Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 09:47 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post

I bought some Simply Potatoes--and was surprised to see on the package directions: This product must be brought to 165 degrees for 2 minutes. Do not eat uncooked product.

Why? What bacteria resides in onions and potatoes? There were no eggs or meats involved...it just seems strange. I can only hope it got to the proper temp, since I haven't got one of those probe thermometers, and I'm not about to test every piece anyhow.
That's most likely CYA stuff required by their insurers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2010, 09:58 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
TKramar, you are right, Five is a great choice. Thanks for mentioning it.

"From concentrate" is a total turn off to me. I just don't get the whole "concentrate"/"reconstitute" thing. Honestly, every time I drink stuff "from concentrate" I just taste colored, sugared water and a bunch of preservatives.

I know sometimes it is not possible as one might be busy, at work, etc. but I have a friend who says "Do you want juice? Do yourself a favor and eat some fruit."

Old 06-06-2010, 10:34 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I don't know why, exactly. I know that they want some uniformity, as well as--at least with orange juice--the ability to control how much pulp the drink has. I like mine pulpy.

I've had some sour orange juice from time to time, perhaps from a bad batch? I like it a little sweeter. But I do prefer juices that are comprised of as few ingredients as possible. Of course, they usually jack the price up so high that it's rare for me to be able to actually BUY it. Saw some juice the other day in the store that they wanted $3 a pint for! May not have even been a full pint. The brand was NAKED.

Old 06-06-2010, 11:06 PM

2,053 posts, read 4,814,140 times
As you live in Florida I am guessing you have a lot of oranges available for good prices, right?!

Old 06-07-2010, 02:58 AM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
It doesn't make sense to me when they claim that a product with concentrated juice and filtered water has only a small percentage of "juice".

When they concentrate the juice, isn't it water that they are removing? The water merely reconstitutes it.
They probably don't reconstitute it at the same ratio.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:59 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,544,526 times
About 2 months ago we stopped buying bread. It seemed I was throwing away too much of it. I started buying "sandwich rounds" which come 8 to a package, are a bit smaller than bread and just perfect for us. They are firm, come in many varieties such as whole wheat, rye etc. No waste either. I can toast them as they are nice and thin and I have even made toasted cheese sandwiches out of them. Another great sandwich can be made from the mini-forcaccia that I get at the deli/bakery dept. There are no preservatives in those, so you need to eat them within a day or two. No more regular bread for me.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:46 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
It is my understanding that in the USA, it is permissible to reconstitute a produce and claim it to be 100% pure. In fact, I've seen orange juice labels to that effect.

Reconstituting does affect the flavor, as anyone knows who has ever drunk a glass of reconstituted powdered milk. Or anybody who can remember ever having drunk a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice. Nowadays, if you gave a kid a glass of fresh-squeezed orange juice, they are likely to say, "Yuck, this tastes funny---it doesn't taste like orange juice at all".

The economic reasons for reconstitution are obvious. It is much cheaper to ship a tank truck full of concentrated OJ to Chicago, and then put the tapwater back into it there. Or even within Florida, since oranges are seasonal, OJ can be available all year round only by concentrating the product, freezing it, and then restoring it when needed.

Consider yourself lucky that they even have to tell you whether it is reconstituted or not.

By the way, I reconstitute myself. I buy tomato paste, instead of tomato sauce, and add water. There is zero salt in tomato paste, so I can control the sodium content. Compare the cost of a jar of spaghetti sauce, with the cost of a can of tomato paste and add your own water and spices.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:25 PM

837 posts, read 1,709,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Actually, 15% fruit juice.
No, it was 4%. Sugar-free, so maybe that's the difference.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:49 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,766,126 times
On Peanutbutter: The day I'm too lazy to stir a jar of peanutbutter to get the oil mixed with the solid, is the day I'm too lazy to deserve to eat. Barring physical disability, that's just..dang. Seriously lazy.

On Orange Juice: I don't really like orange juice, by itself. I prefer orange/grapefruit combined. And usually I find it much more palateable if I squeeze it myself. 1 Ruby red grapefruit, and the juice of 2 ripe blood oranges. Unrefrigerated, un-strained, no ice, in a tall glass. Heaven, and no commercial brand can imitate it.

Old 06-07-2010, 08:31 PM

23,416 posts, read 36,983,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaiam View Post
As you live in Florida I am guessing you have a lot of oranges available for good prices, right?!
You would be surprised, not really, unless you know someone that has citrus growing in their yard.
I almost never am able to get a decent tangerine at a store or stand, at least I have a good friend that grows amazing ones!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink