd never buy the fakes

Old 06-05-2010, 03:13 PM

1,882 posts, read 4,618,945 times
What is wrong w/good marketing? We all have more info than we even know what to do with, yet we blame others for our ignorance? But that is off topic.

I think people don't know what "real" tastes like anymore. Just try to keep as much processed/flavor added as ya can. Moderation is the key. We are a nation of quantity, not quality anymore. If we could just hang the "Jones'", we'd be better off.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:16 PM

837 posts, read 1,710,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
For a real lesson in 'deceptive', go to the shelf where the cranberry juice cocktail bottles are, and see how long it takes you to find the one containing only cranberry, with no other juices added. Warning: Don't let "Cranberry Juice Cocktail --- 100% juice" fool you. Take along a magnifying glass to read the list of ingredients.
Great thread!
I seldom buy juices, but recently bought an Ocean Spray cranberry/grape drink (and, stupidly, did not read the label until I got home). Then, I was shocked to find it had only 4% fruit juice.

There are many, many chemical factories who research, manufacture, and sell chemicals designed to mimic food flavors. (Google Food Flavor companies.) I have to say the cranberry/grape juice drink was delicious--they got the chemical mix just right. But I won't buy it again--it can hardly be considered food. Don't actually think it belongs in a grocery store.

Old 06-06-2010, 03:26 PM

3,042 posts, read 5,001,053 times
There's a store where I used to live that carried peanut butter:

32oz Natural Peanut Butter Zimmerman's Nuts and Candies : www.ZimmermansOnline.com (http://www.zimmermansonline.com/dbID/2.html - broken link)

They have a no sugar, no salt version (not listed). The prices were very good as well. I don't know if they ship.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:03 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Great thread!
I seldom buy juices, but recently bought an Ocean Spray cranberry/grape drink (and, stupidly, did not read the label until I got home). Then, I was shocked to find it had only 4% fruit juice. .
Actually, 15% fruit juice.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:05 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
What amazes me, as much as the salt/sugar thing, is the amount of ingredients. Really?!

When I make bread at home: flour, yeast, water, sugar, salt (very small amount, if so). Bread bought at the grocery store has a paragraph of ingredients. And some of them (I am a foodie!!) I need a dictionary when I get home to understand.

I try to make all I can at home and buy as much natural food as I can. It is not easy (food cost and time consuming, even though I really like to cook) but on the long run, it will make a difference.
I think you would be interested in an ice cream caled FIVE. I think it's by Haagen Dazs. It claims to have five ingredients. I think in general, milk, cream, sugar, and flavoring. Not sure what the fifth one would be--but that sounds about right. Eggs, maybe?

I bought some Simply Potatoes--and was surprised to see on the package directions: This product must be brought to 165 degrees for 2 minutes. Do not eat uncooked product.

Why? What bacteria resides in onions and potatoes? There were no eggs or meats involved...it just seems strange. I can only hope it got to the proper temp, since I haven't got one of those probe thermometers, and I'm not about to test every piece anyhow.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:12 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,654,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Great thread!
I seldom buy juices, but recently bought an Ocean Spray cranberry/grape drink (and, stupidly, did not read the label until I got home). Then, I was shocked to find it had only 4% fruit juice.

There are many, many chemical factories who research, manufacture, and sell chemicals designed to mimic food flavors. (Google Food Flavor companies.) I have to say the cranberry/grape juice drink was delicious--they got the chemical mix just right. But I won't buy it again--it can hardly be considered food. Don't actually think it belongs in a grocery store.

It doesn't make sense to me when they claim that a product with concentrated juice and filtered water has only a small percentage of "juice".

When they concentrate the juice, isn't it water that they are removing? The water merely reconstitutes it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink