U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2011, 10:16 AM

4,493 posts, read 7,201,950 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post
A bodyshop could use this one from a '64 Mustang and fab it to fit pretty easily:

$35 from Macs.

Thanks! You've been a big help! I appreciate your time answering my questions!

Just wondering if those frame rails fit over the existing rails or does a section of rail has to be cut off and welded to existing rail and body? What would be the ideal way to approach the lower rear quarter panels on that car? It has some rot filled in with bondo. A small patch kit, maybe?

You're a body man? What would a fair price on a paint job be for? Wanting to get it as original as i can and the color is heritage burgundy.

I may just do this restoration for my daughter for her first car. (lol)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 AM

4,493 posts, read 7,201,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Check the metal under the vinyl roof.
The vinyl roof on the outside is peeled off except for the back, so it is already visible. The roof isn't rotted, luckily. There happens to be a brand new roll of vinyl in the car ready for prep.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:44 AM

5,228 posts, read 14,057,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Continental View Post
Merc, your first car was a 63 coupe right? I like your vert and plan. I like the blue interior in there now. What is your plan for the interior?
the turquoise interior is trashed right now. Since I want to do the outside in the pearl tangelo, the interior will probably be done in black and oyster. I'd love to hav ethe '60-61 Falcon upper dash, but I think it's going to be cleaned, shaved and smoothed, with individual gauges in custom trim. No, not just a bunch of aftermarket gauges slapped in a plate or across the dash, like so many do, but a balanced, frenched in set with a custom bezels. Kind of a cross between stock Comet, new Aston Martin, and Foose's Impression:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Thanks! You've been a big help! I appreciate your time answering my questions!

Just wondering if those frame rails fit over the existing rails or does a section of rail has to be cut off and welded to existing rail and body?
For the "frame rails" it's a replacement part. Drill out or grind off the factory spot welds and then weld the new one in place. Since it's only sheetmetal and not thick "frame" metal, it's not too difficult. I'm in the middle of doing something very similar on an MGB GT for a friend.

Quote:
What would be the ideal way to approach the lower rear quarter panels on that car? It has some rot filled in with bondo. A small patch kit, maybe?
Cut it out and use a replacement panel from someplace like Macs. it COULD be done welding in a bit of plain sheetmetal of the same thinckenss, but usually it's gone into the part that curves under, so it's just easier to get one already formed. Less time consuming and a better job, so it's actually cheaper than hand forming it out of sheetmetal.

Quote:
You're a body man? What would a fair price on a paint job be for? Wanting to get it as original as i can and the color is heritage burgundy.
Depends on how "nice" you want it. For a good driver, I'd say do as much prep as you can do yourself (trim removal, basic masking and sanding with 320 grit) and take it to Maaco. Serious. MOST of the cost in a paint job is labor and prep, and at Maaco, in order to paint your car, they aren't going to pay someone the time it takes to prep a car properly (and prep is 90% of the finished job). So it looks like hell and won't last. If you do that prep part yourself (and it's relatively easy, just time consuming) then the finished job can actully rival better shops.

Otherwise a complete paint job done properly will be 2-3k to start with. And I've ended up redoing so many "well, my brother has a friend who'll do it for $200 and some beer" paint jobs for people that learned about doing it cheap the hard way.

Old 03-22-2011, 06:28 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,646,362 times
It is best to check the book value of the car you want to restore BEFORE you start spending money on it. If the book says its worth 5 k for example spending 10 k is just throwing 5k away.

Old 03-22-2011, 09:19 PM

4,237 posts, read 23,640,392 times
One thing to keep in mind when you restore a car....don't think about "what will it be worth when I'm done with it". Because you almost never get back out of a car as to what you have invested.

Instead build the car with the intentions you plan to never sell. Yes I know sometimes you might be forced to but don't think of it on that level.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
It is best to check the book value of the car you want to restore BEFORE you start spending money on it. If the book says its worth 5 k for example spending 10 k is just throwing 5k away.
Did you check the book value of the vacation you took before spending money on it to see how much you could profit off of it? Did you check the book value of a used dinner before spendiong money on a nice night out?

This is a HOBBY. ROI is in how it makes you feel, not in how much you can make on it.

If you never sell a hobby car, what does book value matter anyihow? And at least cars like this are holding their value or even appreciating, unlike a new car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deez Nuttz View Post
One thing to keep in mind when you restore a car....don't think about "what will it be worth when I'm done with it". Because you almost never get back out of a car as to what you have invested.

Instead build the car with the intentions you plan to never sell. Yes I know sometimes you might be forced to but don't think of it on that level.
Exactly.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 AM

1,742 posts, read 5,749,871 times
People do it though since it often can cost more to restore a car than it is worth. I think plenty of classics that only book for $5-$10 in showroom condition are going to be hard to find a good deal on though.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,646,362 times
My point is the "right car" will return to you almost every dollar you spend on it (not talking about your time spent on the hobby)Im talking about true restored to original correct cars, Modified cars almost never bring back what you have spent.

Old 03-23-2011, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nativechief View Post
My point is the "right car" will return to you almost every dollar you spend on it (not talking about your time spent on the hobby)Im talking about true restored to original correct cars, Modified cars almost never bring back what you have spent.
I disagree. I've turned a profit on just about every modified car Iv'e built, or at least sold them for more than a stock one would go for in the same condition. The only exception I've found to this is in ultra rare exotics or ultra rare antique/classic cars.

But ever price street rods vs stock versions in the same condition?

Which one of these is worth more?

And guess which one has a larger number of potential buyers?

Whne I built my V8 RX7, a good condition stock '86 non-turbo was worth about $2500. I had paid $1500 for mine, and had another $2500 into it. A stocker with that much into it would have brought me $2500. My modded car brought me well over $8k.

My falcons pictured earlier are also prime examples. Both were worth MUCH more in modded form than they would have been in stock form in the same condition, yet it cost the same to mod them as it would have to bring them back to good stock condition.

Again, if you WANT a stock one, then build it that way. But don't build any car like this for someone else, or with an eye to making money. I wouldn't build a car for me with an eye on the next owner any more than I'd get a girlfriend with an eye towards perfecting her for her next boyfriend, or marry someone with an eye towards preparing her for her next husband...

Old 03-23-2011, 01:51 PM

1,742 posts, read 5,749,871 times
You sold your RX7 and for $8k? It was a nice car, but you did real well on that sell.

I've always made money on the cars I've bought as well.

As far as restomods, they certainly have there place and often go for more than a stock car. Really unless it is a Corvette, rare muscle car, or some other rare car, nowadays restomods will bring more. I like both, but I do feel that unfortunately a lot less original restorations will be done due to the younger generation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln