Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2010, 10:11 PM

82 posts, read 118,135 times

Advertisements

I am looking into the 2008 - 2010 Ford Escape Limited v6 and want to keep my note under $22k. I have a couple of options I'm going to look at this weekend. My fiancee and I want to take advantage of the end-of-year sale so we definitely trying to close before xmas. I have already been pre-approved with my bank but I want to make a smart purchase since it is an investment.

For those who have experience buying a pre-owned vehicle from a different dealer, I would like some professional advice what are some pros and cons buying a pre-owned Escape from a Toyota dealership...? How do I know I am getting the best price also? Would the remaining warranty be honored? I believe Ford offers 6yr / 100,000 mile on powertrain

Oh.. WHat are some tips you might have used on negotiating to get the best possible price?

Thanks for all the advice and your time!

AL

Last edited by Bo; 11-19-2010 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2010, 10:58 PM

7,005 posts, read 12,471,290 times
Check Edmunds, NADA, and Kelley Blue Book for the estimated value of the vehicle.

I saw a segment a few weeks ago on GMA showing people how to negotiate on car prices. They said to always bring someone with you who is a detractor. For example, you could take your fiancee with you who will be a cynic about everything offered. Don't be afraid to walk away and say you're going somewhere else. You have the advantage since you've already been pre-approved with your bank. Tell them you only have a certain amount to spend and you can't go over that. And don't mention any trade-ins until a deal has been made. Dealers will try to add what's being offered for the trade-in onto the total price of the vehicle.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:01 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,874,074 times
Very good advice meisha.

Also once a price has been settled be sure to find some defect in the car and only mention it then so they can knock off even more. State you will have to fix that out of pocket. Even if it is a minor defect use it to your advantage.

Also don't let them lowball the price of the vehicle only to jack up the interest rate afterward. That is a common scam in the industry. If they can't get you in the front end they try and do so in the back end.

Old 11-19-2010, 08:28 AM

291 posts, read 607,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meisha210 View Post
Check Edmunds, NADA, and Kelley Blue Book for the estimated value of the vehicle.

I saw a segment a few weeks ago on GMA showing people how to negotiate on car prices. They said to always bring someone with you who is a detractor. For example, you could take your fiancee with you who will be a cynic about everything offered. Don't be afraid to walk away and say you're going somewhere else. You have the advantage since you've already been pre-approved with your bank. Tell them you only have a certain amount to spend and you can't go over that. And don't mention any trade-ins until a deal has been made. Dealers will try to add what's being offered for the trade-in onto the total price of the vehicle.

Great advice, that’s what I always do. I love being the detractor, always be nice and polite to the sales person. I love asking questions and bringing up " why don’t you just keep your old car, I would not sink my funds into a depreciating asset. " Usually after I say that the salesman will do whatever it takes to get the deal done. It a fine game of complimenting the car and planting doubt in the mind of the sales man. I’m usually able to get several thousands of dollars off a car, depending on dealer and make model. This of course depends on time of year, new or used and additional variables. Edmunds.com is the place to go.

Old 11-19-2010, 12:51 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,537,374 times
The warrenty from Ford would only be good at Ford dealers not at Toyota. Most only offer 30 day warrenty for vehicles they sell from other makes. best to ask the salesman first.
That said, do an internet search on common problems with Escapes after 08. I have heard that their reliablilty has gone down hill recently.

Old 11-19-2010, 01:47 PM

3,135 posts, read 11,885,624 times
It has a pathetic 200HP V6. Most V6 small SUVs are over the 250HP mark.

I would say the 0-60 of 10 seconds (same as a Prius) is a safety issue, since the vehicle can't get out of it's own way

Toyota Rav4 V6 and Subaru Forester XT do 0-60 in the mid 6 range. I'd go this route personally.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:25 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
The warrenty from Ford would only be good at Ford dealers not at Toyota. Most only offer 30 day warrenty for vehicles they sell from other makes. best to ask the salesman first.
That said, do an internet search on common problems with Escapes after 08. I have heard that their reliablilty has gone down hill recently.
The factory warranty should surpass the dealer warranty.
Never heard of any relability issues after 08. In fact Ford has the highest reliability of makers.
If you have a trade in sell it on your own. I have seen where dealers end up passing all of the trade in back at you, you end up paying them to take your car.

Year end sales are only for new cars, not used.

My wife gets 20 city and 35 freeway on her 08 Escape. To all the nay sayers, she is light on the gas pedal.

Old 11-19-2010, 03:49 PM

313 posts, read 324,510 times
Escapes have had two major problems that pop up. One is the rear axle seals leaking and the other is when you are filling up the fuel tank it keeps kicking back shutting off the pump. Other then that they are pretty nice and i like how they set up higher then a car. Good luck.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:54 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,603,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo700 View Post
One is the rear axle seals leaking and the other is when you are filling up the fuel tank it keeps kicking back shutting off the pump.,,.
Must be on the 4x4 models.
There has been quite the recall on gas nozzles in CA. They were popping right of the the gas fillers for a while at some stations.

Old 11-19-2010, 10:13 PM

313 posts, read 324,510 times
Yes, my experience is only on the awd escapes. Ford has a tsb on replacing the fuel inlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln