Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2010, 11:30 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post
I received several notices for my '95 F150 before I finally took it in. The new harness looks like the one in the above pic and took 5 minutes to install.

I had a '93 Mark VIII, and never received a notice for it, and I was the 2nd owner. I was the 4th or 5th owner of the truck, and started receiving notices a few months after I bought it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2010, 12:48 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury Cougar View Post
Hmm. Is this a part I could replace myself? I have a 96 Ranger that I believe is in the recall. I don't remember getting a notice about it though. If it's an inexpensive part that I can replace myself that's a lot easier than me getting in to a dealer with my old daily-drive junker.
Having pulled the plug on my CrownVic, I still haven't gotten around to getting to a dealer to inquire further - but that's a good question and one I plan to ask the dealer when I go.

The question is whether there is a redesigned switch and I don't recall ever reading that there is. All I've seen are references to that silly fused wiring harness - which seems to me to be a half-assed solution anyway. One of the reasons I haven't taken the trouble to go to the dealer yet is that I predict that I'll wish I hadn't wasted my time.

Sooner or later I'm going to want to restore my cruise control, though, so I'm going to try to find out more soon and I'll post when I do.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:08 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,228,278 times
Only 40% said to have been taken in for the recall... wow, thats scary.

I am still so confused on mine... I have not disconnected it yet, but plan to. I ran the VIN on the car and now of course it says there are no recalls out on my car where I had taken it in back in July and they supposedly did the work. Like I said, as you can see, I didnt get the "fused wiring harness". I took it to 5 other dealers and all claimed, "yeah, its been done", but thats all they said. One said, "they replaced your entire switch". That may be, but that wasnt done when I took it to the dealer, because I can tell by looking that they did nothing to the car. That switch may be a newer style or something that is not the type to short out, I dont know. My car has the switches in a different area... I was told my car has the traction assist option which had it in a different location (switch facing downward instead of outward). When my uncle took in his 1997 Town Car, he got the new fused harness.... just never can understand why I didnt. I have not talked to anyone with a Town Car that took it in and never actually got anything but the fused harness. I really need to pay my dealer a visit that was supposed to perform the recall.

I have NEVER used my cruise... always kinda leary of using it, but we all have read that the fires can occur even when the car is not on.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:14 PM

362 posts, read 392,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron1999 View Post
If you own a Ford vehicle, made within the past 15 years or so, please read:

About 30 minutes ago I noticed smoke coming out of a Ford truck in the parking lot where I work. At first I thought it was somebody smoking a cigarette, but the smoke was constant and getting thicker.

That's when I noticed the flames under the driver's side wheel well. I yelled for another employee to call 911. Then I grabbed the fire extinguisher and ran out to the truck.

I sprayed the fire from the wheel well area. Then I noticed that the windows were down on the truck. I reached in, popped the hood latch, and sprayed the engine compartment. I put the fire out.

It looks to have been caused by the cruise control brake cutoff switch. Ford recalled those switches a couple of years ago. The owner of the vehicle came out and asked me what happened. I told him about the fire and about the recall of those switches.

He said, "I seem to remember hearing something about that, but I didn't think it applied to my truck." Big mistake.

Those switches can cause a fire even when the vehicle is parked and turned off. It would have been catastrophic if he had been parked in a garage or under a carport.

So, to make a long story even longer, if you know anybody who owns a Ford vehicle, tell them to call their dealership and ask if the recall applies to them. I don't recall the exact years, or models, that were affected by the recall.

I'm not knocking Ford at all. I own a Ford truck that was affected by the recall. I had my switch replaced a couple of years ago.
Fords catching on fire. Who would've thunk it..

Old 10-22-2010, 08:28 PM

12,350 posts, read 9,720,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post
Only 40% said to have been taken in for the recall... wow, thats scary.

I am still so confused on mine... I have not disconnected it yet, but plan to. I ran the VIN on the car and now of course it says there are no recalls out on my car where I had taken it in back in July and they supposedly did the work. Like I said, as you can see, I didnt get the "fused wiring harness". I took it to 5 other dealers and all claimed, "yeah, its been done", but thats all they said. One said, "they replaced your entire switch". That may be, but that wasnt done when I took it to the dealer, because I can tell by looking that they did nothing to the car. That switch may be a newer style or something that is not the type to short out, I dont know. My car has the switches in a different area... I was told my car has the traction assist option which had it in a different location (switch facing downward instead of outward). When my uncle took in his 1997 Town Car, he got the new fused harness.... just never can understand why I didnt. I have not talked to anyone with a Town Car that took it in and never actually got anything but the fused harness. I really need to pay my dealer a visit that was supposed to perform the recall.

I have NEVER used my cruise... always kinda leary of using it, but we all have read that the fires can occur even when the car is not on.
I understand because I, too, was nervous about using the cruise until I read more about the problem and came to understand that the fires have nothing to do with using the cruise or not. And if you never use your cruise, that's all the more reason to pull that plug immediately to eliminate the fire risk.

Yes, the likelihood of a fire in any one car is very small, but the result is catastrophic if you're one of the few with a very unlucky day. I sleep better with mine unplugged.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeepoRsheep View Post
Fords catching on fire. Who would've thunk it..
Yeah, its normally a Mopar thing (at least as far as the late 80s-90s models go.

Old 10-22-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
I understand because I, too, was nervous about using the cruise until I read more about the problem and came to understand that the fires have nothing to do with using the cruise or not. And if you never use your cruise, that's all the more reason to pull that plug immediately to eliminate the fire risk.

Yes, the likelihood of a fire in any one car is very small, but the result is catastrophic if you're one of the few with a very unlucky day. I sleep better with mine unplugged.
I am going to unplug mine tomorrow.....

Old 12-05-2011, 08:28 PM

1 posts, read 999 times
Default Ford F150 2010 Lariet

On May 11th of 2011, I parked my 5 month old Ford F150 in my garage after returning from work. About an hour later my kids were inside while I went to the garden. I turned to see black smoke bellowing from the roof of my garage. I ran frantically to get my kids out of the house, and thank God they were alright. Long story short, the cause of the fire which completely destroyed my house and all of its contents, incinerated my truck, caused burns to me that kept me in the hospital for two days, and killed family pets that could not escape, was the 2010 Ford F150 Lariet I had purchased 5 months earlier. It had approx. 4,700 miles on it. The forensic investigators determined it was an electrical short and engine compartment fire. My insurance company has filed claim against Ford Motor Co. , I am doing the same. Their product failed, big time It turned my kids and my life upside down. I will never buy another Ford.

About 30 minutes ago I noticed smoke coming out of a Ford truck in the parking lot where I work. At first I thought it was somebody smoking a cigarette, but the smoke was constant and getting thicker.

That's when I noticed the flames under the driver's side wheel well. I yelled for another employee to call 911. Then I grabbed the fire extinguisher and ran out to the truck.

I sprayed the fire from the wheel well area. Then I noticed that the windows were down on the truck. I reached in, popped the hood latch, and sprayed the engine compartment. I put the fire out.

It looks to have been caused by the cruise control brake cutoff switch. Ford recalled those switches a couple of years ago. The owner of the vehicle came out and asked me what happened. I told him about the fire and about the recall of those switches.

He said, "I seem to remember hearing something about that, but I didn't think it applied to my truck." Big mistake.

Those switches can cause a fire even when the vehicle is parked and turned off. It would have been catastrophic if he had been parked in a garage or under a carport.

So, to make a long story even longer, if you know anybody who owns a Ford vehicle, tell them to call their dealership and ask if the recall applies to them. I don't recall the exact years, or models, that were affected by the recall.

I'm not knocking Ford at all. I own a Ford truck that was affected by the recall. I had my switch replaced a couple of years ago.[/quote]

Old 11-16-2014, 12:53 PM

1 posts, read 745 times
I had my control arm speed disconnected. I took my car to a mechanic to have my body frame mount worked on. As my driving to work that day my car catches fire. The mechanic apparently connected the switch again and now I have 3000 in dsmages that neither he or Ford is taking responsibility for. I tried everything to get them to take responsibility and now I have been without a car for a month. BBB, freshfromflorida, and even trying to seek a lawyer who will cost more than the repairs didnt help. The mechaic I brought it to was fast lane automotive on Hoffner in Orlando
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln