Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 09:55 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times

Advertisements

When my mom would open a can of peas, she'd always call me into the kitchen and let me drink the liquid out of the can, warning me to be careful not to cut my lip on the edge of the can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 11:00 AM

8,534 posts, read 7,404,265 times
when I would have my tea parties, Mom would make this incredible cheese spread and put it on bread ~~ then use different shape cookie cutters, and cut little sandwiches out. Fond memories.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
When my mom would make apple pie, she would sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on the pie crust remnants and bake that and we would eat them together.
I hadn't thought about that in years! My mom would make them into little pie-crust people. She also saved the apple peel for me. They looked like big curly snakes. The tart green Granny Smith skin is my favorite part of the apple.

Old 06-08-2010, 12:23 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,052,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine728 View Post
She's let me lick the beaters and spoon from making a cake
Or steal a little cookie dough when making cookies!

I got the spoon, beaters and the bowl.

And that was with five kids. I would lick my finger and stick it in the bowl and none of my sisters or brother would touch it.

Funny thing is my son does the same thing to my daughter.

busta

Old 06-08-2010, 02:01 PM

4,537 posts, read 9,190,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar0 View Post
When my mom would make apple pie, she would sprinkle some cinnamon sugar on the pie crust remnants and bake that and we would eat them together.
Same here

Old 06-08-2010, 03:47 PM

When potatoes were baked in the oven with a big holiday dinner, most people would cut theirs in half and squeeze the potato out on their plate, and set the peel aside. At that point they were informed that if they weren't going to eat their peel, I would. A little butter and salt inside, and squeezed back shut, and there is nothing in the world better than a good baked potato skin. To this day, I never peel a potato. Even for mashed potatoes, the skin stays right in there.

Another good potato reject is the dark nearly-burned edging around the top of an oven-dish of scalloped potatoes. That was always mine. I was so spoiled.

Old 06-08-2010, 04:55 PM

2,733 posts, read 1,545,867 times
As the only girl and the oldest of three children, my mom always made sure I got the white meat of the fried chicken. I would only eat the chicken breast (still the same way to this day), and mom always let me have first pick. Mom also always bought me my own box of chocolate covered cherries at Christmas, and I'd make them last a long time. Of course, back then, there were something like twenty to a box; not like today where there's only ten or twelve. Mom also did the cinnamon sugar pie crust leftovers with me, and I got to lick the beaters of the mixer when she made whipped cream or cakes. What I most remember about Mom, though, was she knew how much I hated the feel of onions and celery in my mouth, so when the recipe called for those things (like the dressing at Thanksgiving) she would mince them so finely that the flavor was there, but I couldn't feel them in my mouth! (Weird, I know.) I love my mom!

Old 06-08-2010, 07:14 PM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
This wasn't an edible treat, but my mother always saved the wishbone from the turkey. She would let it dry out and then two people grab the ends and pull until it snaps. The person who gets the larger top part gets one wish granted.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:24 PM

21,192 posts, read 25,168,171 times
Whenever I was sick and my mom gave me vegetable soup (canned - she doesn't really cooke that much) she would pick out the lima beans because she knew I hated them! I didn't think about it at the time - but how sweet is that! That isn't really a treat she would give me but sort of treating me with what she didn't give me!

Old 06-09-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewdrop93 View Post
Whenever I was sick and my mom gave me vegetable soup (canned - she doesn't really cooke that much) she would pick out the lima beans because she knew I hated them! I didn't think about it at the time - but how sweet is that! That isn't really a treat she would give me but sort of treating me with what she didn't give me!
When I was too sick to get out of bed, my mom would bring me cinnamon toast floating in bowl of milk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Food and Drink