Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 07:05 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,734 times

Advertisements

I have started getting a squeak, actually more like a creaking noise when I depress the brake pedal in my 2007 Mustang. It is not coming from the brakes, it is the pedal. The noise stops once the pedal is down. It doesnt make the noise when the pedal is releasing, only when going down. And it doesnt do it every time. I had the brakes looked at last time at the dealer in May since I was at 35k and didnt know how long brakes are supposed to last lol, they inspected the brakes and assured me my brakes were fine. (My dealer mechanic loves me, I am the quintessential stereotyped female when it comes to cars.) It isnt really loud. It sounds like when you have a creaky door hinge something needs to be greased or something. The brakes themselves work perfectly and the car stops normally.

I live in AZ, so it gets hot and dusty, not sure if that could be related.

Not sure if cars are like people and just creak when they get old, if it is just a maintenance item, or if its something more serious and I need to get to a mechanic asap because the brakes are on the verge of failure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2011, 09:47 AM

7,780 posts, read 21,873,537 times
crawl up under the dash and inspect where the pivot point for the pedal is and lubricate it.

Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 AM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
The bushings in the pedal box are dry, or the linkage bushing to the master cylinder is dry.

A lube spray ... I prefer the teflon sprays, like TriFlow brand ... and a couple seconds of application to the bushings will cure this. You'll need to operate the brake pedal a few times to allow the lube to penetrate into the metal shaft and plastic bushings, but it will get there and quiet the noise very quickly.

Old 09-24-2011, 08:45 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,207,734 times
I ended up having to get the car towed to the dealer when the battery died and had them look at the brakes. Thy told me they needed to flush the brake lines? The creaky noise went away after they did, so not sure what that was?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:44 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,163,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivanabacowboy View Post
I ended up having to get the car towed to the dealer when the battery died and had them look at the brakes. Thy told me they needed to flush the brake lines? The creaky noise went away after they did, so not sure what that was?
Most likely the tech that did the brake flush also lubed the brake pedal linkage under the dash to be pro-active about not having a come-back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Ford and Lincoln